Thoughts.

clarets

18 hours ago, PaulManchester said:

I have also cruised with P and O, amongst others of course, for almost 40 years now, and to be completely frank, one of the reasons I have kept returning over the decades is precisely because P&O are, and always have been, unashamedly mid-market to budget in terms of their pricing and their ‘ offer’. And I for one, congratulate them for it.

In my experience, they haven’t ever pretended to be anything else. I do believe it is wonderful these days that more and more people are able to enjoy the peculiar delight of a cruise holiday - as we all secretly agree “there’s no other mainstream holiday quite like it”. I can say, hand on heart, I don’t believe I have ever even noticed the standard of clothing being worn by others, nor would I.

On those occasions when I have felt like treating myself and my family to a truly upmarket experience, I have done so. SevenSeas and Seabourn have been particular favourites in the past, along with a handful of exquisite private charters (when ironically I didn’t dress formally once).

I return to P&O because I have many happy memories of times onboard, and I actively enjoy meeting people from any, and all, walks of life. I often chuckle at my younger self who used to believe P&O were an exclusive cruise line, when the truth is they aren’t now, never were, and likely never will be. And I say all power to them for it.

Theres a place for all of us onboard, and that is precisely the way (I believe) it should be.

Long may they continue introducing more and more folks, from a huge and expanding variety of social and economic backgrounds to the absolute joy of cruising.

My first cruise with P&O was in 1997 aboard Victoria. We paid around £1300 each for a 2 week cruise, which certainly didn't feel like a mid or budget price. The experience on board was definitely not budget either and I would describe it as being at least at the top end of 'mid'. 

I do however agree that everything is now firmly mid to budget in comparison to other lines.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Britboys said:

My first cruise with P&O was in 1997 aboard Victoria. We paid around £1300 each for a 2 week cruise, which certainly didn't feel like a mid or budget price. The experience on board was definitely not budget either and I would describe it as being at least at the top end of 'mid'. 

I do however agree that everything is now firmly mid to budget in comparison to other lines.

Likewise.  1997 Oriana.   2 weeks Baltic £1699 inside 

• Like 1

Can't really see any problem with smart shorts if in a hot country. But I do feel a line should be drawn where people are just wearing shorts they come in from the pool wearing. They need to be a chino style short. I enjoy the odd formal night, but have been annoyed on occasions where they have had two in three or four nights. Once a week is sufficient. With regards to people moaning about formal nights I suggest they cruise on more informal type cruises. It's a bit like all those that moan about a tv programme. Why watch it. You have several other channels or an on/off switch. It will be a sad day if all formal nights are dispensed with and I also like my evening meal at the 8.30 sitting. But this seems to be disappearing with Freedom Dining as the newer ships only have this option available.

1 hour ago, galeforce9 said:

Likewise.  1997 Oriana.   2 weeks Baltic £1699 inside 

Our first cruise was on Victoria in 2002. Her last season. Lovely ship and great memories. It was to Madeira and the Canaries. I'm a bit averse to Canaries as I am an Ipswich fan. Believe it or not Las Palmas was closed as they had a strike on. We went for a wander but decided when confronted by a group of protesters to go back to the ship. Apparently if shop owners didn't close for the day their windows would be smashed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Can't really see any problem with smart shorts if in a hot country. But I do feel a line should be drawn where people are just wearing shorts they come in from the pool wearing. They need to be a chino style short. I enjoy the odd formal night, but have been annoyed on occasions where they have had two in three or four nights. Once a week is sufficient. With regards to people moaning about formal nights I suggest they cruise on more informal type cruises. It's a bit like all those that moan about a tv programme. Why watch it. You have several other channels or an on/off switch. It will be a sad day if all formal nights are dispensed with and I also like my evening meal at the 8.30 sitting. But this seems to be disappearing with Freedom Dining as the newer ships only have this option available.

It always puzzles me when people say that shorts should be allowed in the mdr when cruising in hot climates. I have done warm cruises and cold cruises. The temperature in the mdr, and the rest of the inside of the ship, is the same.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Each to their own but personally I wouldn't want shorts of any style to be allowed in the mdr in the evening. It is (imho) a formal environment and calls for long trousers - preferably not jeans (but I know that ship has already sailed 😀).

I don't have any problems with shorts being worn in the buffet during the evening though.

• Like 5

Tbh what anyone else where's does not impact my enjoyment of the cruise at all . I personally like to dress up for the evening as apart from conference dinners and award ceremonies don't get the chance to get out the long frocks. However this time year I cruised solo for the first time ( the occupancy was less than 1/3) and it was actually nice to be a little more relaxed( due to covid I had to dine alone so was less of a social occasion). I did change for dinner but wore slightly less formal attire. Maybe if I hadn't taken the cruise just to relax and recharge I may have dressed up more 

But those who choose to dress up didn't impact on my experience and likewise those who didn't when I did  had no impact on my experience 

I don’t mind folk wearing jeans or even decent (open to interpretation!) shorts in the MDR on a typical eve - it’s a fine enough venue for what it is, but it’s hardly even approaching a formal or even posh experience food-wise and atmosphere-wise on most evenings. Kind of Harvester/pub-type grub with nice tablecloths!

But I’d probably be put off eating the meagre cheese selection by someone wearing a string vest. Well, if I actually took much notice: but to be honest when dining I am normally more preoccupied with enjoying the company of my OH and friends etc than judging others. Although….

Edited by Camberley

On 10/29/2022 at 6:06 PM, Bazrat said:

Interesting to see you say there are less formal nights, on the cruise we are on there are 5, so your argument about being less is more to do with your imagination.

There are fewer.

It used to be two a week (plus jackets required nights and no jeans) and now it is one a week, no jackets and jeans are fine.

The direction is clear.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

There are fewer.

It used to be two a week (plus jackets required nights and no jeans) and now it is one a week, no jackets and jeans are fine.

The direction is clear.

Surely one a week only applies to Iona and Arvia.

All other ships normally have two per week.

Jeans would not normally be considered suitable for formal nights, and you may be refused entrance to certain venues, such as the MDR.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Surely one a week only applies to Iona and Arvia.

All other ships normally have two per week.

Jeans would not normally be considered suitable for formal nights, and you may be refused entrance to certain venues, such as the MDR.  

Yes, on the newer larger ships being introduced, with P&O having sent the older smaller ships to the scrapyard - the direction is clear.

As for jeans not being suitable for formal nights - well having seen what some people were wearing last night at Iona’s ‘celebration night’ then I doubt it would be an issue.

• Haha 1

Yes, on the newer larger ships being introduced, with P&O having sent the older smaller ships to the scrapyard - the direction is clear.

As for jeans not being suitable for formal nights - well having seen what some people were wearing last night at Iona’s ‘celebration night’ then I doubt it would be an issue.

I think the direction is clear for the large ships - I see no evidence of any change of direction on the rest of the fleet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I think the direction is clear for the large ships - I see no evidence of any change of direction on the rest of the fleet.

Other than sending the ships that used to do that frequency to the scrapyard and replacing them with those that don’t?

Other than sending the ships that used to do that frequency to the scrapyard and replacing them with those that don’t?

I'm not aware of any new ships on the order book, are you ?

We all are aware that Arcadia and Aurora are at risk, in the medium term, but the three remaing mid-size ships will continue as before.

45 minutes ago, wowzz said:

but the three remaing mid-size ships will continue as before.

Unless you are on the management board of P&O then that’s just a guess. 

I would say that in the current circumstances that everything is up for grabs. 

7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

What current circumstances affect formal nights ?

On Britannia recently there seemed to be more folk wearing sandals with long socks wandering around the ship.  I vote that black  shorts, sandals and long black socks are OK for formal nights. OK for the men as well.

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Looking at this poster's history he only joined on Thursday.  I'm guessing it's either another wind up merchant or someone who knows absolutely nothing about P&O and it's ships - hence the "scrap" comment.

Not worth the bother perhaps?

• Like 8

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

The current crisis regarding getting the top buttons done up on my posh night shirts. 2 formal nights on our Azura cruise. As DW said ' my brother and SiL like formal nights, if you can't get them to fit by February you can buy 2 new ones.'....so that circumstance.