Deposits and Payment Schedule

KansasTexan

I've always been one to book my cruise and pay for it (the whole thing) at the same time.  In looking at the NCL website, it appears I can put a small deposit down and then payment in full is due 120 days before sailing???  Is it that simple? I'm looking at a cruise nearly 2 years out. A lot can happen in that time. I appreciate input into this decision. Thanks.

1 minute ago, KansasTexan said:

I've always been one to book my cruise and pay for it (the whole thing) at the same time.  In looking at the NCL website, it appears I can put a small deposit down and then payment in full is due 120 days before sailing???  Is it that simple? I'm looking at a cruise nearly 2 years out. A lot can happen in that time. I appreciate input into this decision. Thanks.

It is that simple.  Happy sailing!

• Like 2

I have never booked a cruise in less time than the exact moment it becomes available on the cruise line's website (it's usually not quite two years, but 18 months certainly.)

I could never do what some of these old money people do around here, and just plop down deposits on two or three cruises a year.  By the time it comes available, I've already been researching the one I've chosen for close to 3 years.

8 minutes ago, EvanBedar said:

I have never booked a cruise in less time than the exact moment it becomes available on the cruise line's website (it's usually not quite two years, but 18 months certainly.)

I could never do what some of these old money people do around here, and just plop down deposits on two or three cruises a year.  By the time it comes available, I've already been researching the one I've chosen for close to 3 years.

I'd like some of that old money. :)  I'm retired and on a budget.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, EvanBedar said:

Gosh you'd hate how we generally book...we just pay the whole fare after final booking. In the case of our March cruise, we have just put down $1,500 as final payment date isn't here yet. Depending on what fares for that specific cruise do between now and November, we may just cancel and rebook when the fare looks a bit better.

• Like 1

I book anything we are interested in the day it opens.  No "old money"here,  just old, lol.  Deposits are totally refundable and with inflation concerns it makes total sense to me.  But I don't pay any more than the deposit until final payment day.  Usually, on that day I will make the final payment, buy third party insurance and buy airline tickets.  Why put yourself in the potential position of begging for your money back?  There is no financial upside to that and you are also handing out interest free loans if you book far in advance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We pay the deposit only. Depending on the total price of the cruise, sometimes I'll make additional payments a month or 2 before final payment date to spread the hurt across multiple credit card statements. You can even set up an automatic payment if you want to spread it out even further.

I will always book our cruises as soon as I find the itinerary I want at the price I'm comfortable with. Then I sit on it and reprice it out from time to time. If the price goes up (*ahem, Prima) I pat myself on the back knowing I locked in at a better price. If the price drops (*ahem, Joy), then as long as it's before that final payment date I can just call and get a price adjustment. But by booking early, I don't miss out on a cruise I want to take in the room of my preference.

Our next cruise has final payment date tomorrow. I paid the remaining balance yesterday, but just called my PCC tonight and I'm getting another $1900 back on my credit card since the price dropped and final payment hasn't come yet.

So yeah... no need to pay in full unless you like giving NCL a free loan for 2 years.

• Like 3