Is NCL only cruise line that has Solo structured programs?

VIKINGCRUISER

Hi Everyone,

Long story short, I'm a married introverted man in my 50's and looking to do a cruise. My wife and son son (25) just don't like cruises although we did several together, they're done with them.

Is NCL the only cruise line that offers a "solo" programs for guests that stay in that single area or do other cruises have some programs?

looking to do a 3-4 or 5 days Caribbean.

I've searched under "solo", but most people I am reading about under solo seem to have someone their going with.

Just having a hard time working through my introversion.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

19 hours ago, VIKINGCRUISER said:

Hi Everyone,

Long story short, I'm a married introverted man in my 50's and looking to do a cruise. My wife and son son (25) just don't like cruises although we did several together, they're done with them.

Is NCL the only cruise line that offers a "solo" programs for guests that stay in that single area or do other cruises have some programs?

I've searched under "solo", but most people I am reading about under solo seem to have someone their going with.

Just having a hard time working through my introversion.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Hello!  As someone who's done nearly two dozen cruises (all solo) over the past 8 years, I guess I can give you some advice.

First of all, yes, NCL seems to be the only one that provides dedicated services (and a lounge) for solo/single travelers.  But that doesn't mean that the other cruise lines aren't suitable for solos.  None of my cruises have been on NCL (yet), and somehow, I survived - maybe even thrived. 🙂

Most cruise lines have singles meet ups for solo travelers. What I've heard about them is that they're poorly defined, poorly attended, and mostly a waste of time, but maybe yours will be different.  YMMV.

Beyond these meet ups (which will rarely be attended by any cruise staff), other cruise lines may have some rooms dedicated to solo travelers.  They tend to fill fast.

You mention your introversion. I'm very much an introvert.  I know it affects people in different ways.  If you'd rather avoid people, that's OK.  You can do that easily enough on a cruise ship whenever you want.  If you'd really like to meet people, but find it difficult, that's a bit more of a problem.  But only a bit.  Cruisers and the crew are mostly friendly and willing to talk your ear off about any little thing.  It's just a matter of starting.

The only other piece of advice I have at this time is that the greatest thing about solo travel is YOU CAN DO WHATEVER YOU WANT, WHENEVER YOU WANT, WITH NO COMPROMISES OR APOLOGIES NECESSARY.  Whatever you enjoy about cruising, you can do until you're sick of it - or it's time to disembark.

I wish you much enjoyment on your future solo cruises.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, VIKINGCRUISER said:

I have been on NCL and Carnival. I have not been in any solo cabins on Carnival but I have booked a solo cabin on NCL. The lounge was only okay. It is largely empty for most of the day. They have a crew member hosted solo meetup right before dinner to get a count of people that would dine together. You don't have to go if you don't want to. They have snacks in there and the bar is manned for about 2 hours during the evening. In my view it was hardly worth it for just that. I probably wouldn't do it again.

Most ships have a solo meetup that may or may not be hosted by a crew member. I have actually never been to one as I never really felt the need to. From what I have heard from other people that have gone said that the meetup was sparsely attended, nothing really happened and was a waste of time.

If you want to have company for dinner, just ask the host to seat you at a shared table or tell them that you are willing to share. I generally get seated a table for 2 next to the window so I can watch the ocean go by. That suits me just fine.

If you are looking for company on a tour around port, join your roll call and see if there is anyone else interested.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Hello!  As someone who's done nearly two dozen cruises (all solo) over the past 8 years, I guess I can give you some advice.

First of all, yes, NCL seems to be the only one that provides dedicated services (and a lounge) for solo/single travelers.  But that doesn't mean that the other cruise lines aren't suitable for solos.  None of my cruises have been on NCL (yet), and somehow, I survived - maybe even thrived. 🙂

Most cruise lines have singles meet ups for solo travelers. What I've heard about them is that they're poorly defined, poorly attended, and mostly a waste of time, but maybe yours will be different.  YMMV.

Beyond these meet ups (which will rarely be attended by any cruise staff), other cruise lines may have some rooms dedicated to solo travelers.  They tend to fill fast.

You mention your introversion. I'm very much an introvert.  I know it affects people in different ways.  If you'd rather avoid people, that's OK.  You can do that easily enough on a cruise ship whenever you want.  If you'd really like to meet people, but find it difficult, that's a bit more of a problem.  But only a bit.  Cruisers and the crew are mostly friendly and willing to talk your ear off about any little thing.  It's just a matter of starting.

The only other piece of advice I have at this time is that the greatest thing about solo travel is YOU CAN DO WHATEVER YOU WANT, WHENEVER YOU WANT, WITH NO COMPROMISES OR APOLOGIES NECESSARY.  Whatever you enjoy about cruising, you can do until you're sick of it - or it's time to disembark.

I wish you much enjoyment on your future solo cruises.

Thank you! It's nice to hear it coming for someone else who is introverted. I like my :alone" time, but do like mingling (just some) with others. 

This is part of the problem with watching videos and then reading the comments, you really never know if the person leaving the comment is an intro or extro.

Anyway, I think I will book an excurion to have some fun. Still not sure about dinner, I like people, but I'm not a big talker.

Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, I have been sailing solo for 20 years but never on NCL. Structured schedules on a cruise don't appeal to me and I find it quite easy to meet others. Cruisers are usually friendly folks😀

Oh, you mentioned those who chat on the solo forum seem to be sailing with someone? I dont agree. I think most folks who post on here are going solo, hence the topic of the board. And they have questions about it. Hope we are able to help with answers.

And I agree with Honolulu, the big factor is doing what I want whenever I want. If you find an activity that appeals to you, go for it. If you want to just take a nap and do nothing? Do it. 

Enjoy yourself😀

One more thing, the structured program? I do like having those meals. LOL

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VIKINGCRUISER said:

booking excursions is also a nice way to be involved.

True.  You can book just to see the sights (or lie on the beach, as appropriate).  But since you're all squished on the bus together, why not take the time to get to know your fellow guests, the tour guide, the driver, or even other locals?  That is, if you want to.

1 hour ago, VIKINGCRUISER said:

Thank you! It's nice to hear it coming for someone else who is introverted. I like my :alone" time, but do like mingling (just some) with others. 

This is part of the problem with watching videos and then reading the comments, you really never know if the person leaving the comment is an intro or extro.

Anyway, I think I will book an excurion to have some fun. Still not sure about dinner, I like people, but I'm not a big talker.

Thank you!

I'm like you - I treasure my alone time,  but sometimes I like to go places where there are people around, and sometimes I even go out of my way to meet them.  Cruises are good for all of these.

As for dinner, unlike some solo travelers, I've never had much problem with it.  I've never minded dining by myself, and in fact prefer it when I can set it up.  If you're doing the fixed seating thing, most cruise lines I've heard about like to seat solos together.  NCL does this with their solo cabin group.  One thing you might see is a long table with seats 1-2 feet apart, where you can interact with the couple (and it's very often a couple, I've found) on either side of you or ignore them, and they can do the same with you.

I've never talked much at mealtime whether on a cruise or not.  I find that most of the time everyone else at my table is more than happy to talk to each other and accept my occasional nods and "mmm hmms" as an acceptable contribution.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've been cruising solo for the last few years. Prior to this I cruised with ex-gf's and my ex-wife. I'm 62 and have been cruising for over 30 years.

Cruising solo allows you to do anything you want.

Want alone time? Find a quiet spot, crank up the Kindle and read with a beverage of your choice.

Feel like a show? Just go.

Fancy a chat but don't know where to start? Go the solo meet-ups (they're not just for singles), or find a busy venue, spot a couple of people with a spare chair, and just ask if they minded sharing the table, or sit at a bar - people and bar tenders will talk to you.

Spot me on a cruise? Say hello, I'll talk to anyone - even you 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 5

Yes, NCL is now not the only one who caters to solos.  I have been on MSC and they are starting to really gear and welcome solo passengers.  The pricing for a solo is absolutely incredible.  But now they offer solo meet get togethers practically every day.  They also seat solos together if that is what you wish.  I am an introvert and like my alone time but I love to mingle a bit and those solo meet on the ship are perfect for just that.   

For any single as in not married people they also have a single meet get togethers.  Also almost daily.  

• Like 1

I’m a solo cruiser, I’ve had some great experiences at solo meet and greets. On NCL I didn’t stay in the solo cabins, but still met with solos and enjoyed company of others. I have met solos on Carnival as well.But it is no guarantee, every cruise is different and so people are not perdictable.

• Like 2

Fellow introvert.  Solo traveler . Upcoming Alaska cruise in May 2023.  Traveling with sister and niece (b.i.l. says he doesn't like boats 🚤 or crowds. 🤷‍♂️) Wondering if there will be meet & greet or if I'll be wandering around saying "hello" and hoping I won't get slapped.  

• 2 weeks later...

Fellow introvert here.  Taking my first solo cruise in 70 days, can’t wait! Hubby decided that he hates traveling, so he takes his vacation while I’m away and stays home with the cats. I keep eyeing going to the Mediterranean in October/November. I’ll pull the trigger on that once I know for sure I like traveling solo.  

On 12/3/2022 at 10:00 PM, Debala715 said:

Fellow introvert here.  Taking my first solo cruise in 70 days, can’t wait! Hubby decided that he hates traveling, so he takes his vacation while I’m away and stays home with the cats. I keep eyeing going to the Mediterranean in October/November. I’ll pull the trigger on that once I know for sure I like traveling solo.  

Good for you!!!  Enjoy!!!

Hi Everyone, I have done a ton of cruises on Princess for leisure and work, and the last one I was quite bored with the ships.
This will be my first solo cruise. Have had a very hard few years and have had a real vacation since 2017. Hoping for a change. Maybe something nicer?? Can't afford Oceanis or Viking solo sadly. Considering Celebrity? 
The Solstice is old but does a nice Mexican Riviera itinerary in the winter. 
Any suggestions would be great!! And is there a section on this site that would post good deals for solo's when they come up? 
just curious. Thank you all so much in advance. 

4 hours ago, Olwyn said:

Hi Everyone, I have done a ton of cruises on Princess for leisure and work, and the last one I was quite bored with the ships.
This will be my first solo cruise. Have had a very hard few years and have had a real vacation since 2017. Hoping for a change. Maybe something nicer?? Can't afford Oceanis or Viking solo sadly. Considering Celebrity? 
The Solstice is old but does a nice Mexican Riviera itinerary in the winter. 
Any suggestions would be great!! And is there a section on this site that would post good deals for solo's when they come up? 
just curious. Thank you all so much in advance. 

Celebrity is a good cruise line with good ships.  It should be a good fit for you.  

As for good solo deals, there's a thread for that:

• 5 weeks later...

In my experience yes, however not all NCL solo cruiser meets are hosted (I prefer the hosted ones). Without the host for me it can be difficult finding out exactly where the group of people traveling solo are since it's often somewhere vague like just a bar area opposed to an assigned room near the bar. I've had to ask a bartender where the group is and they would bring me over. 

While there are a ton of things I don't like about NCL, they hands down have been the best for me in terms of meeting people and in entertainment. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UnbridledEnthusiasm said:

In my experience yes, however not all NCL solo cruiser meets are hosted (I prefer the hosted ones). Without the host for me it can be difficult finding out exactly where the group of people traveling solo are since it's often somewhere vague like just a bar area opposed to an assigned room near the bar. I've had to ask a bartender where the group is and they would bring me over. 

While there are a ton of things I don't like about NCL, they hands down have been the best for me in terms of meeting people and in entertainment. 

I know they suspended the meets in the initial resumption after covid, but I’m curious as to which ships didn’t have hosts for the solo meet-ups? 
all my cruises have been on the bigger ships with plentiful studios and apart from the one I did a few months after the return from covid they all had solo hosts.

there’s definitely been variance in the style of the hosts, one we had was training up a newbie and she clicked so well with the solos she stayed in contact with us through the week while the trainee was getting to grips with things. It has seemed to me that the solo hosting is a training run for staff with ambitions of being cruise directors in the future. 
I’ve also seen reviews online where the solo cruisers themselves were so “experienced “ and opinionated about how things should be done that they basically drove the host away along with a lot of the new solos.  So much so I’m hoping and praying that those people never wind up on a cruise with me. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eileeshb said:

I know they suspended the meets in the initial resumption after covid, but I’m curious as to which ships didn’t have hosts for the solo meet-ups? 
all my cruises have been on the bigger ships with plentiful studios and apart from the one I did a few months after the return from covid they all had solo hosts.

there’s definitely been variance in the style of the hosts, one we had was training up a newbie and she clicked so well with the solos she stayed in contact with us through the week while the trainee was getting to grips with things. It has seemed to me that the solo hosting is a training run for staff with ambitions of being cruise directors in the future. 
I’ve also seen reviews online where the solo cruisers themselves were so “experienced “ and opinionated about how things should be done that they basically drove the host away along with a lot of the new solos.  So much so I’m hoping and praying that those people never wind up on a cruise with me. 

The Sun didn't have a host and neither did the Jewel one time. I may be going on Joy next month and from the dailies they say unhosted. There are a couple of no it alls who are usually elderly but the majority I met weren't like that. 

On 1/10/2023 at 10:06 PM, UnbridledEnthusiasm said:

The Sun didn't have a host and neither did the Jewel one time. I may be going on Joy next month and from the dailies they say unhosted. There are a couple of no it alls who are usually elderly but the majority I met weren't like that. 

I'm sailing on the Jewel in March. This will be my first time sailing on an NCL ship that doesn't have dedicated solo amenities and I am a bit apprehensive with how well the solo gatherings will go if they are unhosted. I will say all of my previous experiences have been great with the hosted ones. I don't mind eating dinner by myself but I usually prefer eating with a group. It's the 1 time that my introverted self can be extremely social (besides when bellied up at the bar) lol

I have done the Jewel, Jade and EPIC.  

The Solo meetup on NCL is fine.  You have to keep in mind NCL programs are by design very unstructured.  You can attend the meet up if you want to or not.  The host will organise dinner reservations if people want to go to a specific restaurant as a group.   Some people will want to do dinner others will chat about port calls and maybe organise something on their own.  There is no fixed agenda/program that is in anyway pushed the ship.

The Studio on the larger ships have that shared lounge that is only available to those in studios.  Not all singles are in studio and depending on pricing sometimes it may be cheaper to get a different type of cabin as a single. 

The studio has a cappuccino machine and I always liked the continental breakfast.  You can start your day sitting down in a quite place with a coffee and pastry without the rush of the buffet.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/19/2023 at 4:54 AM, em-sk said:

The Studio on the larger ships have that shared lounge that is only available to those in studios.  Not all singles are in studio and depending on pricing sometimes it may be cheaper to get a different type of cabin as a single. 

While only those staying in “Studio” cabins have 24 hour key card access to the Studio lounge, every evening during the solo traveler meet and greet, (time listed in Freestyle Daily), they block the door open and welcome all solo travelers to that lounge…

• Like 1

On 3/5/2023 at 6:02 PM, bob brown said:

While only those staying in “Studio” cabins have 24 hour key card access to the Studio lounge, every evening during the solo traveler meet and greet, (time listed in Freestyle Daily), they block the door open and welcome all solo travelers to that lounge…

Not entirely correct. The policy of opening the lounge during the meet-up varies depending on the managers on the various ships. When I was on Escape it was opened but on Breakaway all the meet-ups were in Sugarcane as someone higher up the food chain that the solos host dictated they weren’t allowed to open it to non-studio guests. From seeing the various dailies it seems the policy does change at different points in time so I’m not sure who/how that changes but do not assume that the meet-up will always be in the lounge or that the lounge will be left open during that timeslot. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/22/2022 at 5:33 AM, FenixRising said:

I have been on NCL and Carnival. I have not been in any solo cabins on Carnival but I have booked a solo cabin on NCL. The lounge was only okay. It is largely empty for most of the day. They have a crew member hosted solo meetup right before dinner to get a count of people that would dine together. You don't have to go if you don't want to. They have snacks in there and the bar is manned for about 2 hours during the evening. In my view it was hardly worth it for just that. I probably wouldn't do it again.

Most ships have a solo meetup that may or may not be hosted by a crew member. I have actually never been to one as I never really felt the need to. From what I have heard from other people that have gone said that the meetup was sparsely attended, nothing really happened and was a waste of time.

As another introverted person who travels alone, I found this message interesting. I had imagined that the lounge in the solo section would be noisy, with lots of television and such that would drive me away. Funny that it's just the opposite.

What is meant by a crew-member-hosted solo meet-up? Someone from the crew tries to encourage sociability? Maybe we make such poor raw material that that is doomed to failure…

On 11/19/2022 at 8:11 PM, cruiseelady said:

For any single as in not married people

The ambiguity is a problem: some of us have in mind people who are single on the cruise, other people who are single in marital status. (I happen to be both, and I don't plan to change that.)