Dubai Accommodation.

Busy Mum

Firstly I’ll apologise if this has already been discussed, but I couldn’t see anything.

Hubby & I will be in Dubai at the conclusion of our cruse in Nov 2023 & I’m interested to hear of some hotel recommendations for a 2/3 night stay in Dubai. We have been to Dubai before but this was an overnight stay on a Princess cruise in 2018. 

Not sure where to base ourselves, in the City or by the beach, also are taxi’s expensive in Dubai?

Thank you for any feedback. Vicki. 😀

• Like 1

I was in Dubai for 5 nights in 2017 and what I learned was that the city is quite large and traffic terrible. Taxis were expensive and it took forever to get anywhere. I would look for what you want to do and find a place to stay near that. I don't remember where I stayed but it wasn't convenient to anything so I wouldn't stay there again as it was a half hour taxi to go anywhere. BTW, Ubers were less expensive than taxis. 

Often when I'm looking for a hotel pre/post cruise, I look at what hotel the ship is using and then book that hotel independently (much cheaper than through the ship) or if it's not available or is still too expensive, look for a hotel near the ship's hotel. The cruise lines usually choose based on locations and quality.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jamietravelstheworld said:

I was in Dubai for 5 nights in 2017 and what I learned was that the city is quite large and traffic terrible. Taxis were expensive and it took forever to get anywhere. I would look for what you want to do and find a place to stay near that. I don't remember where I stayed but it wasn't convenient to anything so I wouldn't stay there again as it was a half hour taxi to go anywhere. BTW, Ubers were less expensive than taxis. 

Often when I'm looking for a hotel pre/post cruise, I look at what hotel the ship is using and then book that hotel independently (much cheaper than through the ship) or if it's not available or is still too expensive, look for a hotel near the ship's hotel. The cruise lines usually choose based on locations and quality.

Thank you so very much for your thoughts. I will most definitely look into what O are offering with their pre/post hotels. Thanks again, Vicki. 😄

• 2 months later...
On 11/2/2022 at 7:46 PM, Busy Mum said:

Thank you so very much for your thoughts. I will most definitely look into what O are offering with their pre/post hotels. Thanks again, Vicki. 😄

We will be ending our cruise ( Athens to Dubai ) in November.  Our trip includes for a 2 night post cruise stay at the Dusit2 hotel which is in the area close to the Burj Khalifa Tower and mall.  It is not near a beach so may not be what you are looking for.  We are extending our stay for 5 nights and we have booked to stay at The Rixos Palms hotel which is all inclusive. This hotel has its own beach area.  Perhaps you should consider staying in the Marina area which has many restaurants / shops etc and easy access to the Metro system.  JA Ocean View is in the Marina area ( just one of many ) and has access to the beach which might suit you.

Good luck.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, COSH said:

We will be ending our cruise ( Athens to Dubai ) in November.  Our trip includes for a 2 night post cruise stay at the Dusit2 hotel which is in the area close to the Burj Khalifa Tower and mall.  It is not near a beach so may not be what you are looking for.  We are extending our stay for 5 nights and we have booked to stay at The Rixos Palms hotel which is all inclusive. This hotel has its own beach area.  Perhaps you should consider staying in the Marina area which has many restaurants / shops etc and easy access to the Metro system.  JA Ocean View is in the Marina area ( just one of many ) and has access to the beach which might suit you.

Good luck.

Hi COSH, thank you so very much for your reply & advice, it’s very much appreciated! Vicki. 😀

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, VisionaryJax said:

Following this because we will embark from Dubai in 2024. @Busy Mum, if you think of it, lease post what you decide to do and how it works out! Thank you!

Hi VisionaryJax, if in fact we continue with these plans & do make it to Dubai, I will certainly come back here & let you know. Dubai is a wonderful city & I’m sure whatever you decide it will be amazing. Take care & chat again. Vicki. 😄

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Busy Mum said:

Hi VisionaryJax, if in fact we continue with these plans & do make it to Dubai, I will certainly come back here & let you know. Dubai is a wonderful city & I’m sure whatever you decide it will be amazing. Take care & chat again. Vicki. 😄

Im going on a cruise From Dubai-Athens next week.  Staying 2 days pre-cruise.  Im staying at the Gevora Hotel ( near the Burj Kalifa).  I also pre-purchased a 2 day Hop on Hop Off bus tour that will take me to all the major sites ( no need to worry about taxis or ride shares).  If you want to stay close to the port, look into the Queen Mary Hotel.  Used to be a luxury ship ( luxury from 1930-50's standards) that is now a floating hotel in the port.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 9tee2Sea said:

Im going on a cruise From Dubai-Athens next week.  Staying 2 days pre-cruise.  Im staying at the Gevora Hotel ( near the Burj Kalifa).  I also pre-purchased a 2 day Hop on Hop Off bus tour that will take me to all the major sites ( no need to worry about taxis or ride shares).  If you want to stay close to the port, look into the Queen Mary Hotel.  Used to be a luxury ship ( luxury from 1930-50's standards) that is now a floating hotel in the port.  

Ooooh! Have fun! And thanks for the hotel information. Queen Mary sounds great! Also a place near the Burj Kalifa sounds great. If you think of it, please drop back in here and post how was the hotel and the hop-on/hop-off. I saw that as an option and wondered if it would a good plan -- we're older and don't hop on or off anything much, I would be curious how it is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Taxis are dirt cheap. There are also Ubers.

Best area imho is around the marina or JBR Jumeriah Beach Resort. Here you can walk to lots of restaurants and shops. 
I recommend the Sofitel on JBR.  There is also the cheap efficient tram which connects to the cheap efficient metro.

Avoid the Palm as it’s soulless and few facilities outside your hotel - also only one road on/ off so traffic is bad 

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2023 at 2:57 AM, little britain said:

Taxis are dirt cheap. There are also Ubers.

Best area imho is around the marina or JBR Jumeriah Beach Resort. Here you can walk to lots of restaurants and shops. 
I recommend the Sofitel on JBR.  There is also the cheap efficient tram which connects to the cheap efficient metro.

Avoid the Palm as it’s soulless and few facilities outside your hotel - also only one road on/ off so traffic is bad 

Thank you! This is such great information. That Palm! I didn't even think of that. This whole region is new to me.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2023 at 12:35 AM, VisionaryJax said:

Ooooh! Have fun! And thanks for the hotel information. Queen Mary sounds great! Also a place near the Burj Kalifa sounds great. If you think of it, please drop back in here and post how was the hotel and the hop-on/hop-off. I saw that as an option and wondered if it would a good plan -- we're older and don't hop on or off anything much, I would be curious how it is.

Just a quick comment if you were interested, the floating hotel moored beside the cruise terminal in Port Rashid is actually the QE2 not the Queen Mary (I believe that is in a port in California).  Also when checking for pre or post cruise hotel accommodation in Dubai it's good to know which terminal your cruise ship will dock at as there are now two here and there is quite a distance between them.  The original Cruise Terminal in Port Rashid which is in the old part of Dubai and the new one which is called Dubai Harbour Cruise Terminal which is right beside the Palm Jumeirah and close to Dubai Marina.   I've met up with friends arriving here on cruise ships twice recently and one arrived in Port Rashid (with Oceania) and the other at Dubai Harbour (with Cunard on the QM2).   As others have rightly noted traffic is dreadful here for the most part so finding somewhere that has easy access to the Metro would be a good idea... It's easy to use, very clean and for the most part above ground so you can sightsee as you go!!

Anne...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2023 at 2:04 AM, Jayayeff said:

Just a quick comment if you were interested, the floating hotel moored beside the cruise terminal in Port Rashid is actually the QE2 not the Queen Mary (I believe that is in a port in California).  Also when checking for pre or post cruise hotel accommodation in Dubai it's good to know which terminal your cruise ship will dock at as there are now two here and there is quite a distance between them.  The original Cruise Terminal in Port Rashid which is in the old part of Dubai and the new one which is called Dubai Harbour Cruise Terminal which is right beside the Palm Jumeirah and close to Dubai Marina.   I've met up with friends arriving here on cruise ships twice recently and one arrived in Port Rashid (with Oceania) and the other at Dubai Harbour (with Cunard on the QM2).   As others have rightly noted traffic is dreadful here for the most part so finding somewhere that has easy access to the Metro would be a good idea... It's easy to use, very clean and for the most part above ground so you can sightsee as you go!!

Anne...

Thank you so much! This is great information! I appreciate your taking the time to comment here. Do you live in Dubai? What are the "don't miss" things for a few days before our trip? Thanks!

Also you are right about the Queen mary in Long Beach; I have been on that ship and forgot the name! LOL

Edited by VisionaryJax

11 hours ago, VisionaryJax said:

Thank you so much! This is great information! I appreciate your taking the time to comment here. Do you live in Dubai? What are the "don't miss" things for a few days before our trip? Thanks!

Also you are right about the Queen mary in Long Beach; I have been on that ship and forgot the name! LOL

Yes, I am living in Dubai, and have done for a long time so am always happy to help with visitor info.   A lot depends on what time of year your trip is, what your interests are and whether you are comfortable getting about independently.   Dubai is spread over a large area, and as previously mentioned traffic can be a major issue to take into consideration, so unless you want a beach break then I would always recommend picking a more central location for a pre or post cruise stay…

Anne

• Like 2

Since our flight into Dubai arrives at 3:15 am (on March 24) we have opted to stay at the Holiday Inn Express at the airport which offers a 24 hr shuttle service from airport to hotel. We will be staying there the short night after we arrive and the next night as well before we embark on our cruise ship which won't leave until the next evening. The hotel offers a free shuttle in the daytime to the Festival City Mall, Dubai Mall, Souk Al Marfa, and Al Mamzar Beach Park. What do you recommend from those choices? We will have another day in Dubai after we get on the ship. We were in Dubai a few years ago on a cruise stop and went to the Dubai Mall and up to the deck of Burj Kalifa so want to do something different this year. We realize that we will be arriving at the beginning of Ramadan so don't know how that will affect our choices. Any advice is welcome!

Edited by 40yearcruiser
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2023 at 1:14 PM, 40yearcruiser said:

Since our flight into Dubai arrives at 3:15 am (on March 24) we have opted to stay at the Holiday Inn Express at the airport which offers a 24 hr shuttle service from airport to hotel. We will be staying there the short night after we arrive and the next night as well before we embark on our cruise ship which won't leave until the next evening. The hotel offers a free shuttle in the daytime to the Festival City Mall, Dubai Mall, Souk Al Marfa, and Al Mamzar Beach Park. What do you recommend from those choices? We will have another day in Dubai after we get on the ship. We were in Dubai a few years ago on a cruise stop and went to the Dubai Mall and up to the deck of Burj Kalifa so want to do something different this year. We realize that we will be arriving at the beginning of Ramadan so don't know how that will affect our choices. Any advice is welcome!

Thank you for this info on the HI Express. We stay in a bunch of IHG Hotels so this is a nice option, we might be able to get free nights. Did you decide what you will do on your days in Dubai? Also how was the Burj Kalifa? Is it crowded? Did you get to the very top? Is it worth going?

You will be on your way in days! Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2023 at 10:12 PM, VisionaryJax said:

Thank you for this info on the HI Express. We stay in a bunch of IHG Hotels so this is a nice option, we might be able to get free nights. Did you decide what you will do on your days in Dubai? Also how was the Burj Kalifa? Is it crowded? Did you get to the very top? Is it worth going?

You will be on your way in days! Have fun!

We stayed at the Anantara Downtown Dubai at the Business area of Dubai - getting to the metro without luggage is doable when its not that warm. I have a bunce of resources from our trip / cruise to Dubai including on Burj Khalifa if this helps including what we did in 2 days 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Much good information, especially from Jayayeff. My own experience: I've done 4 repositionings from Dubai back to Italy, I arrive several days early due to the time change. The urban sprawl and traffic remind me of a US city. Dubai can get expensive if you're not careful. The Marina terminal is on the opposite side of the city from the airport, an expensive area and not close to anything (the tram is not too far away). Taxis get expensive because of distance. HOHO bus for 2 days would be efficient, although not cheap. Metro is crowded at rush hour. Shuts down at midnite, many flights arrive after that.

I've stayed in the Deira and Bur Juman areas, three star hotels I found quite comfortable. Many hotels say they're on a main street but are actually on a side street. Very confusing, many streets are numbered but seemingly at random. My last trip the taxi driver couldn't find the hotel because it was on a side street, but I had printed a map from the Metro station, so the station was all I needed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dancer Bob said:

Much good information, especially from Jayayeff. My own experience: I've done 4 repositionings from Dubai back to Italy, I arrive several days early due to the time change. The urban sprawl and traffic remind me of a US city. Dubai can get expensive if you're not careful. The Marina terminal is on the opposite side of the city from the airport, an expensive area and not close to anything (the tram is not too far away). Taxis get expensive because of distance. HOHO bus for 2 days would be efficient, although not cheap. Metro is crowded at rush hour. Shuts down at midnite, many flights arrive after that.

I've stayed in the Deira and Bur Juman areas, three star hotels I found quite comfortable. Many hotels say they're on a main street but are actually on a side street. Very confusing, many streets are numbered but seemingly at random. My last trip the taxi driver couldn't find the hotel because it was on a side street, but I had printed a map from the Metro station, so the station was all I needed.

Can you recommend a hotel close to the Mall and close to restaurants?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2023 at 10:19 PM, alpencoolcruiser said:

We stayed at the Anantara Downtown Dubai at the Business area of Dubai - getting to the metro without luggage is doable when its not that warm. I have a bunce of resources from our trip / cruise to Dubai including on Burj Khalifa if this helps including what we did in 2 days

Thank you for this!

• Like 1