Post Covid cruising...dining

snorkler8

Forgive me if this has been discussed already...but we are looking at a cruise in May which will be my DIL's first cruise.  It sounds like the dining experience isnt what it used to be?? Have they started charging extra on lobster night in the main dining room? I always go with the prime rib, which is also extra charge?

We are also looking at RC which we have never cruised on before.  Most likely we will will sail out of Galveston so that will be Breeze or Vista.  If RC it will be Voyager or Allure

TIA!

Answering as a Royal Caribbean cruiser:  

- We enjoyed the MDR on our recent cruise.  We found it to be as good as it was in the past.  We were seated quickly, and service was good.  

- Lobster tails (offered once towards the end of a one-week cruise) are offered at no additional cost in the  MDR.  You may ask for as many tails as you like.  You won't be alone if you ask for two.  They were average.  

- Full lobsters are offered every night in the MDR ... I think they're a $35 upcharge?  We didn't try them; come to think of it, I didn't see anyone with a full lobster ... not that I made a study of it.

- Prime Rib was offered at least once ... I want to say it was the first night?  My husband had it and said it was average; he said the Beef Tenderloin (different night) was better.  No upcharge for Prime Rib.

- Personally, I opt for seafood pretty much every time it's offered, and the MDR offers at least one seafood entree every night.  I was pleased with every one of them.  I also had fish & salad for lunch many days in the Windjammer ... I was disappointed in a fish with almond topping, but everything else was yummy. 

- The MDR has shrimp cocktail every night as an appetizer ... but it's only 4 shrimp; I often ordered two.  If you do this, ask the waiter to bring them at the same time; otherwise, you'll have one, then he'll take away the dish and bring you the second one.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1