Back from Beyond

mfs2k

19 hours ago, Cruisellama said:

Question - We're sailing Beyond in March (Sky Suite), we noticed on the APP that lunch menus are not being published for Luminae for sea days.    Is Luminae open for lunch on embarkation day and sea days?  Curious if that's a change from previous ships and sailings.

Luminae is open for lunch on debarkation day.  I'm pretty sure it's closed on other days for lunch, but now I don't remember 100%

• Thanks 1

On 12/5/2022 at 7:35 AM, Lillibet16 said:

I agree with you to some extent. People who don’t really need them make it hard for us that do. But how do you know? I have a service dog because I am prone to passing it out and she can tell before I do and let me know, in which case I sit down and take my medicine. But you would never know to look at me that anything was wrong until something happened, so I try not to judge. Personally,  I can’t see bringing my dog on a cruise, but I have taken her to Las Vegas and other destinations. I just try to be extra careful when traveling without her, but it is a risk and I have broken many bones passing out unexpectedly. 

You are right, it is hard to tell about who really needs the animal and who doesn't. That does make it hard. But when people bring support squirrels, snakes, exotic birds on board, I think that goes too far. I totally get bringing on assistance animals to help with medical conditions, sight problems or issues like that, but these exotic creatures go too far, and I have seen these exotics on board on other cruises.  

20 hours ago, mfs2k said:

Luminae is open for lunch on debarkation day.  I'm pretty sure it's closed on other days for lunch, but now I don't remember 100%

We just got back from a Thanksgiving cruise on Beyond. Luminae was open for lunch on embarkation day and on sea days. In fact, it was open for lunch every day of our cruise. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2022 at 10:03 AM, riredsox said:

You have no idea why they need their dogs.  Some detect a seizure coming on or any other health related issues.  I talked to both the people that had the dogs and both seemed like they needed them.  The larger one was in training.  

On our beyond cruise last week there were two tiny dogs always kept in a baby carriage, they were in the retreat area and Luminae also, one lady who followed them into Luminae told hostess not to sit them anywhere close to the dogs . 

On 12/6/2022 at 11:52 AM, VMI72 said:

You are right, it is hard to tell about who really needs the animal and who doesn't. That does make it hard. But when people bring support squirrels, snakes, exotic birds on board, I think that goes too far. I totally get bringing on assistance animals to help with medical conditions, sight problems or issues like that, but these exotic creatures go too far, and I have seen these exotics on board on other cruises.  

Ewww who would find a snake comforting 

and getting past security too

On 12/6/2022 at 11:10 AM, George C said:

Luminae is always open on sea days , nice thing now is outdoor retreat is open on port days but very small menu.

That's what I'm used to.  But the APP is only showing a Dinner and Drink menu for Luminae.  Normally lunch is also published on the APP.  As it's not published, it planted the seed of doubt.

4 minutes ago, Cruisellama said:

That's what I'm used to.  But the APP is only showing a Dinner and Drink menu for Luminae.  Normally lunch is also published on the APP.  As it's not published, it planted the seed of doubt.

I believe my wife also had issues with APP, lunch menu wasn’t as good as we had on Edge last year, still had the lobster roll on embarkation lunch .

• Thanks 1

Speaking of lunch at Luminae, has anyone else been solicited to purchase a wine corkscrew opener while in the dining room?  We were having a relaxing lunch on Edge in April, but just as our main couse was placed on the table we were interrupted by a sommelier wanting to sell us a wine opener.  We had not even ordered wine.  It was very awkward and unexpected.  We did find the food to be fresher and hotter than at dinner.

On the Retreat deck, we found we had to retrieve the food ourselves from the bar as the servers told us they will not bring the food from the outdoor Retreat Bar to other places on the Retreat sundeck despite the few tables being taken.  

No one that we spoke with at the time was able to clarify whether the solicitation for the wine opener, or the refusal to deliver food that was ordered was a standard operating procedure, endorsed by management and part of training, or an anomaly.  

7 minutes ago, Cap_D said:

Speaking of lunch at Luminae, has anyone else been solicited to purchase a wine corkscrew opener while in the dining room?  We were having a relaxing lunch on Edge in April, but just as our main couse was placed on the table we were interrupted by a sommelier wanting to sell us a wine opener.  We had not even ordered wine.  It was very awkward and unexpected.  We did find the food to be fresher and hotter than at dinner.

On the Retreat deck, we found we had to retrieve the food ourselves from the bar as the servers told us they will not bring the food from the outdoor Retreat Bar to other places on the Retreat sundeck despite the few tables being taken.  

No one that we spoke with at the time was able to clarify whether the solicitation for the wine opener, or the refusal to deliver food that was ordered was a standard operating procedure, endorsed by management and part of training, or an anomaly.  

Not seen corkscrews offered.  Maybe it was a side-gig, selling off Luminae merchandize ;).  We have had things sold at a "Chef's table".   We purchased a wine aerator a few years ago.   As far as the Retreat deck (and lounge).   Although we think it's a nice space, service isn't the same model as the old Michaels club.  As you note, far too much "self service".   On Apex last month, the Retreat deck staff lost my order.   Waited about an hour before getting my burger (that was cold by that time).  It was a port day, and elected to stay at the Retreat area which failed on the service side that day.  If I recall, many have happened on Edge also prior to shutdown.

30 minutes ago, Cap_D said:

Nobody offered us corkscrew either, on same subject , did anyone else get hassled for bringing on 4 bottles of wine? We read that was allowed and we were told limit was 2, eventually we were allowed all 4 . Nice that they no longer charge 25 for a corkage fee.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2022 at 11:55 AM, VMI72 said:

We just got back from a Thanksgiving cruise on Beyond. Luminae was open for lunch on embarkation day and on sea days. In fact, it was open for lunch every day of our cruise. 🙂

You are quite mistaken ! We were on the Thanksgiving Beyond cruise Nov 20-27, 2022. Luminae was closed every port day, except embarkation day (had the Cobb salad with the Neuske bacon). We dined breakfast, lunch and dinner in Luminae. Since we no longer bother to get off the ship (Celebrity has no private out island) we had to search for alternative places to eat on board ( we do not eat in self serve buffets). These are two aspects of Celebrity ships that we have to take into consideration before booking future cruises on Celebrity.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2022 at 12:14 PM, George C said:

On our beyond cruise last week there were two tiny dogs always kept in a baby carriage, they were in the retreat area and Luminae also, one lady who followed them into Luminae told hostess not to sit them anywhere close to the dogs . 

Your post prompted me to check cruise line policies on animals on board. It appears most all allow them, too bad they also appear in dining venues as well. There are only 3 cruise lines listed that do not allow pets on board, Silverseas, Seacloud Cruises, and Hapag Lloyd.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

You are quite mistaken ! We were on the Thanksgiving Beyond cruise Nov 20-27, 2022. Luminae was closed every port day, except embarkation day (had the Cobb salad with the Neuske bacon). We dined breakfast, lunch and dinner in Luminae. Since we no longer bother to get off the ship (Celebrity has no private out island) we had to search for alternative places to eat on board ( we do not eat in self serve buffets). These are two aspects of Celebrity ships that we have to take into consideration before booking future cruises on Celebrity.

We have been to coco cay and ladabee on celebrity cruises, I didn’t get off at coco cay since they have no suite beach. I know this is not common. Best suite beach we have been to was MSc yacht club, great lunch with waiters and great lunch . We thought retreat was good for lunch on port days but very small menu , another negative is they didn’t list everything you could order on menu, same thing on Luminae they have hidden things that waiter may or may not remind you of. Next cruise is on summit, terrible retreat area but we have royal suite so free specialty and really prefer there Luminae.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, George C said:

another negative is they didn’t list everything you could order on menu, same thing on Luminae they have hidden things that waiter may or may not remind you of.

Wouldn't really ask for anything not listed on the menu, as we really do not know where they are traipsing to get it from. We witnessed our Luminae sommelier during dinner hours retrieving some item requested by a Luminae guest in the Oceanview Cafe.

Guest 4-2-N-8
9 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Wouldn't really ask for anything not listed on the menu, as we really do not know where they are traipsing to get it from. We witnessed our Luminae sommelier during dinner hours retrieving some item requested by a Luminae guest in the Oceanview Cafe.

Can I get a witness?!

On 12/8/2022 at 4:56 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

I share your position.  Luminae is one of the reasons we book that class.   I found Eden's Cafe to be a decent place to catch a meal for lunch in the event Luminae isn't open.  I understand the port day closures (don't like it), but its needed for sea days.

Edited by Cruisellama
  • Thanks 1

On 12/10/2022 at 11:50 AM, Cruisellama said:

I share your position.  Luminae is one of the reasons we book that class.   I found Eden's Cafe to be a decent place to catch a meal for lunch in the event Luminae isn't open.  I understand the port day closures (don't like it), but its needed for sea days.

Why do they close for lunch on port days ?  Do they not realize people stay on the ship ? Let me guess…..to give the crew a rest?  Are we not paying enough for the service?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cruise_Ship_Vacations said:

Let me guess…..to give the crew a rest?  Are we not paying enough for the service?  

That was our guess as well until we found our waiter and sommelier positioned at the SPA Cafe for lunch duty on port day and our assistant waiter was scooping ice cream during lunch at the Oceanview Cafe buffet. So no time off.

Edited by morpheusofthesea

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

That was our guess as well until we found our waiter and sommelier positioned at the SPA Cafe for lunch duty on port day and our assistant waiter was scooping ice cream during lunch at the Oceanview Cafe buffet. So no time off.

It's all about the amount of guests potentially utilizing the venue. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cruise_Ship_Vacations said:

Why do they close for lunch on port days ?  Do they not realize people stay on the ship ? Let me guess…..to give the crew a rest?  Are we not paying enough for the service?  

I prefer Luminae over rccl costal kitchen there suite restaurant, only advantage in CK is there open for lunch every day.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, George C said:

I prefer Luminae over rccl costal kitchen there suite restaurant, only advantage in CK is there open for lunch every day.

We as well prefer the Luminae on the Edge and Equinox better for the food than either the Beyond or the Coastal Kitchen. Service was great in every Luminae. BUT, we have had time to reflect since our Thanksgiving cruise on the Beyond and can say we would not hesitate to rebook the Edge not the Beyond. DW admitted to me only just today that the chicken made her ill every night, a standing order of a grilled chicken breast for dinner. I only got ill once on the chicken in the Chicken/Brie croissant (with no brie) at Le Bistro on a port day. So we are returning to MSC for this month and next year as well, with an always open Yacht Club Restaurant (except for Ocean Cay Day).

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

We as well prefer the Luminae on the Edge and Equinox better for the food than either the Beyond or the Coastal Kitchen. Service was great in every Luminae. BUT, we have had time to reflect since our Thanksgiving cruise on the Beyond and can say we would not hesitate to rebook the Edge not the Beyond. DW admitted to me only just today that the chicken made her ill every night, a standing order of a grilled chicken breast for dinner. I only got ill once on the chicken in the Chicken/Brie croissant (with no brie) at Le Bistro on a port day. So we are returning to MSC for this month and next year as well, with an always open Yacht Club Restaurant (except for Ocean Cay Day).

Totally agree Edge Luminae was far superior to beyond, we done several sailing on M class and always loved there Luminae including on summit in February and we have summit booked for March also. I haven’t experienced S class Luminae yet , my one sailing was before it had Luminae and Michaels, we are in royal suites on our summit cruise would like to try that on S class to get that extra half of a bathroom, which M class doesn’t have.

On 12/12/2022 at 3:49 PM, George C said:

Totally agree Edge Luminae was far superior to beyond, we done several sailing on M class and always loved there Luminae including on summit in February and we have summit booked for March also. I haven’t experienced S class Luminae yet , my one sailing was before it had Luminae and Michaels, we are in royal suites on our summit cruise would like to try that on S class to get that extra half of a bathroom, which M class doesn’t have.

S-class is a definite improvement.  While we've enjoyed M-class in the past, the IMO, the Revolution upgrades were not comprehensive enough across the dining venues.  Still a lot of "vintage" furniture / carpets so a mixed bag.

• Like 1