How does refundable ticket work

hollon

I'm thinking about May 2024, but it's so far off, is booking a refundable ticket the best.  What if one person in the cabin can't go, and I want to change people, etc. Do i just cancel and rebook and the price could be higher.  Or, can I just add that person to our reservation?  Thanks 

Refundable tickets are good depending on your circumstances and costs. I’ve seen it for free (during COVID restarts), but recently it’s been between $12 to $700 extra for the option, so you have you to decide what’s good for you. You can cancel before final payment (more than 90 days or 75 days out depending on length of sailing) and get your full deposit (or full payment if you’ve paid up) back. Another option is to buy travel insurance from Royal or an outside agency. With Royal’s you get full money back if it meets their requirement, or you get 90% of cost to be applied to future cruise if canceled after final payment for other reasons.  The agent I talked to said I can choose to drop travel insurance outside final payment if I wanted, but I don’t know if that’s correct. Also with refundable fare, you can reprice to non-refundable in the future if cheaper, but it does not work the other way. As for changing guest, you can change out a guest if you want to someone else, but one of the two original passengers has to remain. That’s my understanding anyway.