Insurance Help

junglecat

Does anyone have any suggestions on insurance coverage?  We've always bought insurance from an outside source rather than with Carnival but for some reason this has become so confusing and stressful this time around.  Any thoughts on how much coverage to get for evacuation?   Right now two of my biggest fears are airline cancellation and Indiana weather!  We don't land in Miami until 11:30 the night before.  If we are cancelled the flights out of Indy to Miami would be non existent in the evening hours.  To add Indiana weather to that mix is stressing me out.  Due to our work schedule this was THE only flight we could make "the day before."  To add to this, we'll only need a hotel for a few hours and finding something reasonable is insane.  We may just stay in the airport and uber to the port.  All support and help is greatly appreciated!  

43 minutes ago, junglecat said:

Does anyone have any suggestions on insurance coverage?  We've always bought insurance from an outside source rather than with Carnival but for some reason this has become so confusing and stressful this time around.  Any thoughts on how much coverage to get for evacuation?   Right now two of my biggest fears are airline cancellation and Indiana weather!  We don't land in Miami until 11:30 the night before.  If we are cancelled the flights out of Indy to Miami would be non existent in the evening hours.  To add Indiana weather to that mix is stressing me out.  Due to our work schedule this was THE only flight we could make "the day before."  To add to this, we'll only need a hotel for a few hours and finding something reasonable is insane.  We may just stay in the airport and uber to the port.  All support and help is greatly appreciated!  

Lots of good info to peruse on the Cruise/Travel Insurance forum..

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

• Like 1

First, evacuation coverage means hospital-to hospital transfer if you need a higher level of care. It does not necessarily mean that it returns you home directly. Most often you are treated in country and are flown home by commercial air when you are able to travel.

It does not mean air/sea rescue. That service is provided by coast guard/navy/ appropriate branch of the military from the nearest country capable of providing it. There is no charge. Your cost begins (and insurance coverage) when the helicopter lands.

Many policies offer $50,000 in evacuation coverage, but there are just as many with higher levels. It depends on cost and what makes you comfortable.

If you are worried about air cancellations, make sure your policy has a Missed Connections clause with language that says it will reimburse for unused portion of the trip if you are delayed beyond departure.

The surest bet is to call Steve or one of his associates at Trip Insurance Store. Many on CC recommend him. Express your concerns and let them help you find the right policy for your needs.

Don’t worry that it costs more to buy it from them.  In third-party insurance, cost is determined by age, amount insured, length of trip, and levels of coverage. It would cost the same anywhere because it is regulated by the states.

re: your question about how much coverage,  I usually buy from squaremouth.com.  Their site states:

"When buying travel insurance for a cruise, Squaremouth recommends at least $100,000 in medical and $250,000 in medical evacuation benefits."

They have a "Cruise Filter" that filters out policies that don't meet this criteria.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

10 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Did you look at flights to Fort Lauderdale? Hotels are cheaper.

Yes.  We've always flown into FLL when we've cruise out of Miami in the past for that reason.  Southwest was having a sale and it was cheaper to fly into Miami so that's what we did.  

Now to throw another monkey wrench into the situation. 

Has anyone with a Carnival Mastercard used the travel insurance that comes with the card?  DH discovered today that since we paid for the cruise with the Carnival MC it has travel insurance.  But. . . . is it good insurance and will we be ok to just use that?  I downloaded the information and it's like a gazillion pages.  DH called and the representative was very hard to understand.  I did find a great policy on Squaremouth so whomever recommend that, THANK YOU!  

1 hour ago, junglecat said:

Now to throw another monkey wrench into the situation. 

Has anyone with a Carnival Mastercard used the travel insurance that comes with the card?  DH discovered today that since we paid for the cruise with the Carnival MC it has travel insurance.  But. . . . is it good insurance and will we be ok to just use that?  I downloaded the information and it's like a gazillion pages.  DH called and the representative was very hard to understand.  I did find a great policy on Squaremouth so whomever recommend that, THANK YOU!  

Unless the Carnival card offers something more than other World Mastercards, it appears you’ll have $1,500 per trip in cancellation benefits. As with most credit card travel benefits, cancellations caused by pre-existing conditions are not covered. There are other restrictions as well listed in all those pages you downloaded. Scan through until you find the section for travel. I think you’ll find it is not adequate to serve as your only coverage, especially since there is no medical.