Naples - Suggested backup plan to Capri on a bad day

MeHeartCruising

I'm headed to the Mediterranean again in May 2023 and I'm starting to write up my master plan for the trip.  For Naples, I'm planning on dedicating the day to Capri.  I've been to Capri on a previous trip years ago, but it was way too brief of a visit since it was crammed in with Pompeii and Sorrento as part of a ship excursion.  Now a much more seasoned traveler in Europe, I will plan on doing Capri on my own using the great info here on Cruise Critic.

What I'm looking for, however, is what I should do as a backup plan should the day be rainy weather, rough waters in the Bay, etc.  I won't likely know this until the day of arrival so I can't book a ship excursion at the last minute.  I've already been to Pompeii twice.  I've been to Herculaneum.  The last time I was in Naples, it rained and I still was able to walk to the Archeological Museum for a few hours and then back along Via Toledo to the Piazza del Plebiscito area.  The weather cleared up a little, so this was actually an enjoyable day, albeit damp.

I've seen info about the couple of Underground options and that's a possibility, although perhaps not all that much of interest to me.  But it would do.  

Any other suggestions for not-so-nice day activities in Naples that could be reached by walking, taxi, metro or other public transportation?

Edited by MeHeartCruising

There is so much to see and do right in Naples, but there are also great options not far away.

Herculeneum is one of them, an easy 15 minute train ride from Naples.

A bit further out, also by train but heading northbound, is the royal palace and gardens at Caserta.

There are the ruins at Baia and Cuma, about a half hour by local train.

But right in Naples there is a wealth of treasures, like the Capodimonte art museum, the Certosa di San Martino museum, the Cappella Sansevero with the famous Veiled Christ, the nativity scene shops along Via San Gregorio Armeno, the cloisters at Santa Chiara, the royal apartments, teatro San Carlo, ... I could go on but you get the idea.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We give our support to Euro Cruiser's response.  As independent travelers we usually have a Plan B in case of lousy weather.  In the case of Naples it is to simply stay in Naples, enjoy one or more of the museums, and enjoy a nice lunch (the pizza in Naples is always a treat).  

Hank

• Like 3

On 10/19/2022 at 12:34 PM, euro cruiser said:

There is so much to see and do right in Naples, but there are also great options not far away.

Herculeneum is one of them, an easy 15 minute train ride from Naples.

A bit further out, also by train but heading northbound, is the royal palace and gardens at Caserta.

There are the ruins at Baia and Cuma, about a half hour by local train.

But right in Naples there is a wealth of treasures, like the Capodimonte art museum, the Certosa di San Martino museum, the Cappella Sansevero with the famous Veiled Christ, the nativity scene shops along Via San Gregorio Armeno, the cloisters at Santa Chiara, the royal apartments, teatro San Carlo, ... I could go on but you get the idea.

Thank you euro cruiser.  This is exactly the type of response I was hoping for.  I've already been to Herculaneum.  But I'll take note of the other suggestions and put them on my research list for my Plan B.

• Like 1

What I'm looking for, however, is what I should do as a backup plan should the day be rainy weather, rough waters in the Bay, etc.

the nativity scene shops along Via San Gregorio Armeno, the cloisters at Santa Chiara

These were a couple of the sights we enjoyed on our most recent visit to Naples. Our name for San Gregorio is Christmas Street which we revisited.  Every Christmas we still put out the small nativity scene we bought there on our first Naples visit almost 25 years ago.  It is a souvenir which always reminds us of our first visit. The cloisters really are beautiful, and peaceful too. We also explored the "centro historico"  on foot in more detail for the first time and enjoyed it more than we had expected to. We googled something like "self guided walk around centro historico Naples".  and followed  a route we found.. And had pizza for lunch!

if you have never been up there before and the rain is not too heavy nor the cloud too low, do take the funicular up to the famous viewpoint in front of Castel Sant'Elmo for an outstanding view. Have been up there twice over the years although never having been in to the actual castle cannot comment on it.

And around 4 or 5 years ago on another Naples port day we revisited Herculaneum as we had seen on a tv programme that more areas had been excavated and opened to the public since our first visit.  We didn't mind the revisit at all.

Many many suggestions on Tripadvisor.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 2

On 10/19/2022 at 6:34 PM, euro cruiser said:

But right in Naples there is a wealth of treasures, like the Capodimonte art museum, the Certosa di San Martino museum, the Cappella Sansevero with the famous Veiled Christ, the nativity scene shops along Via San Gregorio Armeno, the cloisters at Santa Chiara, the royal apartments, teatro San Carlo, 

As a plan B for a rainy, ughly day, all off the later indoor sights would be a good option. I would not visit the mentioned Certosa or the castle next door on the same mountain, as part of their enjoyment is the most faboulos view, on a bright, sunny day that is.

If the weather really bad, of course the Fortezza right next to the terminal is the option with the least exposure, followed by the royal palace.

• Like 2

On 10/19/2022 at 12:24 PM, MeHeartCruising said:

I've seen info about the couple of Underground options and that's a possibility, although perhaps not all that much of interest to me.  But it would do.  

If you do come across any good underground tours in Naples, can you share them please?

Galleria Borbonica or Catacombs of San Gennaro do sound interesting, but I haven't done either one (yet), so I cannot recommend as per rules of this forum. 

There are two underground tours in Naples, Napoli Sotterranea and Galleria Borbonica.

Home - Napoli Sotterranea

Galleria Borbonica - Bourbon Tunnel - NAPOLI SOTTERRANEA

There are other tours that occur underground, like the catacombs (San Gennaro, San Gaudioso) or the roman marketplace under San Lorenzo Maggiore.

Catacombs of Naples and Rione Sanità (catacombedinapoli.it)

Home ing - La Neapolis Sotterrata - Napoli

• Like 2