Curling irons

JazzyTheTraveler

Hi All - I’m heading on an Antarctic expedition on Le Boreal next month. An interesting question was posed on the Trip Advisor Antarctic Peninsula forum group recently that no one had an answer for. Question was about whether a passenger could take a curling iron on the ship. I’m not a big cruiser, but recall when I went on my Arctic voyage with Viking right before covid that I was able to use my curling iron and there were no restriction (at least not that I know). So, wondering if this no curling iron is really a thing for Ponant. Thank  you!

Ponant says this in their FAQ:

Are onboard power sockets European standard? 

Yes, the 220 volt 50 hertz alternating current is distributed by sockets meeting European standards. Onboard power is 200 volt AC (European standard) and 110 volt AC (North American standard). For safety reasons, hair irons and clothes irons cannot be used in staterooms. Please note that on Le Ponant, 110 volt AC is only available in stateroom bathrooms.

I don't know that we knew this might even be an issue before you asked the question, so we may not have always complied. 😶

As an aside, the 110 volt outlet is at the desk and does not have a mirror nearby. There is a 220 volt outlet by the full-length mirror.

12 minutes ago, tnm6217 said:

@AussieBoyTX I was planning to take a travel straightener with me on Le Dumont d'Urville next month.  I'm assuming based on your response that Ponant doesn't check your luggage for "contraband"?

I don't know what Ponant does with the bags between when we drop them off and when they're delivered to the suite, but we have not had anything confiscated (or even any mention of the contents).

2 hours ago, tnm6217 said:

@AussieBoyTX I was planning to take a travel straightener with me on Le Dumont d'Urville next month.  I'm assuming based on your response that Ponant doesn't check your luggage for "contraband"?

@tnm6217 for what it’s worth, I use dual voltage curling irons when I travel, so it can work in both 110 and 220 volt plugs. Don’t know if that helps you but it def is easier so they don’t fry the sockets.

Thank you @AussieBoyTX for the info. 

• Like 1