Thermal Spa or Vibe Beach Club?

SunshineGal2022

I am looking at taking my son and daughter on the Escape in June ‘23 for a Caribbean cruise. The trip will be for my son’s 21st birthday and my daughter’s high school graduation. 

If I upgraded to only one place, which one is a better choice?  I sunburn easily so I was leaning towards the Thermal Spa. But maybe the padded chairs and private drinks on the quiet sun deck is better?  I am not a big drinker, but I like mocktails. And I love fresh sea air.

Also, my daughter will be 55 days short of her 18th birthday when we board the ship. Is there any way they would let me pay to get her a pass to either place? She has autism (with sensory issues) and fibromyalgia and would love a quiet space away from the main pool deck. I am afraid they would be very strict on the dates, but she would be so close in age that I was hoping they may have a grace period. 

You can ask for your daughter as a reasonable accommodation based on disability. If you frame as an accommodation request they may allow it if you can show disability related reason (would regular pool deck mean sensory overload so to enjoy the cruise as a non disabled person would, would a quieter space be beneficial?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SunshineGal2022 said:

I am looking at taking my son and daughter on the Escape in June ‘23 for a Caribbean cruise. The trip will be for my son’s 21st birthday and my daughter’s high school graduation. 

If I upgraded to only one place, which one is a better choice?  I sunburn easily so I was leaning towards the Thermal Spa. But maybe the padded chairs and private drinks on the quiet sun deck is better?  I am not a big drinker, but I like mocktails. And I love fresh sea air.

Also, my daughter will be 55 days short of her 18th birthday when we board the ship. Is there any way they would let me pay to get her a pass to either place? She has autism (with sensory issues) and fibromyalgia and would love a quiet space away from the main pool deck. I am afraid they would be very strict on the dates, but she would be so close in age that I was hoping they may have a grace period. 

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  Just wanted to mention that the Thermal Spa is not always quiet.  I did a Caribbean cruise on the Escape in February and that Thermal Spa was the noisiest one I have ever been in.  I like going for the peace and quiet but many of the passengers in there that day (it was the afternoon of a port day, which is usually empty) thought it was there own private party area.  The pool was packed, heated tile lounger 'hogs', lots of yelling back and forth. It was just as bad on a sea day. I had a spa balcony cabin and this was the least amount of time I had ever spent in the Thermal Spa.  Hopefully if this is what you chose, the passengers will be better behaved.  And before I get flamed, I am pretty laid back and realize that everyone who pays for it can behave as they want but I had just never experienced this on any other ship (and I know it can happen on any ship).

Whatever you decide, I hope you and your family enjoy your cruise.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lt0826 said:

You can ask for your daughter as a reasonable accommodation based on disability. If you frame as an accommodation request they may allow it if you can show disability related reason (would regular pool deck mean sensory overload so to enjoy the cruise as a non disabled person would, would a quieter space be beneficial?)

I hadn’t thought of this.  We don’t vacation generally and never remember to ask for accommodation requests.  I have just begun to read the disability boards so I do not know what NCL offers for accommodations.  Thank you for the idea!

I was agreeing with mjkacmom and www3traveler and didn’t think she would have much luck.  

27 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  Just wanted to mention that the Thermal Spa is not always quiet.  I did a Caribbean cruise on the Escape in February and that Thermal Spa was the noisiest one I have ever been in.  I like going for the peace and quiet but many of the passengers in there that day (it was the afternoon of a port day, which is usually empty) thought it was there own private party area.  The pool was packed, heated tile lounger 'hogs', lots of yelling back and forth. It was just as bad on a sea day. I had a spa balcony cabin and this was the least amount of time I had ever spent in the Thermal Spa.  Hopefully if this is what you chose, the passengers will be better behaved.  And before I get flamed, I am pretty laid back and realize that everyone who pays for it can behave as they want but I had just never experienced this on any other ship (and I know it can happen on any ship).

Thank you for the welcome and thorough answer!  We were looking at a spa balcony room since it is cheaper to get a spa balcony room than a balcony room + Thermal Spa pass.  But then I started questioning the decision, and started wondering if I should stick with a balcony + Vibe pass.  I have never been on NCL before, but went on Disney years ago and RCL as a child. 

Ofc I expect that any location may have the rowdy people that come.  Do they keep the level down at Vibe more so than the Thermal Spa?

58 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

I’m on the Encore now for a 21 day cruise. Some tiled lounger hogs but lots of older men falling asleep and snoring. Ruins the ambiance. 

47 minutes ago, SunshineGal2022 said:

I hadn’t thought of this.  We don’t vacation generally and never remember to ask for accommodation requests.  I have just begun to read the disability boards so I do not know what NCL offers for accommodations.  Thank you for the idea!

I was agreeing with mjkacmom and www3traveler and didn’t think she would have much luck.  

Thank you for the welcome and thorough answer!  We were looking at a spa balcony room since it is cheaper to get a spa balcony room than a balcony room + Thermal Spa pass.  But then I started questioning the decision, and started wondering if I should stick with a balcony + Vibe pass.  I have never been on NCL before, but went on Disney years ago and RCL as a child. 

Ofc I expect that any location may have the rowdy people that come.  Do they keep the level down at Vibe more so than the Thermal Spa?

I would expect the vibe to be rowdier than the spa.

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I would expect the vibe to be rowdier than the spa.

I think you are probably right, though I have no first hand experience with the Vibe (not a sun person). Another option could be The Waterfront. This area wraps around Deck 8 and has comfy couches and chairs, a bar on either side to grab a mocktail, no age restriction, looks out over the ocean and is very relaxing.  It is my go to place to read and enjoy the fresh sea air. Even if it is raining, there is an overhang that will protect you.  It can also sometimes get crowded but you can usually find a chair or couch to sit on (though some people do sleep out here also). Go to You Tube and look at  some videos from the Escape and you can see if this option might work for you.

I haven't personally experienced the Vibe, so won't comment on that. As for the thermal suite, there are much quieter times of the day, than others. If the weather is nice outside, I doubt you'll have much noise in the thermal suite though it's definitely possible with the water, the loud talking of others, and the echo. 

But, go in the morning from 8 - 10 or in the evening from 6 - 10 and you'll likely have the place almost to yourself. I've never experienced crowds during those times of the day...of course your cruise could be an exception. You won't know til you try it....good luck!

20 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

Ditto

My wife and I have been in the thermal spa a bunch of times. It can get loud, its not supposed to but it can. Its supposed to be a quite place, for most people it is. 

Neither the spa nor the vibe are guaranteed to be quiet, but I would think the spa has a better chance of serenity. You could try requesting your daughter’s access as an accommodation, but because the ships aren’t flagged in the US, they don’t have to follow the ADA. My choice would be the Haven, if it is in your budget, or the Waterfront. 

I've been in Vibe on two trips, the vibe for lack of a better term pretty much depends on the people in there. 

On our first trip, a handful of people decided that every afternoon at around 5 was shot time. Little by little the number of people participating grew until he was making like 20 shots at a time for the 5pm shot time. But at the same time people weren't loud about it, overall it was pretty chill.

Our second trip had a younger group in the vibe and they were a little louder, but still nothing crazy. 

The loungers are nice, the padding makes quite a difference over the standard loungers. They have rolling umbrellas for shade and will position them however you'd like. One cavate there, the location of the Vibe on Breakaway and Getaway made it quite windy on sea days. If winds got out of hand they'd shut the umbrellas down until things calmed.

I'd say first course of action would be finding out if you can get an exemption for your daughter, if they're a firm no in both locations then there's no need to keep debating a location. If they would let you do Vibe in the circumstances, then you can take a deeper look and see if it would work for you.

I would say check online for videos from the ship you'll be on, as it can be different on different boats. I went on Breakaway and  Getaway, while the ships are almost identical, for some reason the Vibe on Getaway was massive compared to Breakaway. Breakaway had a small portion of the deck up near the Haven sundeck, the Getaway pretty much had the whole deck minus the Haven sundeck. Lots more room and lots more places to find shade.

I'd pick the thermal spa every single time. The heated loungers are great and usually offer an amazing view. And I thoroughly enjoy the hot tubs, sauna's, steam room etc... to relax the muscles after a full day of excursion. We will typically board the ship, head straight to the thermal spa to unwind and relax, then shower up and head out for dinner.

• Like 2