Covid Protection Plan To Cancel Cruise Within 5 Days Pre Embarkation -Acceptable Testing?

Suncitycruiser1925

Has anyone used the Holland America Covid Protection Plan to cancel a cruise within 5 days of embarkation due to a positive covid test?  It is my understanding that a future cruise credit will be issued to be used within one year due to this coverage once the proper documentation is received and approved.  

If yes, what type of covid test did you submit to Holland America for this documentation?

For instance, Walgreens, has 3 covid testing options available at the pharmacy:

1.  PCR (takes several days to get results back)

2.  Rapid NAAT (results within a few hours) and

3.  Antibiody (results also same day).

I want to make sure to get the proper testing done for this coverage to be effective.  I called Holland America and spoke to a customer service representative and she told me it doesn't matter which covid test is done as long as it is observed by a health professional and you receive a written report documenting a positive result.

I would appreciate any cruise critic member's experience they may have had with this situation as to which test is acceptable by Holland America.  Thanks very much in advance for your help.

7 minutes ago, Suncitycruiser1925 said:

Has anyone used the Holland America Covid Protection Plan to cancel a cruise within 5 days of embarkation due to a positive covid test?  It is my understanding that a future cruise credit will be issued to be used within one year due to this coverage once the proper documentation is received and approved.  

If yes, what type of covid test did you submit to Holland America for this documentation?

I want to make sure to get the proper testing done for this coverage to be effective.  I called Holland America and spoke to a customer service representative and she told me it doesn't matter which covid test is done as long as it is observed by a health professional and you receive a written report documenting a positive result.

I would appreciate any cruise critic member's experience they may have had with this situation as to which test is acceptable by Holland America.  Thanks very much in advance for your help.

You do not need an antibody test.  That is not for current infection.  We got the Rapid NAAT test.  If you look at the Holland website they have FAQ which can tell you what tests they accept.

6 hours ago, Suncitycruiser1925 said:

Mary. Please see my post re FCC. When I called HAL and advised I was covid + they did not ask for proof. They have cancelled the cruise, organised a refund of the taxes and fees and converted the cancellation fee (the rest of the money) to a FCC. I called twice to make sure. They advise the FCC will take between 3 and 6 weeks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Galesa said:

Mary. Please see my post re FCC. When I called HAL and advised I was covid + they did not ask for proof. They have cancelled the cruise, organised a refund of the taxes and fees and converted the cancellation fee (the rest of the money) to a FCC. I called twice to make sure. They advise the FCC will take between 3 and 6 weeks.

Thank you for sharing your experience with having to   cancel due to testing covid positive and that you were advised you will be receiving a future cruise credit.  It makes good sense that Holland America does not want folks that test positive prior to embarkation getting on one of their ships with so many other pàssengers.  We will be happy to reschedule a cruise when we are able to do so sometime next year.  

11 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

You do not need an antibody test.  That is not for current infection.  We got the Rapid NAAT test.  If you look at the Holland website they have FAQ which can tell you what tests they accept.

Thank you for your reply.  The rapid NAAT test at Walgreens is what I scheduled.  The types of available tests are confusing to me and I didn't want to pick the wrong one to get.