If we have to chose a port to skip-, which would you recommend (Princess British Isles)

RNCheryl

Our Regal cruise is next August.  My husband is generally pretty energetic, but we usually build in rest periods when traveling.  I think he might need a day or two "off" on the cruise.

Ports are Guernsey, Cork (Cobh), Dublin (Dun Laoghair), Belfast, Glasgow (Greenock), orkeny Islands, Invergordon, Edinburgh and Le Harve.

Must sees are Guernsey, Dublin, Edinburgh and Orkney Islands.  I would like to see some highland scenery and a castle or two.  Le Harve will be low key.

Welcome suggestions from those familiar with these ports.

• Like 1

Well, Cobh can be as simple as walking off the ship and taking a leisurely walk around town and perhaps visit the Titanic Experience and Heritage Center museums.  It’s a nice town for that.   I wouldn’t stay on the ship, but you take it nice and easy. 

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1

if your husband was in the military I think he would be interested in the tour that goes to the Normandy Landing Beaches.  This is on your last port day.  It is a 10 hour trip, but my husband did it when he had mobility issues and he was very touched by being there.  

I'm doing this same cruise next June with my adult children and their spouses and they choose to go to  Paris, which is fine with me. Again this is a 10 hour bus trip, but not much walking.

Have a great time.  I know I'm hoping to enjoy this cruise with my kids.  It will be my first cruise since my husband passed so the memories will be bittersweet.

Thanks

gunnywife, we did a full day tour of the Landing Beaches and the Colleville sur Mer cemetery as a day trip from Paris.  I recommend it highly.

Me Heart Cruising, which would you rate higher:  Greenock or Invergordon?  Will take your suggestion about Cobh.

4 hours ago, RNCheryl said:

Thanks

gunnywife, we did a full day tour of the Landing Beaches and the Colleville sur Mer cemetery as a day trip from Paris.  I recommend it highly.

Me Heart Cruising, which would you rate higher:  Greenock or Invergordon?  Will take your suggestion about Cobh.

I have not stopped in Greenock, so I can't offer comment.  

I will say that my stop in Invergordon was the most enjoyable one I had while on my recent British Isles cruise.  However, my stop in Edinburgh was cancelled due to services for the the death of the Queen.  For Invergordon, I booked an excursion through a company named Thistle Tours that visited the Culloden Battlefield, Inverness (for lunch), Loch Ness, Urquart Castle (very cool), and a few other stops.  It was a full day and very interesting.  I even lucked out and was put in a private car tour with only 2 other people and the guide, even though I didn't pay for such a small group.  Invergordon is the gateway to the Highlands and the Highlands are a beautiful part of Scotland and I would definitely look for a full-day tour that meets your interests if possible. 

Edited by MeHeartCruising

51 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

For Invergordon, I booked an excursion through a company named Thistle Tours that visited the Culloden Battlefield, Inverness (for lunch), Loch Ness, Urquart Castle (very cool), and a few other stops.  It was a full day and very interesting.  I even lucked out and was put in a private car tour with only 2 other people and the guide, even though I didn't pay for such a small group.  Invergordon is the gateway to the Highlands and the Highlands are a beautiful part of Scotland and I would definitely look for a full-day tour that meets your interests if possible. 

We recently returned from a 3-week land tour in the UK that included four days in the Highlands, with Inverness as our jumping off point.  Among other things, we visited the Battlefield of Culloden, which we loved.  (It is quite fascinating if you, like we, are at all interested in the history.)  We drove the length of Loch Ness, and we saw Urquhart Castle from afar, but did not have time to visit; I'll bet it would have been terrific. And more scenic driving and stops. The Highlands are gorgeous.  (I've been there before.)

@RNCherylI second the advice to book a full day tour in the Highlands if you are in Invergordon.  (And you are certainly correct to have Edinburgh in your must see list of ports.) 

Enjoy your cruise!