Is NCL only cruise line that has Solo structured programs?

VIKINGCRUISER

On 4/4/2023 at 11:11 PM, shorne said:

What is meant by a crew-member-hosted solo meet-up? Someone from the crew tries to encourage sociability? Maybe we make such poor raw material that that is doomed to failure…

Basically, one of the cruise staff hosts a get-together each day for your entire cruise.   They will organize activities such as going to one of the Main Dining Rooms, seeing one of the shows together, or getting conversations/ introductions started during the get-togethers.  Some of the activities were making custom buttons during the get-together. I went a few times, though as the cruise went on, it was less and less attended.  However, if you are not in a solo cabin, this provides a great time to get access to the studio lounge.  Also, during this time, a waiter came by and took drink orders (there was no bartender or bar on the NCL Bliss in the lounge that I could see).  What surprised me was that the waiter remembered what I drank only after one time.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a solo who wants to cruise. Have had more cruises cancelled than I've actually been on. But soon I will be setting off on a cruise with a line that caters to solos more than just about any other: Saga. It's a British line for over-50s. All cruises start and end in the UK. 

Saga has been around for a long time, but their current fleet is just two elegant, new-build ships. They are similar to Viking ships -- under 1k passengers and all-balcony cabins -- but 20% of the cabins are designed for solos. Pricey, but pretty much all-inclusive -- and they are obviously prepared to welcome solos.

The idea of cruising on a giant ship surrounded by thousands does not appeal to me. I am no longer willing to grab some alone time in a windowless inside cabin. Haven't even been on my first Saga cruise, but I've already booked for 2024.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 1:21 PM, GerryL13 said:

I'm a solo who wants to cruise. Have had more cruises cancelled than I've actually been on. But soon I will be setting off on a cruise with a line that caters to solos more than just about any other: Saga. It's a British line for over-50s. All cruises start and end in the UK.

That would appeal to me. The problem is the last bit, about starting and ending in the UK: most of the cruises are in Europe, where I would generally not travel by ship.