Trip interruption, delay vs missed connection: What does "not duplicate any other benefits payable under the policy" mean?

aprilsp88

Hi,

I will take a flight to catch a cruise. I'm considering a policy which include "missed connection" benefit.

Under each benefit (trip interruption, delay and missed connection), it says "These benefit(s) will not duplicate any other benefits payable under the policy or any coverage(s) attached to the policy."

In case my flight is delayed, I missed the cruise, have to purchase another flight ticket to catch it from the next port, can I file flight ticket under "missed connection", hotel under "trip delay", unused cruise day under "trip interruption"?

Thanks,

April

I was hoping someone else would come and try to help you better understand what you are asking. However, it may be that your question(s) are too wide open and there is no 1 answer to your question.

I'll just share what I think some of the answers might be.

1. Missing the ship and catching up at the next port is a thing of the past I believe. There are just too many regulations and paperwork involved that I believe the cruise lines have stopped allowing this.

2. Your question about "These benefit(s) will not duplicate any other benefits payable under the policy or any coverage(s) attached to the policy."   is basically legalize telling you that you cannot double dip for any losses incurred. An example that I can think of is when a flight is cancelled and the airline offers you credits towards a future flight, you cannot then claim a loss and receive compensation for the cancelled flight.

3. Your example of In case my flight is delayed, I missed the cruise, have to purchase another flight ticket to catch it from the next port, can I file flight ticket under "missed connection", hotel under "trip delay", unused cruise day under "trip interruption"?  The answer will depend on a myriad of factors that I cannot answer. In some cases Yes, in some cases No. Why was your flight delayed? Weather? Mechanical? What will the airline put in writing? Did you put in a good faith effort to get to the ship? What will the cruise line put in writing to help you explain?

• Thanks 1

On 10/23/2022 at 1:23 PM, aprilsp88 said:

Hi,

I will take a flight to catch a cruise. I'm considering a policy which include "missed connection" benefit.

Under each benefit (trip interruption, delay and missed connection), it says "These benefit(s) will not duplicate any other benefits payable under the policy or any coverage(s) attached to the policy."

In case my flight is delayed, I missed the cruise, have to purchase another flight ticket to catch it from the next port, can I file flight ticket under "missed connection", hotel under "trip delay", unused cruise day under "trip interruption"?

Thanks,

April

Hi April,

> What does "not duplicate any other benefits payable under the policy" mean?

This wording is there because sometimes a claim is payable under different benefits in the same policy.

> In case my flight is delayed, I missed the cruise, have to purchase another flight ticket to catch it from the next port, can I file flight ticket under "missed connection", hotel under "trip delay", unused cruise day under "trip interruption"?

You'll have to check the policy's wording and definitions for the answer.

Steve Dasseos

• Thanks 2