Tamron 18 - 400mm VC

jbcallender

I have one and I love it.  It is the only lens I took on my river cruise this year and I took over a thousand pictures.  The only problem is that sometimes you have to use manual focus when it is really dark, but that might be the camera (60D). 

1 hour ago, mskaufman said:

I have one and I love it.  It is the only lens I took on my river cruise this year and I took over a thousand pictures.  The only problem is that sometimes you have to use manual focus when it is really dark, but that might be the camera (60D). 

Thank you for the recommendation!

I use it regularly with my T6i and it basically lives on my camera.  Other than reducing the number of lenses you have to bring, it's great to be able to go from a relatively wide angle and zoom right in on something without having to swap lenses.  These pics were both taken with that lens to give you an idea of how much flexibility you get with it. 

49102367566_98e2270673_o.jpg

49102555447_ffb2c5d4fc_o.jpg

Edited by archstroke

1 hour ago, archstroke said:

I use it regularly with my T6i and it basically lives on my camera.  Other than reducing the number of lenses you have to bring, it's great to be able to go from a relatively wide angle and zoom right in on something without having to swap lenses.  These pics were both taken with that lens to give you an idea of how much flexibility you get with it. 

49102367566_98e2270673_o.jpg

49102555447_ffb2c5d4fc_o.jpg

That's pretty impressive!  I'm gonna get one!

6 hours ago, jbcallender said:

I'm always changing from the kit lens to a 200mm and seem to miss the shot I wanted or I take it anyway figuring I can fix it in Lightroom.  This looks like it will cover a lot of bases.!

Exactly why I like that lens.  

• 2 weeks later...

Bench test review from LensTips:

https://www.lenstip.com/514.4-Lens_review-Tamron_18-400_mm_f_3.5-6.3_Di_II_VC_HLD_Image_resolution.html

In summary, remarkably good center resolution at frame center at f/5.6 throughout the zoom range. Must stop down to f/8 to get usable resolution at the frame edges.

Also, even with image stabilization it takes really good technique to handhold at 400mm.

Rob

Glad you are liking the lens! I'm coming up on retirement and want to get my 'final' camera gear, so I've been doing a lot of equipment research. The Canon R6 really has my eye! The AF system is second to none and great for birds in flight. Now that the mk II is out maybe the price on the original will crash!

It's really tough to hand hold at 400mm and is compounded if using a crop sensor camera. I also have a monopod. I've experimented using it with a Wemberly-type mount. It works great but is a bit heavy and cumbersome.

Have fun with your new toy and keep us posted on your results!

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

I’m curious as to how that lens performs for higher speed shots like wildlife or sports?

I’ll be going on an October cruise to Alaska so I’ll be hoping to catch wildlife in possibly less than ideal light.  I could bring my L series lenses but it would be a lot to bring long haul. I am used to using a monopod and have a few different ones for different environments and weight of kit. 

6 hours ago, eileeshb said:

I’m curious as to how that lens performs for higher speed shots like wildlife or sports?

I don't have any sports or wildlife shots, but would fighter jets be fast enough for you?

51461232451_45a0117846_o.jpg

• ƒ/6.3
  • 400.0 mm
  • 1/2500
  • ISO 250
Edited by archstroke
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, archstroke said:

I don't have any sports or wildlife shots, but would fighter jets be fast enough for you?

51461232451_45a0117846_o.jpg

• ƒ/6.3
  • 400.0 mm
  • 1/2500
  • ISO 250

Very nice… my local camera shop has that lens listed at €800… it might be time for a visit.