What Extras Do You Pack?

JamieLogical

Not me but, Grandpa Fred packed a coffee maker and glass carafe on a Christmas cruise out of New Orleans.  I was really confused when he was complaining how his bag got mishandled at TSA shattering “his glass coffee pot”.  Oh this was useful stuff? My Bad.

On 10/28/2022 at 10:42 AM, trivimp said:

Poopouri. Also Fresh Wave spray.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q62MLYT

Sharing a tiny bathroom with a romantic partner during a week of eating a lot of rich food... well, it kind of demands it 

POOpouri, gross I do not want my cabin smelling like poo.  I would consider POTPouri but probably not.though.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

POOpouri, gross I do not want my cabin smelling like poo.  I would consider POTPouri but probably not.though.

Poopouri is a brand name of a spray intended to stop the smell of poop. You spray it on the water of the toilet before you go, and it traps the smell in.

It is not potpourri that smelles like poop, and the original poster spelled it correctly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, chloe173 said:

Poopouri is a brand name of a spray intended to stop the smell of poop. You spray it on the water of the toilet before you go, and it traps the smell in.

It is not potpourri that smelles like poop, and the original poster spelled it correctly.

I guess the humor went right over your precious little head.  Sorry, next time I'll try to put a humor disclaimed on applicable posts! 🙂

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

I guess the humor went right over your precious little head.  Sorry, next time I'll try to put a humor disclaimed on applicable posts! 🙂

Ok, boomer. Alternate idea: try being funnier. 

• Haha 2

On 10/29/2022 at 5:25 PM, eowyn13 said:

I’m on the fence about packing cubes. On one hand they seem great for keeping items organized on the other hand they seem to take up so much room in a suitcase that there isn’t any space for packing things (souvenirs) I might pick up along the way and want to bring home with me. Or for bringing home a bottle or two of alcohol. .For those of you who use packing cubes do you find this to be the case?

We own about a dozen packing cubes (3 sizes). I store them all inside one of the large ones.

It takes up less space than a towel...for all 12. So if DH & I each use 4-6, it adds VERY little to our bags.

I love to organize so I love the cubes.

I mostly roll (carefully), so few wrinkles. 

If anyone searches my bag they never unzip them so no one is pawing thru my unmentionables.

It keeps my suitcase nice & tidy.

They are still very squishable (they are cloth) so souvenirs can be added. (tho I rarely buy much on trips...)

• Like 3

On 10/29/2022 at 8:23 PM, NikiPinkston said:

I got my packing cubes from Amazon and they're very lightweight and fold down completely flat. They were inexpensive and won't last forever, but I've taken them on 3 cruises so far and love them. I'll just replace them when I need to. I have several of every size so my things are organized within each cube and easy to find. I do take out some things and hang them up. Finally got the hubs to use a couple of them and we do each have our own shelves when aboard. I don't pack my suitcase completely full so I don't usually have a problem with adding souvenirs, but I do bring a collapsible duffle just in case. I have a medium Longchamps and it folds up into a little square but holds a ton of stuff. I don't think I've ever been on a ship that had drawers. Hope that helps!

We have Amazon basics & they have been used MANY MANY times with no show of wear. 

Not even a rip!

• Like 4

Regarding Poopourri--I bring a tiny bottle of body spray (I don't like strong perfume) & leave it out. 

DH sprays it to freshen things up.

I love things that do double duty.

My recent add: Dollar tree LED tea lights. 2/pack.

I toss one in to use as a nightlight in the bathroom for the week. 

Toss when done.

Edited by KKB

On 10/27/2022 at 1:35 PM, RocketMan275 said:

Of course they should. 

The finest cruise advice I've ever encountered:

When packing for a cruise, lay out on a bed all the times you're considering taking including the cash.  Then put half the items back in the closet and double the cash.

I can understand the urges to overpack.  It's the "Well, I might need this or I might need that."  You won't.  If you're packing for a seven day cruise and it won't fit in a rolling carryon, you're packing too much.  If you're worried about where to store things on the ship, you're taking too much.

Another bit of good packing advice: when you're unpacking back at home, divide the stuff you took into two piles.  One pile is the stuff you actually used and the other is the stuff you didn't.  If you didn't use it, then don't take it again.

Another bit of advice, you'll never see  your fellow passengers again so why are you worried if they see you in the same outfit twice?  

BTW, three pairs of shoes and one bathing suit is enough.

Great advice, imo.

Rick Steves, world traveler, says stop packing for what you MIGHT need & just pack for what you WILL need.

I used to bring all the extras...now I pack for what I need for the most part. 

I can buy something I forget.

Regarding bringing items to organize (and I LOVE to organize!)--I have yet to stay in a room where there wasn't PLENTY of drawers/shelves/closet to put everything. Even with 5 of us in a DCL family suite. Even in a 130 sq. ft. NCL interior. I do have a hanging toiletry bag & packing cubes to help.

I do note what I didn't use each time & try to pack wiser the next time.

I am getting closer & closer to a capsule wardrobe & I ALWAYS wear things over.

3 pair of shoes is tough tho, for my plantar fascitis. It demands heel changes twice/day.

Edited by KKB
  • Like 1

On 10/25/2022 at 7:25 PM, chloe173 said:
  •  
  • Good Toilet Paper. (Ship toilet paper doesn't have anything on Charmin.)
  •  

We used to until I read numerous articles about how the ships septic systems don't handle the good stuff well. 

We miss our Charmin on a ship but a clogged toilet would be worse....

(it was never confiscated)

Edited by KKB

16 minutes ago, KKB said:

We used to until I read numerous articles about how the ships septic systems don't handle the good stuff well. 

We miss our Charmin on a ship but a clogged toilet would be worse....

(it was never confiscated)

We just bring our own wet wipes and place them in the trash can and the great cabin stewards empty them twice a day.  We have never been "punished".

• Like 1