Any information on current levels of Mississippi River threatening cruises out of New Orleans

yancycruiser

There was a story about this in this morning's paper. The near record low levels of the Mississippi have had some effect on river cruises up-river from New Orleans, but not the cruises leaving from the Port. The stretch from New Orleans to the Gulf is dredged.

• Thanks 3

Yes. The problems seem to be north of New Orleans, where the river is not dredged, and mainly effects river cruises. Cargo ships seldom travel more than about 20 miles above NO, and they have not been effected. The river is always lowest in fall/winter, but drought in northern states has made it even more so this year. 

• Thanks 2

• 5 weeks later...

Just got off the Viking Mississippi a few hours ago. Left New Orleans with no problem but only got as far as Vicksburg. Tried to get further but we’re turned around as river too shallow. We are now being bussed to Memphis. 4 hrs. Viking came together quickly so no one should miss their flights but it did play havoc with all the extensions. The ship on the other hand although new needs some serious work. The worst Viking experience we’ve ever had. 

My wife and I were in the French Quarter yesterday and took a walk along the river. There is about a 20' "beach" between the river and the levee, not too unusual for this time of year. One cruise ship in port and lots of freighters going up and down, with no problems.

1 hour ago, jgmpuma said:

My wife and I were in the French Quarter yesterday and took a walk along the river. There is about a 20' "beach" between the river and the levee, not too unusual for this time of year. One cruise ship in port and lots of freighters going up and down, with no problems.

The problems are more evident up-river.

Viking operates an itinerary from NOLA to Memphis.

I noticed the other day that the segment from Vicksburg to Memphis is by bus.