Istanbul - Viking Ocean Cruise - shuttle bus service to town?

We're on the Viking Sky cruise and destined to arrive in Istanbul tomorrow.  In just about every port we've visited so far, there has been a very efficient shuttle bus arranged by Viking to take us into / from town. This applied, for example, to smaller places like Dubrovnik and bigger places like Athens.  But I just asked 'guest services' if there is a shuttle in Istanbul, and they said no. I find this hard to believe, given the distance of the port from the old town (eg, Topkapi area) and the new town (eg, Taksim square area).  If not, we have figured out the T1 tram and the F1 Funicular; it just seems odd they aren't providing the shuttle. 

Updating my own post for others - there is no Viking shuttle for some reason, but - the public transit system in Istanbul is very good and we were able to get from the cruise terminal (Galataport) to the  Topkapi Palace / Mosque area by taking the 'T1' metro line that runs right by the terminal (Tophane station), getting off at 'Gulhane'. Later, we took the same 'T1' line (this time, 'Sultanahmet' stop, near Grand Bazaar) back up to its terminus at Kabatas, then took the 'F1' funicular service up to Taksim Square, and returned by the same route later to Tophane and the port. 

To call the T1 line 'busy' would be an understatement - made the London Underground at rush-hour look like a Sunday afternoon - but it was fun to ride with the locals.  Buying the 'Istanbulkart' transit card was a challenge as I couldn't figure out how to switch languages on the machine (there's a 'UK' flag for 'english' but I couldn't get it to 'take' the setting), and you have to a) buy the card then b) swipe the card, then c) add money to the card ... not easy when the instructions are in Turkish, and there's a long line of busy travelers behind you!  More fun than being taken in a 'private shuttle', though! 

Edit To Add: I need to mention the brand new 'Galataport' cruise terminal in Istanbul. It's HUGE!  Whereas in most ports, you just stroll off the ship, pass through a few control points, and then exit to the street, at this new Galataport you are routed through a maze of underground passages - LONG passages, with no decorations, no services. It's as if it were built to be the busiest port on earth, and yet, there are no people! You walk a ridiculous distance just to get in/out of the port. After spending an entire day walking around Istanbul, this was definitely the least attractive part of the whole day. 

Edited by Steerpike58
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2022 at 1:12 PM, Steerpike58 said:

Updating my own post for others - there is no Viking shuttle for some reason, but - the public transit system in Istanbul is very good and we were able to get from the cruise terminal (Galataport) to the  Topkapi Palace / Mosque area by taking the 'T1' metro line that runs right by the terminal (Tophane station), getting off at 'Gulhane'. Later, we took the same 'T1' line (this time, 'Sultanahmet' stop, near Grand Bazaar) back up to its terminus at Kabatas, then took the 'F1' funicular service up to Taksim Square, and returned by the same route later to Tophane and the port. 

To call the T1 line 'busy' would be an understatement - made the London Underground at rush-hour look like a Sunday afternoon - but it was fun to ride with the locals.  Buying the 'Istanbulkart' transit card was a challenge as I couldn't figure out how to switch languages on the machine (there's a 'UK' flag for 'english' but I couldn't get it to 'take' the setting), and you have to a) buy the card then b) swipe the card, then c) add money to the card ... not easy when the instructions are in Turkish, and there's a long line of busy travelers behind you!  More fun than being taken in a 'private shuttle', though! 

Edit To Add: I need to mention the brand new 'Galataport' cruise terminal in Istanbul. It's HUGE!  Whereas in most ports, you just stroll off the ship, pass through a few control points, and then exit to the street, at this new Galataport you are routed through a maze of underground passages - LONG passages, with no decorations, no services. It's as if it were built to be the busiest port on earth, and yet, there are no people! You walk a ridiculous distance just to get in/out of the port. After spending an entire day walking around Istanbul, this was definitely the least attractive part of the whole day. 

Did you embark or disembark in Istanbul?  Usually cruise lines don't arrange a shuttle if that's the case.  It's not just a Viking thing; Oceania does the same.  There's just way, way too much to do/worry about on those days.  

But I'm glad you found the tram.  We used it in May, with same challenges..... and survived the Galataport challenges too!  Luckily we found Istanbul to be fabulous...it's not for the faint at heart. 

• Like 1

I suspect Viking does not offer shuttles due to the truly terrible vehicular traffic around the old town and Taksim areas. Trust me -- as someone who's spent at least a couple of weeks in Istanbul over various land and cruise visits, the trams are much, much faster than any bus, shuttle or taxi.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Did you embark or disembark in Istanbul?  Usually cruise lines don't arrange a shuttle if that's the case.  It's not just a Viking thing; Oceania does the same.  There's just way, way too much to do/worry about on those days.  

But I'm glad you found the tram.  We used it in May, with same challenges..... and survived the Galataport challenges too!  Luckily we found Istanbul to be fabulous...it's not for the faint at heart. 

We disembarked in Istanbul, but - we had two nights in Istanbul on the ship, so the first morning was the start of a 'full day', with disembarkation being the next day.  The first day was 'business as usual', with many arranged excursions. We chose to ignore all the excursions and ventured out alone. 

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I suspect Viking does not offer shuttles due to the truly terrible vehicular traffic around the old town and Taksim areas. Trust me -- as someone who's spent at least a couple of weeks in Istanbul over various land and cruise visits, the trams are much, much faster than any bus, shuttle or taxi.

Yeah traffic was insane in Istanbul, and I can imagine there wouldn't be anywhere for a shuttle bus to 'wait', let alone board.  Having said that, Viking did have a number of planned excursions in Istanbul old town, with the usual coach-loads of people being taken around Topkapi, etc - so they must have handled coach parking / waiting somehow. But still - it was fun to ride the trams! 

I also have to comment about the city ... I've seen some people complain that Istanbul is 'dirty'.  We found it to be extremely clean - no litter on the streets, and ... very noticeable to someone visiting from the US ... no homeless people, no people begging, etc. Even around the major tourist areas. We felt very safe wandering around, and had a lovely evening exploring Taksim / Istiklal at night. And - one of the best meals of the entire trip was had at a street-side cafe, nothing but a kiosk with a few chairs and tables outside. 

Edited by Steerpike58

16 minutes ago, Steerpike58 said:

Having said that, Viking did have a number of planned excursions in Istanbul old town, with the usual coach-loads of people being taken around Topkapi, etc - so they must have handled coach parking / waiting somehow.

My first visit to Istanbul was on a cruise and I took a shore excursion through the ship -- worst mistake of my life and put me off shore excursions for the most part. Too much time wasted in sitting on the bus for short distances I could've easily walked in half the time. 

Not to mention getting locked into the store for the obligatory carpet demo. 😱

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, we flew to Istanbul (couple days pre-cruise) and it was apparently the week of Ramadan, with even more people in the city than usual.  It took us over 2 hours to get from the airport to our hotel in Sultanahmet.  This was our second visit to Istanbul and while I loved the convenience of being able to walk to many places nearby, I may need to figure out something else if I ever get back there.  

I didn't see any homeless people, but I sure saw a lot of homeless dogs! And there was not much trash, but I did see a pretty interesting water trash sweeper in Eminonu.

_MG_0038.JPG

52 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Well, we flew to Istanbul (couple days pre-cruise) and it was apparently the week of Ramadan, with even more people in the city than usual.  It took us over 2 hours to get from the airport to our hotel in Sultanahmet.  This was our second visit to Istanbul and while I loved the convenience of being able to walk to many places nearby, I may need to figure out something else if I ever get back there.  

Looks like a new metro line is imminent: Istanbul Airport Subway ... in service soon (istanbulsairport.com)

It says opening 2021, so maybe it's open already.  When I go to London, I always take the 'underground' as it's far quicker than any other option.  Getting to the surface, and navigating the streets, is of course still an issue. 

52 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I didn't see any homeless people, but I sure saw a lot of homeless dogs! And there was not much trash, but I did see a pretty interesting water trash sweeper in Eminonu.

_MG_0038.JPG

We didn't see any homeless dogs in Istanbul (too crowded everywhere!) but we did see a lot in other Turkey destinations (Troy, Ephesus, etc). From what our tour guide said, there's some sort of communal support for dogs in these towns - they are fed and looked after.  Every dog we saw, without exception, was an old 'labrador'/'retriever' type - docile, peaceful, lying around - just like the one in your photo!  And - we saw no dog-poo anywhere, which was my major concern.   By comparison, most destinations in Greece (Corfu, Rhodes, etc) and Croatia (Dubrovnik) were full of cats, and there was quite a bit of cat-poo to avoid. 

I wanted to post a picture myself but I don't see any option; do I need to exceed some post-count before I get the option to post pics? Or am I missing the wood for the trees? 

4 hours ago, Steerpike58 said:

I wanted to post a picture myself but I don't see any option; do I need to exceed some post-count before I get the option to post pics? Or am I missing the wood for the trees? 

From your pictures / docs / wherever - even a picture from most internet sites -  just right-click "copy" , and left-click "paste" it onto your post. Here's one from my album

image.thumb.jpeg.5ad43b5030f0c204d63506a808718c35.jpeg

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

On 11/13/2022 at 7:08 PM, John Bull said:

From your pictures / docs / wherever - even a picture from most internet sites -  just right-click "copy" , and left-click "paste" it onto your post. Here's one from my album

image.thumb.jpeg.5ad43b5030f0c204d63506a808718c35.jpeg

JB 🙂

Thanks! I also discovered I can click the 'other media' button (lower right) and then choose 'insert image from URL', if the image is internet-based.  

But Ctrl-C to clipboard and then Ctrl-V to paste into the message, worked great!  I was assuming they would provide an icon for that, as most other forums I use do it that way. But - now I know!  

To practice, here's a picture of a typical confectioners store window in Istanbul - 

sVBhPaffEJf-oPsfmK1t5hixqjSEkxTMWob7zUXhjy2vQfPpl3wrFFfuEylkgNcfj_k7rGnXt7q0cbmNIVYLG1tx46aYHeR31gkDzPF8kADb7zhCYgTY5Rrto8femzWXcjr1rIA-R64HmIW80R69bgm2FgrTQVavpsPLYr2cBuQ4rERY4GlriVal6gjDRe9j_IG8F6AE2U9NGs8Nn2olLCHLqnXzZ7tYAHmS_VSHMAsy0kJi5wAqXAXqSSwXJuPgpAO5tXqQLd1TtnOK-J7x_cPS_Kr8IDBKA_CwJGPG43OSfAwlgnmKZ5zBGkdz6RLXm6iB4UPdLGKPiOmtky1sNEiGUapq5Z-IhBeRqep2JoRERfoD5VCiLlKy1AlkiEoTr7FISqRvCK5hXYUPYXXS5hW8Her706Yxo_ViQX2CQZ2Qym4hbi1cRXQRLJAewuD_IUugpSPmXOwe2tmmKbuAWw_OhfD7qBOFJAWoyln8iYRSzC37TMLNmxvHkCVcTOYWYqR3zPC3pFBGc0lvlSRJNOCehguKgRdOEdajSaHLth9VW_CMEe80U-O7ibt75THy6QwGl_J-Vbx2a26DRO2XqwgJRLtB2XVDUAM4IIvGccuE_oN2tLhmd76mZZPgfgqPYCRl_kF1_bT-gH6UDXXdrIIDPCMO24c4oDzg0snuThQ7BEkOhT-BZbenc674nxgNKQTEwYO1db-dUxZhfIxx-abaqPl_oqEi3gAusI7tBM7Jay3JVh42GCh_T_R-gutmYyeE8i_p3J5RvJXhx4sLVBnsTi6fohey2DwyTtpFCyHTSSZX-O6z_yXBJ8yKqhsp_Vw12R2UVtje6qBxeZh5cer6v_uR0B5gE57-nHDVrF1cg5o1fxkam9AOWEr675NqZZ6DiDpvFX6vgbjmubzRvqzB-Mz_nqlMHvGvvy7n6-Yi5gCsRg=w2561-h1212-no?authuser=0

And here's the famous HM store: 

image.thumb.png.ae25d33147ae29354fdd29da35636a1b.png

We bought a ton of Turkish Delight at this store, and I just placed an order online to get more delivered - they have their own online store and it's pretty efficient! 

I was in istanbul last week with a private excursion. The tram is the way to go. People had very bad experiences with Ncl excursions. They arrived back about ninety minutes late because of the extreme gridlock around rush hour. Our tour saw the most important sites. The line to Hagia Sophia was at least an hour. Reports were that the Blue Mosque isn't worth it because of renovation. skip the hippodrome. It is now just a park. 

The gridlock back to port was so bad that everyone deserted the van and fast walked back to ship.  I knew the ncl buses were far behind so wasn't worried. 

When we got back, we heard many stories of disappointment, problems, and even a guide and his people  being deserted by the van driver. Taking a taxi back would not have helped. If you have ant mobility problems, you need to do a ship excursion. Because the ship was delayed, we got to our next port mid afternnon. This made for unsafe walking at the sites in the dark.  A few frustrating days.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

I was in istanbul last week with a private excursion. The tram is the way to go. People had very bad experiences with Ncl excursions. They arrived back about ninety minutes late because of the extreme gridlock around rush hour. Our tour saw the most important sites. The line to Hagia Sophia was at least an hour. Reports were that the Blue Mosque isn't worth it because of renovation. skip the hippodrome. It is now just a park. 

The gridlock back to port was so bad that everyone deserted the van and fast walked back to ship.  I knew the ncl buses were far behind so wasn't worried. 

When we got back, we heard many stories of disappointment, problems, and even a guide and his people  being deserted by the van driver. Taking a taxi back would not have helped. If you have ant mobility problems, you need to do a ship excursion. Because the ship was delayed, we got to our next port mid afternnon. This made for unsafe walking at the sites in the dark.  A few frustrating days.

Hagia Sophia really is a bit of a waste at the moment due to renovation; almost nothing to see, and it was very crowded. Blue Mosque ... the line was so long we didn't even try. There were people pitching services to 'get you in quick' but I didn't want to risk that.  Topkapi was busy but tolerable (and really worthwhile), and the Grand Bazaar was appropriately busy (any less and it wouldn't have been as entertaining!). For me, just 'being there' in the streets, seeing all the mosques, the people, the shops, was the biggest attraction; especially on Istiklal near Taksim Sq.  I did note that we were there on a Friday, and Friday is a 'special day' for Muslims, so the mosques were busier than on other days. 

The tram is really fun, but I've never been as crushed as I was when boarding at Sultanahmet (I think that's the stop - near the Grand Bazaar).  We saw families literally climbing onto the outside of the trams in a very precarious manner ... holding on for dear life it seemed! We weren't in a great rush but had no expectation that the next tram would be any less crowded!  We also rode the Funicular up to Taksim Square (the funicular was an ultra-modern affair, unexpectedly). 

The only real frustration was purchasing the 'Istanbulkart' ticket. I watched half-a-dozen YouTube videos beforehand on how to buy them, and still had a hard time with the machines. I couldn't get my machine to switch to English - I saw the 'union jack' symbol and got it to display as the 'current choice' but couldn't get it to 'take', so tried to muddle through as best I could. I put in several 200 lira bills, which were 'taken' but didn't result in any credit! Finally I pressed some button or other and got the credit applied. Since 200 Lira is only about $10, I didn't let it bother me. I then tried again with a second card, and still struggled! But eventually I got 2 cards and we were on our way.  The presence of a long line behind me added to the pressure to get the transaction done ... I know in my home location that having tourists take forever to buy tickets when you are in a hurry to get on a train is a pain, so I was trying to be respectful of that! 

• Thanks 1

On 11/13/2022 at 12:51 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Not to mention getting locked into the store for the obligatory carpet demo. 😱

We had that experience in Kusadasi (for Ephesus). We had a great (Viking arranged) excursion, as it happened, and a decent guide, but at the very end he offered us the 'carpet demo', and - never having experienced anything like it - agreed to go inside.  It WAS interesting - I'd never seen the silk production process, nor the carpet-weaving process, so learned a lot, but at the end, a sales guy simply would not leave me alone and he was so persistent that it ruined the whole day for me, for a while. 

17 hours ago, Steerpike58 said:

Hagia Sophia really is a bit of a waste at the moment due to renovation; almost nothing to see, and it was very crowded. Blue Mosque ... the line was so long we didn't even try. There were people pitching services to 'get you in quick' but I didn't want to risk that.  Topkapi was busy but tolerable (and really worthwhile), and the Grand Bazaar was appropriately busy (any less and it wouldn't have been as entertaining!). For me, just 'being there' in the streets, seeing all the mosques, the people, the shops, was the biggest attraction; especially on Istiklal near Taksi

I think you have the mosques mixed up. The blue mosque is under rennovation. We were advised to skip it. Hagia Sophia has the long lines but is spectacular and worth it.

Edited by Markanddonna

3 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

I think you have the mosques mixed up. The blue mosque is under rennovation. We were advised to skip it. Hagia Sophia has the long lines but is spectacular and worth it.

I gather from your posts that you just recently visited Istanbul. I have friends who are going to Istanbul soon and was trying to find out answers to a couple of questions for them, including:

Do you recall if the Christian-themed mosaics can still be viewed in the following areas:

-- The main ground floor basilica (including the mosaics in the dome, the Virgin and Child in the apse, the seraphim (angels) at the corners of the dome, etc.

-- The mosaics in the narthex (entryway) that include images of the emperors, Constantine, Justinian, etc.

-- The upper floor mosaics (may currently be closed for renovation?) that include more images of Christ and various emperors/empresses and saints.

I would really appreciate any info you can share. The display of human images goes against Muslim practices, so I am not sure how they would hold services in the Haghia Sophia as a mosque and still be able to display the mosaics, hence my concern...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I gather from your posts that you just recently visited Istanbul. I have friends who are going to Istanbul soon and was trying to find out answers to a couple of questions for them, including:

Do you recall if the Christian-themed mosaics can still be viewed in the following areas:

-- The main ground floor basilica (including the mosaics in the dome, the Virgin and Child in the apse, the seraphim (angels) at the corners of the dome, etc.

-- The mosaics in the narthex (entryway) that include images of the emperors, Constantine, Justinian, etc.

-- The upper floor mosaics (may currently be closed for renovation?) that include more images of Christ and various emperors/empresses and saints.

I would really appreciate any info you can share. The display of human images goes against Muslim practices, so I am not sure how they would hold services in the Haghia Sophia as a mosque and still be able to display the mosaics, hence my concern...

I'll have to go over my photos for some of your questions. We were there two days before the terrorist attack. It was so chaotic.  I can't imagine what we would have done if we had to deal with that extra stressor. A woman in our tour group was assaulted on her way back from lunch right outside Hagia Sophia. Teenagers attempting to knock her down and steal her purse. They were not successful, but she was quite traumatized.

1 minute ago, Markanddonna said:

I'll have to go over my photos for some of your questions. We were there two days before the terrorist attack. It was so chaotic.  I can't imagine what we would have done if we had to deal with that extra stressor. A woman in our tour group was assaulted on her way back from lunch right outside Hagia Sophia. Teenagers attempting to knock her down and steal her purse. They were not successful, but she was quite traumatized.

Thank you!

Sorry to hear it was chaotic and that a passenger was assaulted. Up until recently Turkey has had fewer crimes against tourists (e.g., pickpocketings, muggings, etc.) except on occasion when politics were unfortunately involved. 

On 11/21/2022 at 5:30 AM, Markanddonna said:

I believe you are correct!  My apologies. We went into the Blue Mosque, which was a disappointment due to the heavy renovations going on (virtually nothing to see, and very, very crowded), but then the line to Hagia Sophia was ridiculously long. Turns out we were there on a Friday, and (from some guide online) "Avoid visiting Hagia Sophia Mosque at prayer times (five times a day), especially noon praying on Fridays. "  I think we were there just before noon, so the line was long. 

1 hour ago, GreenFamily said:

FYI: There was a terrorist attack in Istanbul recently so be watchful and take precautions: https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/central-istanbul-blast-leaves-multiple-wounded-media-video-2022-11-13/

We saw that on the news also. We had been right there, on that street and outside that very store, just 2 weeks earlier (Istiklal street, Taksim area). It was a wonderful street.  I lived in London during the IRA bombings and learned not to let such things bother me; you still have a better chance of being struck by lightning than being injured in such an event, but it is obviously disconcerting. I would go back in a heartbeat, though.  

I did notice though - security (even before this event) was very high, and at the airport, the highest I've ever seen anywhere. We were scanned on entry to the airport (with all our luggage); then after checking our luggage, we had the typical 'TSA'-style scanning to get to the boarding area, and then a complete hand-search of our carry-on luggage at the gate before boarding that was really, really thorough - not some cursory glance or shuffle. 

• Like 1

On 11/21/2022 at 1:39 PM, Markanddonna said:

Hi, sorry to nudge you but my friends are leaving in 5 days and asked if I'd been able to find out anything about the situation in Haghia Sophia. If there are long lines, they don't necessarily want to wait in them if the experience isn't worth it. 

I feel rather bad as I have told them for years how spectacular it is.... 😢. Both the architecture and the decoration (the marble, the mosaics).   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Hi, sorry to nudge you but my friends are leaving in 5 days and asked if I'd been able to find out anything about the situation in Haghia Sophia. If there are long lines, they don't necessarily want to wait in them if the experience isn't worth it. 

Here is a current photo of the inside. My husband thought that there were some fabrics covering some Mary and perhaps Jesus. You can see that straight ahead. Coming into the building, there was Christian artwork, but not inside (to the best of our knowledge.)  Is it worth a visit. Here is my thought. Others told us that the line was anywhere between a 1-2 hour wait for the Hagia Sophia. Our guide, whose instincts turned out to be correct, encouraged us to wait a while longer.  He said, "It closes for prayer and there is no movement.  Then, all of a sudden, they open it and the line moves."  He was correct.  We waited between 30-40 mins to get in. I was a bit cranky at that point because I wasn't overwhelmed with the Palace that morning, but the Hagia Sophia WAS worth the wait. Supposedly, the crowds in Istanbul on the day we were there were unusual, but I don't know if that is true. I do know that I would not take a tour to Istanbul. I would figure out how to use the tram.  That is what the crew did!  The ship excursions arrived 90 minutes late. I was talking to some ship excursion people in the afternoon and knew they were going to be in back of us in traffic, so I wasn't too worried (although the buses could have taken a different route to the ship- I didn't know at the time. They were stuck in the same traffic as we were.  BTW, if your friends are looking for a fast place to eat, have them check out the Pudding Shop Restaurant. Reasonable food, inexpensive, and fast.  Close to Hagia Sophia. Puddingshop.com (they gave us a postcard.)

image.thumb.jpeg.a63066c708e608852f031d0ea07a188b.jpeg

2 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

image.thumb.jpeg.a63066c708e608852f031d0ea07a188b.jpeg

Thank you!  I can at least see that the angels at the corners aren't covered. I seem to recall that the Virgin and Child mosaic was to the side, not straight on....

My friends are not going on a cruise but still will have only limited time in Istanbul before heading further down the SW coast and then Cappadocia. Perhaps this late in the season they will not have as many lines to wait in. 

I know of the Pudding Shop but haven't eaten there.  I've already given them two recommendations: one is the very cheap but historic place that's been beloved by generations of Turks and tourists alike; I think they only serve a couple of things -- kofte for sure and also kebabs. Their white bean salad side is delish (called piyaszh).

image.thumb.png.27db57eaf5445b378b0bf47a4974cd4a.png

The other one is a good place for a nice dinner, near the Blue Mosque and with outdoor dining available on a pleasant evening. 

image.png.d6a21755338ca2ee6addca50081a4281.png