How does the drinks package work in practice?

techteach

Please excuse my posting here, but we just got a call from the concierge regarding what they can do for us…isn’t that nice? We have the drinks package with the $12.00 limit, if I order a glass of wine that costs $14.00 do I pay $14. or do I pay $2.00? Thanks.

1 hour ago, techteach said:

Please excuse my posting here, but we just got a call from the concierge regarding what they can do for us…isn’t that nice? We have the drinks package with the $12.00 limit, if I order a glass of wine that costs $14.00 do I pay $14. or do I pay $2.00? Thanks.

I am assuming the drinks package you have is the one that is included as part of the "Grills Suite Offer" for North America bookings in grill suites. If that is the case, my understanding is that $14.00 glass of wine would cost $14.00 plus 15% gratuity = $16.10. That is based on this quote from the terms and conditions for the Grills Suite Offer.

"Drinks priced above the threshold shown above must be purchased at full price. Paying the difference between the threshold and the higher price is not permitted. The standard 15% service charge applied against all bar orders will be included under this promotion for all drinks ordered under the price threshold. Tipping beyond the 15% is at the discretion of the guests. For drinks purchased over the price threshold, the 15% service charge will apply as standard."

Having said that, I've never booked a grill suite so I'm not speaking from actual experience. I'm only going by what the stated terms and conditions say. And again, I'm assuming we are taking about the drinks package included in the Grills Suite Offer, not the "World of Drinks: Beer, Wine and Spirits" package you purchase separately at $69 per person per day. That package has different terms and conditions where you get a 20% discount on drinks above the $12 limit.

• Like 1

I took the beers, wines and spirits package for my upcoming trip and while I understand what it includes and excludes I'm wondering how it works in practice. Basically, am I going to have to always refer to a menu to make sure what I'm ordering is within the $12 maximum? What about off-menu cocktails and things like water bottles? Maybe I'm over thinking it, but I want to make sure I get the most out of the package without inadvertently ordering something at an extra cost. 

Well yes, you've  almost answered your own question , occasionally you will need to glance at the drinks menu  ( in the various public venues) to see what is within the $12 maximum.

The bar waiter staff & restaurant sommeliers are very helpful and will advise you if  a drink of your choice is over the limit.  

• Like 1

Just to add to my post above; it's now too late to mention that it would have been better to purchase the drinks package whilst onboard the first afternoon  and have it set up to start for the second day . I understand most people prefer to pay as you go for the 'first evening' as it  depends on what time of the day one eventually embarks onboard the ship.  

Personally I've never purchased a drinks package , however, I aways purchase a 'Wine package' for the restaurant . I've often noticed the hassle some guests have ( with their drinks package)  in the restaurant trying to catch the attention of the Sommelier when they need another glass of wine. I much prefer my wine handy for the Sommelier in the ice bucket almost adjacent to the table , rather than the Sommelier having to go running off to the galley bar dispensary .   

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

Well yes, you've  almost answered your own question , occasionally you will need to glance at the drinks menu  ( in the various public venues) to see what is within the $12 maximum.

The bar waiter staff & restaurant sommeliers are very helpful and will advise you if  a drink of your choice is over the limit.  

I’ve found that if you order off menu cocktails they tend to be better value than those on the list - you are frequently just charged for one shot of the primary spirit in the cocktail.

What about mixers ? Say for a Bombay sapphire gin with a fevertree tonic ? Exc any service charge - The gin looks to be $10.60 and 1.90 for the tonic - together over $12 but are billed individually?

Doubt I’d drink enough for the full package though but interested to know. 

Thank you.

1 hour ago, watsonbeau said:

What about mixers ? Say for a Bombay sapphire gin with a fevertree tonic ? Exc any service charge - The gin looks to be $10.60 and 1.90 for the tonic - together over $12 but are billed individually?

Doubt I’d drink enough for the full package though but interested to know. 

Thank you.

Bombay & Fevertree are considered as premium, one needs to be ordering Gordons & Schweppes, unless the Bar tender is prepared to charge on two separate receipts .

One of the reasons I've never bothered with a 'Drinks Package', I very rarely drink alcohol in the day unless it's lunch ashore.

I do enjoy a very good premium Martini, pre dinner and one is enough before I hit the wine package in the restaurant .   

Sometimes the bar staff will be able to help you by making your drink order 2 drinks.  For example, when I was last in the grills my Hendriks martini was always $14.00.  Depending upon which bar I was at some staff would charge my drink as 1 or in the commodore club they put my drink order as 2 drinks at $12.00 and have me sign for 2 drinks.

I never had a problem getting my martini's.  

Edited by gentlemancruiser
  • Like 1

DH and I discussed this over dinner last night. It all depends upon what is on the $12.00 limited list. I’m going to search the threads for the latest list. If I can’t find one then we’ll wait until we’re on board having a pint in the pub and make a decision. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and keep them coming.