Marella, 1st cruise holiday

Hi and welcome. We did our first Marella cruise last March and were really impressed having done around 25 cruises with other companies. Whilst we never dined in the MDR we ate in the alternative restauants and were seriously impressed. Dress in the evenings is smart casual and they do a “dress to impress” night once a week for which you can put on your tux etc. we upgraded to the super all inclusive for the big names in drinks which we thought was well worth while. We are going again in a couple of weeks. As we struggle to get around these days, we don’t do trips but the prices are not dissimilar to what other lines charge. I am sure you will enjoy.

Hi Alamo, first cruise you must be so excited!

We always dine in the MDR in the evening and the food is quite good. On Discovery recently the service was good with wine top ups although we ate around 7pm. I understand it was busier later. We usually breakfast in the buffet but this can get very busy as everyone is eating at the same time. Snacks by the pool were very good as were other venues. You will not go hungry and should find something to your taste.

Off ship excursions can be expensive but it depends on how far away they are etc. Mostly you can go ashore and wander around the ports, maybe just do a couple of trips 

Just relax and enjoy yourselves!

Hi we have done two Marella cruises (Ex2 & D2) and enjoyed both, we have since cruised with Cunard and whilst it was good we will be looking to go with Marella again in the near future as we think its a better fit for us. Marella excursions are on the whole a reasonable price especially compared to the eyewatering Cunard prices. Enjoy. 

Yes, we will never go on Cunard again after our experience on QM2. Plus we thought the clientele contained a lot of jumped up never come down people. We like Marella and I am sure you won’t be disappointed.

• Like 1

We did our 1st cruise with Marella last November and really enjoyed it, so much so that we have booked another for next February (both Caribbean cruises). We have previously cruised with P&O, but their Caribbean itinerary never changes. We found the food to be fine and the staff were lovely, the upgraded drinks is well worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sagaris. We have done Explorer twice round the Canaries. Excellent both trips. Not considered them for the Caribbean but I agree that P&O are very SOSO now. Even so we are with them again in a couple of weeks time. Hope you enjoy your trips

Hi, I have done one marella cruise (June 22 adriatic affair) (Explorer 2) and enjoyed it that I have booked a Caribbean cruise on the explorer 2 again for Feb 23

The ship is a good size, decent sized rooms and the drinks great. 

We ate breakfast in the buffet and dinner in the MDR every night which the food was good but service sometimes slow and found it to be extremely warm in there. 

Entertainment was a bit poor with a comedy night being the best night and the crew show. 

Didn't spend much time on board during the day as we had a port stop every day and we were out exploring.... 

Hoping to have a more relaxed time this time and stay local to the ports/beach on some stops. 

I will see how this compares to the first and I'm booked on P&O iona in June for the Norwegian fjords.

50 minutes ago, Nokiaman said:

Hi, I have done one marella cruise (June 22 adriatic affair) (Explorer 2) and enjoyed it that I have booked a Caribbean cruise on the explorer 2 again for Feb 23

The ship is a good size, decent sized rooms and the drinks great. 

We ate breakfast in the buffet and dinner in the MDR every night which the food was good but service sometimes slow and found it to be extremely warm in there. 

Entertainment was a bit poor with a comedy night being the best night and the crew show. 

Didn't spend much time on board during the day as we had a port stop every day and we were out exploring.... 

Hoping to have a more relaxed time this time and stay local to the ports/beach on some stops. 

I will see how this compares to the first and I'm booked on P&O iona in June for the Norwegian fjords.

Hi Nokiaman 

Pleased you enjoyed your cruise and the Caribbean is great, we did find, after many cruises with Tui, that the upgrade on the flights was well worth it, understand its expensive but its far more comfortable. Enjoy.