Walk from Lighthouse Beach to Sunset Beach? Best snorkeling with own equipment?

tbmrt

I've read that the best snorkeling is on Sunset Beach.  Others say it is pretty good on the left or right side of rocks by Lighthouse.  I looked at a map of Ocean Cay and wonder if it is possible to walk between these beaches.  Doesn't look like it on this map.

667183789_oceancaymapbest.thumb.jpg.6eb2d8066844f8c373b4bc03994f8341.jpg

When I was there sunset beach was closed so I don't know how good the snorkelling was there. 

I did snorkel at Lighthouse Beach.  It was ok.  A couple fish to see, nothing exciting. 

I don't know exactly what you mean by can you walk between these beaches.  Do you mean walk along the water?  Or is it too far to walk? You can't walk along the water but there are walking paths that you can follow to get there.  The entire island is walkable. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

When I was there sunset beach was closed so I don't know how good the snorkelling was there. 

I did snorkel at Lighthouse Beach.  It was ok.  A couple fish to see, nothing exciting. 

I don't know exactly what you mean by can you walk between these beaches.  Do you mean walk along the water?  Or is it too far to walk? You can't walk along the water but there are walking paths that you can follow to get there.  The entire island is walkable. 

Thanks.  I didn't see the walking path between them on the map.  We will do that.  Hope it is open.

Just now, tbmrt said:

Thanks.  I didn't see the walking path between them on the map.  We will do that.  Hope it is open.

I sailed when numbers were still really low.  Testing to get into the country and on the boat were still in effect.  

I got conflicting information on whether you could swim at the closed beaches or not.  I was alone so decided not to swim alone.  Might be different if you are with others.  

I also checked out Bimini Beach.  There were flags saying no swimming but a lifeguard on the lagoon beach told me I would swim there and that there were seadoos in the water that would be patrolling.  I did see the sea doos.  But the water was quite rough and I was alone as I mentioned so I opted not to. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last week all of the beaches other than Seakers Family Cove were open. Some of the areas did have pretty rough water so I did my snorkeling at Lighthouse Beach. Granted, it was not the Great Barrier Reef but there were quite a few fish to see. Head out to the barrier fencing to see schools and larger fish. That is where I encountered a large sting ray and a medium sized barracuda. Other areas to spend time are the rocky areas close to the ship and close to the light house.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, niknot said:

Last week all of the beaches other than Seakers Family Cove were open. Some of the areas did have pretty rough water so I did my snorkeling at Lighthouse Beach. Granted, it was not the Great Barrier Reef but there were quite a few fish to see. Head out to the barrier fencing to see schools and larger fish. That is where I encountered a large sting ray and a medium sized barracuda. Other areas to spend time are the rocky areas close to the ship and close to the light house.

Tx for your post.  How far out is it to the net?  Depth?  We have someone who is not a great swimmer in our group.  (Can swim..she's just apprehensive of going far out and over her head)

6 hours ago, niknot said:

3 hours ago, tbmrt said:

Tx for your post.  How far out is it to the net?  Depth?  We have someone who is not a great swimmer in our group.  (Can swim..she's just apprehensive of going far out and over her head)

Watch Parodeejay on Youtube, she posted a lot of video of snorkeling out to the net and near the rocks on their Seaside video series. 

I am the worst estimating distance. Parodeejay videos are really good at showing distance.

You may wish to suggest that she bring along an inflatable snorkeling vest. They are lightweight, inexpensive, easy to pack and definitely provide a sense of security. If the distance is too far for her, the areas around the rocks at both ends of the beach have shallow areas and do have fish to see as well.