Onboard Cabanas

sgrissom

I'm on board Valiant right now.  Frankly, I don't know why anyone would pay for the cabanas.  They are a place to sit or stretch out with beverage service.  I've seen them, but never anyone using them.  The red numbered  covered seats are available at no charge and provide a bit of a wind block (the white, paid cabanas would also partially block the wind)  There is all kinds of seating on the open decks.  Today is a PERFECT pool day, and there is still seating available around the pool and the hot tubs as well as in every space I visited on my "deck walk."  Unless you need privacy for some reason (in which case, use your balcony instead of a public deck), I don't know why you'd want a cabana with a fee.

• Like 3

I think they’re $350 for the small and $500 for the big ones, with some drink credit, maybe $100?

seems like a big fat waste of money, but there was a group that had a full bottle service setup in there on my current cruise.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2022 at 7:09 AM, sgrissom said:

I can’t seem to find any information about the onboard cabanas. Are they worth it? What was the charge? Pros and cons? Thanks!

We saw them on the Scarlet Lady back in July and they are not worth the price for me. We have rented cabanas on Holland America ships and also paid for the Serenity Retreat on Princess ships. Those are much more worth the price than what VV has done.

First off, they're just along the edge of the starboard side of the ship on Scarlet facing straight out to the water. There is not a private area, you're literally paying just for the 8x8 space and you get a glorious view of the railing and the ocean beyond. The same view you can get for free most anywhere else on Deck 16. Meanwhile folks are free to walk by as they pass between the pool area and the aft area of the ship. On HAL and Princess, when we pay for a cabana or retreat area, we have access to an entire area with large comfy lounge chairs, constant refreshment service and more. With VV you're paying for the box and you can call in some service as required. But that's it, you pay for the box.

On Bimini it's even worse honestly. Do NOT pay $500 for those tiny little cabanas that offer nothing but, again, a box in the same space as everyone else. They're not even good boxes. We've rented beach cabanas with Royal and Princess, they are so much better than what VV is offering.

It's weird because VV got so much right with their ships and cruise line, but the cabanas (and that stupid catamaran net) are not the best examples of their cruise line. Spend the money on your Bar Tab instead or get yourself a Tomahawk steak at The Wake. Absolutely worth the $65 added charge. 🙂 

Right--people can't see into the cabanas as they walk by, but they are just behind the back wall of the cabana.  Richard's rooftop is a lot more like the restricted areas on other ships.  In our 10 nights, I don't think I've seen a rented cabana in use.

We trie the Waygu beef in Gumbae.  It was OK, but certainly not worth $45 again.  Still, my sailing buddy wanted to try it and we had plenty of Loot.

2 hours ago, cantgetin said:

We trie the Waygu beef in Gumbae.  It was OK, but certainly not worth $45 again.  Still, my sailing buddy wanted to try it and we had plenty of Loot.

I would not pay that upcharge in Gunbae simply because it's thin strips cooked on the grill in front of you. If you want to 'Treat Yourself' to something amazing, pay the $65 for the Tomahawk Steak in The Wake. Both the preparation and presentation are amazing. You can see it on my YouTube channel, "Where's Walter Travel" in the "Scarlet Lady Food Tour" episode. CC won't allow me to post links to my own channel but you can find it easy enough. 🙂 

13 minutes ago, WheresWalter said:

I would not pay that upcharge in Gunbae simply because it's thin strips cooked on the grill in front of you. If you want to 'Treat Yourself' to something amazing, pay the $65 for the Tomahawk Steak in The Wake. Both the preparation and presentation are amazing. You can see it on my YouTube channel, "Where's Walter Travel" in the "Scarlet Lady Food Tour" episode. CC won't allow me to post links to my own channel but you can find it easy enough. 🙂 

I've watched several things on your channel. They are very well done.   We are on Valiant now, and according to a person claiming to work in IT, they have blocked all the video and streaming channels....we could get them for the first 4 of 5 days, but as soon as we left Funchal, we lost a lot of wifi function in the blink of an eye.  This guy says he did the necessary trouble shooting and found that the issue was a blocking by the ship.  Oh well, more to watch when I get home.....

On 10/26/2022 at 1:18 PM, cantgetin said:

I've watched several things on your channel. They are very well done.   We are on Valiant now, and according to a person claiming to work in IT, they have blocked all the video and streaming channels....we could get them for the first 4 of 5 days, but as soon as we left Funchal, we lost a lot of wifi function in the blink of an eye.  This guy says he did the necessary trouble shooting and found that the issue was a blocking by the ship.  Oh well, more to watch when I get home.....

Thanks for the kind words on the channel. That's interesting about the streaming. Was that turned off during the TA to Miami? 

1 hour ago, WheresWalter said:

Thanks for the kind words on the channel. That's interesting about the streaming. Was that turned off during the TA to Miami? 

Yes, I'm onboard now on the TA to Miami.  We lost streaming ability as we left Funchal.