Spirit ..How was your week?

maurick

I did ask about booking our kids into the specialty restaurants with us and was told that children over 5 will be charged whether or not they order off the regular restaurant kids menu.

In honesty it makes sense to me. They are taking up 2 chairs that could of been booked to paying adults in a small restaurant with limited seating.

So we simply booked for 7pm and took the kids to the buffet before group and then took them to group while we were having a nice peaceful dinner.

I just wanted to give my opinion on a few things. I thought the food in Windows was great and I'm usually a tough critic when it comes to food :D!

I thought the menus had a good variety and most of the time I had a hard time choosing..I usually ordered something different from my hubby so we could try each others! Off the top of my head I remember eating Flank Steak, Grilled Mahi Mahi, a chicken in a brown sauce that was excellent (might have been Chicken Marsala). I will try and figure out what it was and include it in a review. The dessert souffles were wonderful.

The only specialty restaurant we ate in was La Trattoria and it was good. My hubby's lasagna was a little dry, but nothing that kept him from eating it. I had the Chicken Parmigiana. The best Tiramisu I have ever had. The caeser salad in every restaurant and the buffet was the same, excellent! The service in La Trattoria was excellent. It was my daughter's birthday and they really made her feel special. There is not a cover charge in La Trattoria. We did not eat in any of the other specialty restaurants because we were always happy with Windows, but everyone I talked to said they were excellent. Now, for the buffet. I was disappointed with breakfast most of the time. I usually at french toast or the waffles. The main thing was the eggs. They were always runny and looked like they were not done. The fresh omelettes and waffles always had a line, but they were good! I never left hungry, but I ate almost the same thing everyday. As for lunch, I always found something that I liked and it was good. The one thing on the buffet that was excellent was the bread pudding. I had some every day! Blue Lagoon had some good chili and stir fry. It was great when/if you were hungry for something quick, but wanted something besides the buffet.

The last couple of days I ate breakast in Windows and it was good. I had an omelette the first time and eggs sunny side up on the last day. For some reason, they did not offer omelettes on the last day.

As for the shows, Bob Trunell was great. He is a magician/illusionist. I did not attend any other shows, but the Who Wants to be a Bazillionaire was fun. Hubby said Second City was ok, nothing spectacular, but he loves comedy and is hard to please!

I will try and post a review today or tomorrow with more details.

Jewelrymom

I also wanted to say Thank you to the recent cruisers who have posted their reviews. It has really helped me plan for my upcoming cruise. I have a few questions for you?

Did you arrive on time in Port Canaveral? I think there was a bit of a delay getting into port the week before.

What time did you get back into NYC and how long did it take you to disembark?

Allison

i was on the same ship. very crowded at the pool (only one pool) and also hard to find seats in the buffet at breakfast every day. the breakfast buffet was awesome except the fact that they give you tiny glasses (smaller than the size the rest of the day because they offer juice). the glasses are seriously 4-6 ounces. i ate at the specialty resturants every night. every specialty resturant had great food but unless you booked a day ahead of time sometimes it was hard to get a seat. i ate windows one night and it was pretty good. the french resturant was the best. the buffet for dinner at raffles sucked really bad.

I plan to write a full review sometime this week of our 2/26-3/5 cruise on the NCL Spirit, and also have some photos that I would like to share... not of the 2 of us, but of the stateroom & public areas of the ship that I thought would be helpful to other CCs.

Any suggestions on where I can post the photos with easy access for those interested?

*** FYI, Here is a post that I made on "Question for Recent 7 Day Spirit Cruiser" earlier today:

We just got back from the 2/26-3/5 Spirit cruise, and missed the CC meeting at the Galaxy of Stars scheduled during the sail-away out of Manhattan. I'm sure the folks were in there somewhere, but I never found them among the huge crowd in there. I would suggest if you do plan a get together, print up a bold and colorful 8x10 "CC Meeting" sign on your computer, and then plan to meet in the Galaxy of Stars way up front, behind the stage where the FAUX ship's wheel is located. It is a partially enclosed area where the radar, controls and GPS maps also reside with plenty of seating all around for after you meet up. This area is not too busy in the AM, and that should help you find one another easier.

Also you might be able to get a CC meeting listed in the "Freestyle Daily" paper (from the cruise director's crew) that gets delivered to your room. I did see other group meetings listed there, and I cannot see why they would not accommodate CC get together. In fact we noticed at any mention of surveys, the already helpful crew would go out of they're way to make sure we were happy. With that said, getting help arranging a CC meeting should be easy.

I'm surprised to hear about the "terrible food" we were on the 10 day 2/9 and only found one night (carribean night) that we didn't care for what was on the menu ( also my DH,DS,DD and 2 friends) We did eat a few times in the specialty restaurants( cagneys, le bistro, trattoria and shogun) and we ate in Windows for breakfast and lunch most days and the majority of the dinners at the Garden. Since we are a picky NY family about what we eat, I was pleased with the food on this line. Yes the specialty restaurants were fantastic as well. I always paid full price for my kids as they ordered thesame dinner we did.

Also a side not to those with the hard beds. I had sen posting re this and as soon as we boarded we asked our steward to put the egg crates on the beds and we were very pleased.

I hope those who will be cruising this ship in the future to keep an open mind about the food. It was really enjoyable

Note to LuckyDawgs:

Most rollcalls do enlist the assistance of NCL in Miami to set up their meeting, and usually it takes place in a quiet location, and on the first sea-day, rather than during sailaway. This way, it's much easier for members to attend, as they are not busy getting settled in, or watching the sights. NCL's Passenger Courtesy Department does a fabulous job assisting in the setup of meetings such as this.

Also,it is not possible to have a meeting posted in the Freestyle Daily, as there are regulations with regard to CC meetings. If the meeting is properly set up with NCL's Passenger Courtesy Department, they will provide a sign at the entrance to the venue chosen, and your space will be completely private. They absolutely, positively cannot publish the meeting in the Freestyle Daily, as they are not under contract with CC. There really is no need for them to do so anyway, as the rollcall leader should notify everyone, and make sure that it's held at an appropriate time, etc.

Hope this makes sense! :o

Pepper,

After reading your post regarding involving NCL with on board CC meetings, I did some further investigation and located Community Guidelines and Message Board Help where I should have started in the first place... it's all in there.

Being new to this forum, I really appreciate your patient direction.

Thank you,

Jim

Pepper,

After reading your post regarding involving NCL with on board CC meetings, I did some further investigation and located Community Guidelines and Message Board Help where I should have started in the first place... it's all in there.

Being new to this forum, I really appreciate your patient direction.

Thank you,

Jim

Jim, we were all new here once! ;) Glad you're finding your way around, and hope you're feeling welcomed! :D We're all here to help one another and to learn all that we can from each other, and boy oh boy do we learn. :) Nice to have you with us.

Archived