Formal night dress ? - ladies - Caribbean

redrobin

Asked the following question on the latest formal dress thread. Since I did not get any responses, I decided to start a new thread. Not looking to continue debate, just facts please. Hoping someone will respond. Thanks!

On my last Princess cruise to Alaska, I wore long gowns on both formal nights. The majoritiy of ladies also did, with some in cocktail dresses and a few others dressed more casually.

On my upcoming 7 day cruise on the Star, was wondering if I'd be in the minority wearing a long gown since I've read the Caribbean tends to have a more casual atmosphere. Not that that would preclude me from wearing them, but was debating whether I want to take cocktail dresses instead. What's been your experience on similar cruises? Thanks!

On the Caribbean Princess we saw both long gowns and cocktail dresses. I wore a gown the first night and a cocktail dress the second and felt comfortable both nights. If you're traveling during school holiday time I think you'll see less formal dress otherwise you'll see both.

edna

In general, as an overall broad brush statement, Caribbean formal is a bit less dressy than Alaska. However, you will still see long gowns as well as cocktail dresses. Its up to you; take what you really want to wear and you will be just fine. Will you be in the minority? Maybe, maybe not. Nobody is counting long gowns vs. cocktail dresses. (They are WAY too busy looking for jeans--sorry could not resist.) ;)

I was on the Carribean Princess 2/11 to 2/18. My formal dress was in the piece of luggage that got lost during embarkment. Thank goodness I had a cocktail dress with me that is black and perfect for dress-up or for cocktails.

My husband's suit was in with my formal and is lost as well. So he wore a sports jacket, tie and dress pants and still looked great.

Really wear what makes you feel good.

I have been to the Caribbean numerous times including on the Star and have always seen a huge variety of styles. People wear what they own and what they are comfortable in and I have seen the dressiest of long gowns to short cocktail dresses to simple dresses that aren't dressy at alll. The men wear both dark suits and tuxes and also I have seen some in sports jackets even on formal night. Sometimes I wear a black cocktail dress and sometimes I wear long black palazzo pants with a shiny tank top. Myhusband always rents a tux to avoid having to pack something.

Thanks ladies, very helpful replies! I have a few of each and will try them on and go with what looks and fits best. I was actually doing pretty well on preventing that mid-life weight gain prior to my first cruise. However, I must admit that that cruise did sidetrack both my eating habits and my exercise routine for awhile. I'll have to be more vigilant following this one!Otherwise, I'll have to stop cruising at some point if I go up a size after each one I take! :)

Oh how true. I bought 2 new cocktail dresses for my first cruise last year. It was on Hal so I thought well I will just wear them on Princess. Well they don't fit. Shame on me for all that good eating.:p To chime in it was the same on Hal alittle bit of this and a little bit of that.

I have to admit it was very nice seeing a family with 5 children all dressed up and very well mannered. It looked like a family coming from church.The children were ages 2,3,4,6 and 7. They were alot more well behaved than some of the adults. It was so refreshing. I asked the Mom their ages before we left and commented that I don't think my grandchildren at that age would have been that nice.

That was kind of off the the subject of this thread, however, it just brought back a very nice memory that I wanted to share.

Happy cruising

Cathy p:)

That is a nice memory Cathy P. I always admire the kids all dressed up for their formal night. They always look so cute and are usually well behaved when dressed up. They always look so cute having their photos taken too. I'm also glad I can admire them and walk away cause they aren't mine! No insult meant to those with children.

Good afternoon, lovely ladies.

Most of what I would contribute here has already been said. I would simply like to add that most people really dress up on the first formal night, while the second formal night may appear to be not as dressy.

Kind of like bringing out the finest wine the first night, and save the less expensive bottle for the second formal evening...;)

Bon Voyage!

Chris

Archived