How long do we have to upgrade to Princess Plus?

jlacy1987

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I tried searching and didn't see the answer to my question. We've never cruised Princess before, so I'm unsure about some of their inner workings.

When does Princess cut off the option to upgrade your booking to Princess Plus? We've only made the deposit for our September 2023 Alaska cruise, but I've decided that I think the cost to upgrade to Princess Plus is worth the cost. Alcohol package for both of us and the fact that it includes the crew appreciation. But since our cruise isn't for awhile, I wasn't sure if that was something I needed to get locked down now or if it could wait a bit, and if so how long?

Another question, since the upgrade would be for me and my husband, does that mean we'd still need to prepay crew appreciation for our two kids who will be cruising with us? 

I don’t know if things are different in the UK - they usually are !! - but we can ring up & add Princess Plus up to 72 hours before sailing. I usually do it the week before to make sure I can get through. At least then if anything happens & you have to amend/cancel the cruise you’ve not committed as much financially.

1 hour ago, Rubynic said:

I don’t know if things are different in the UK - they usually are !! - but we can ring up & add Princess Plus up to 72 hours before sailing. I usually do it the week before to make sure I can get through. At least then if anything happens & you have to amend/cancel the cruise you’ve not committed as much financially.

Do you know if the upgrade price varies depending on when you upgrade? Just trying to do a little preplanning because it's saying it will cost us $700 to upgrade to Princess Plus which that in and of itself is cheaper than paying for the alcohol package for the two of us outright and then the crew appreciation savings too, so it's a big savings for us to upgrade. Just don't want to miss out on the price if it'll vary. 

19 hours ago, jlacy1987 said:

Do you know if the upgrade price varies depending on when you upgrade? Just trying to do a little preplanning because it's saying it will cost us $700 to upgrade to Princess Plus which that in and of itself is cheaper than paying for the alcohol package for the two of us outright and then the crew appreciation savings too, so it's a big savings for us to upgrade. Just don't want to miss out on the price if it'll vary. 

In the UK the upgrade price is typically dictated by the prices in force at the time the original booking was made.  Where prices fall if this happens substantially the price one originally paid might look excessive near sail date.  Princess Plus is a fare tariff or fare basis not an add on.  In this respect if you find yourself paying a high extra amount it may be cheaper to look at adding individual elements relevant to individual requirements which could work out less expensive. I believe these are fixed rate.

Regards John

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, jlacy1987 said:

Unless you have some sort of promotional fare, the upgrade cost is $50 pppd.(iirc)  Makes no difference when you booķ it. BUT, it is possible that Princess might decide to increase the cost of the package at some time in the future.

In your position,  as you have decided to go for the PP deal (sensible move imho) I would book it now,  and lock the price in.

Edited by wowzz

43 minutes ago, john watson said:

In the UK the upgrade price is typically dictated by the prices in force at the time the original booking was made.  Where prices fall if this happens substantially the price one originally paid might look excessive near sail date.  Princess Plus is a fare tariff or fare basis not an add on.  In this respect if you find yourself paying a high extra amount it may be cheaper to look at adding individual elements relevant to individual requirements which could work out less expensive. I believe these are fixed rate.

Regards John

John,  I think you'll find that even if the base rate for a cruise falls, the differential between the base fare and the PP fare will remain the same, which, in the UK is £40 pppd. That has been our experience every time we have refared.

From reading these boards,  the same principle seems to apply in the US as well. 

1 hour ago, rwilk1129 said:

We are considering adding Plus to our Dec. sailing but I had already added and paid for WIFI. Can it be cancelled and refunded since it is included in the Princess Plus pkg? Can't see a cancel option on the medallion.

See if you can do it on the website...