Viking Silver Spirts Beverage Package

Freddy_Rules

My wife and I are taking a Viking River Christmas Markets Cruise on the Rhine. I'm wondering about purchasing the Silver Spirts Beverage Package. Mainly, we drink wine and sometimes beer. The Silver Spirits Package seems pretty reasonable. Still, I was wondering with the beer and wine included during meals if we need the package. I'm sure we would like to have a glass of wine in the evening. I was thinking I would pick up some different bottles while at port for us to drink and try. I guess I'm trying to get a sense of how reasonable that sounds. I'm assuming -- maybe wrongly -- that there are probably plenty of places near the ship to pick up wine while docked. Then, I started wondering if that was just too much of hassle and it would be easier to just purchase the Silver Beverage Package. Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

Viking are giving away free Silver Spirits packages with river cruises at present. 

I'd contact them and ask for them to add it to your trip.

Otherwise I'd not bother as the included drinks are good. Ask for a top-up at the end of dinner and you've got a drink to take away with you to start the evening. Then just pay as you go for other drinks as you'd need to be a big drinker to cover the cost of the package.

There'll be plenty of opportunity to buy local drinks at the Christmas markets.

The Silver Spirits Beverage Package IS very reasonable when compared to other cruise lines (some "clock in" at more than $100 per person per day!).  That said, if you are okay with the free wine they serve with lunch and dinner (there are also often mimosa "fixins'" available at breakfast) then you probably don't need to bother with the package.  The drinks on Viking ships are reasonable as well ... even a glass of "premium" wine won't set you back much if you want one before dinner ... and pittcity is right ... they will happily top off your wine glass as you leave after dinner!  

Edited by molymoo

I've never bought the SSP,  but was given it on our cruise earlier this year, and it's included in 2023 cruises.

You say you have

13 hours ago, Freddy_Rules said:

a glass of wine

in the evening. If it's just one glass and only in the evening it's definitely not worth it. Remember both of you have to purchase the package for every night you are on board.

The house wines - red, white & rose are good and there's plenty of it, they'll just keep refilling your glass at lunch and dinner.

What you get with SSP is to choose from the wine list, but not all wines are available on SSP, there's a cut off based it seems on price. And on the cruise we were on, one of the popular wines had run out.

You can buy bottles in wine shops and supermarkets ashore and have them on board for zero-corkage

If you are undecided, as your post would suggest, why not wait till you are on board. Ask to see the winelist on that boat on the first day when you arrive, look for the asterisks against the wines not included in SSP and look at the prices of bottles you may be interested in. And then - if you think it's worth it - buy the SSP on board

Has anyone had any experience with cancelling a SSP bought before the cruise?  We're also rethinking whether we need it on our Christmas market cruise, our first with Viking.  (I think the free SSP is only for guests from the UK--I don't see it as an offer for those of us in the United States.)