magnifica not coming to miami

UPNYGuy

heads up to all of those booked on the magnifica. the cruises sailing out of Miami are cancelled. I received an email from MSC yesterday. Looks like the ship is being redeployed elsewhere (as per the email).

Edited by UPNYGuy

Sad for the ones already booked, but I'm not particularly surprised on this outcome. Just by reading these CC MSC boards, it seems pretty clear that MSC is currently filling their ships mostly from the UK, Brasil, Germany and Spain, even more than from Italy or elsewhere, and they're far from full capacity on the ships that are there on the US. I know they have plans for the MSC world America to go to Miami, but again: Their new terminal is under construction, and they'll need more time living up from likely less than stellar temporary terminals. TBHH; I'd like to see the Magnifica redeployed to Alaska... But that won't probably happen. They'll just to redeploy her for Southampton, Barcelona or elsewhere. Good if they had my own Lisbon as an option, but I don't believe so whatsoever. Have a nice day!...

• Like 2

Nuna ... I don't see Magnifica coming to the UK because Virtuosa is sailing from Southampton and at a later date replaced by Grandiosa. A different port such as Liverpool might be an option but I doubt it, MSC need to stop messing people around. Alaska could be a good move but I doubt it would happen unless it is one of the LNG ships such as the new YC ship.

33 minutes ago, sidari said:

Nuna ... I don't see Magnifica coming to the UK because Virtuosa is sailing from Southampton and at a later date replaced by Grandiosa. A different port such as Liverpool might be an option but I doubt it, MSC need to stop messing people around. Alaska could be a good move but I doubt it would happen unless it is one of the LNG ships such as the new YC ship.

Explora will definitely go to Alaska ASAP, if there aren't more delays on Fincantieri's part. I don't know how busy is Southampton next year, but I'm sure, if they can snag a new slot, even if the oddest, less desirable one, they won't last the opportunity!... Simply they can now to fill her there!... What is my summer dream itinerary for a ship like the Magnifica? Think something on the likes of "Lisbon (Portugal)-Sea day-Funchal (Madeira, Portugal)-Sea day-Ponta Delgada (Azores, Portugal)-2 sea days-Vigo (Spain)-Lisbon (Portugal) for the regular weeklong experience... But the combined Spanish and Portuguese markets alike seems very small for the adventure to come true!...

And yeah! I'm not understanding this ever day messing up ships on MSC's part. What part of that business is not going well, if their cargo ship venture that is financing most of the cruising venture seems to be so well oiled out?... It seems we have (sadly!) very interesting times ahead to discuss here in CC...

Edited by Nunagoras

5 hours ago, sidari said:

MSC need to stop messing people around.

DW and I are pretty much done with MSC until this shakes itself out. I have had multiple changes and cancellations from them (even before covid) due to them repositioning ships. One was Armonia going to Tampa, than it wasnt, now the Magnifica. And I seem to recall one on Preziosa that was cancelled because the ship was replaced with Poesia (or vice versa). 

We love the product and the staff, but I cannot play roulette ships and not be certain. I usually have a plan B, but I book a cruise on MSC for a reason. We *will* be back with them, but it might be a bit at this point. 

• Like 2

It is a double edged sword for MSC because this is going to give those that tried them on a whim a second guess about booking on them in the future if the ship redeployments continue, but at the same time they need to move assets to where they will produce revenue.

14 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

Explora will definitely go to Alaska ASAP, if there aren't more delays on Fincantieri's part. I don't know how busy is Southampton next year, but I'm sure, if they can snag a new slot, even if the oddest, less desirable one, they won't last the opportunity!... Simply they can now to fill her there!... What is my summer dream itinerary for a ship like the Magnifica? Think something on the likes of "Lisbon (Portugal)-Sea day-Funchal (Madeira, Portugal)-Sea day-Ponta Delgada (Azores, Portugal)-2 sea days-Vigo (Spain)-Lisbon (Portugal) for the regular weeklong experience... But the combined Spanish and Portuguese markets alike seems very small for the adventure to come true!...

And yeah! I'm not understanding this ever day messing up ships on MSC's part. What part of that business is not going well, if their cargo ship venture that is financing most of the cruising venture seems to be so well oiled out?... It seems we have (sadly!) very interesting times ahead to discuss here in CC...

Nuna ... The delays to Explora it seems is down to changes by MSC and not the shipyard, to quote a friend he says it is "a nightmare"

2 hours ago, sidari said:

Nuna ... The delays to Explora it seems is down to changes by MSC and not the shipyard, to quote a friend he says it is "a nightmare"

It may be an MSC's "nightmare", but Fincantieri is making delays to all clients due to supply chain constraints right now. NCL just today announced such an year delay on their Prima+ class justified on such Fincantieri's inability to build on time. While MSC is Italian, no way for me to think it is different from NCL's perspective... Sadly, pretty much everything is experiencing those constraints right now on our worldwide society...

40 minutes ago, Nunagoras said:

It may be an MSC's "nightmare", but Fincantieri is making delays to all clients due to supply chain constraints right now. NCL just today announced such an year delay on their Prima+ class justified on such Fincantieri's inability to build on time. While MSC is Italian, no way for me to think it is different from NCL's perspective... Sadly, pretty much everything is experiencing those constraints right now on our worldwide society...

Cunard's new Queen Anne is also being delayed from reports.

• Thanks 1

The Magnifica does not have a "yacht club" and its an older ship with small capacity so I am not surprised they are keeping it away from the east coast USA. MSC seems to be holding their own in the cruise market out of Miami and Canaveral so it makes sense to bring in the larger capacity ships that are more up to date.

1 hour ago, TwoAdriftAtSea said:

The Magnifica does not have a "yacht club" and its an older ship with small capacity so I am not surprised they are keeping it away from the east coast USA. MSC seems to be holding their own in the cruise market out of Miami and Canaveral so it makes sense to bring in the larger capacity ships that are more up to date.

Not all "older" ships are lower quality ones. While certainly no YC, and Musica class, the Magnifica is actually a class of its own ship with 13 years old, fully refurbished in 2018-19, pretty much up to standards for mainstream cruising industry. Simply she sports a retractable roof on one of the pools, making her appropriate for less than stellar climates. MSC may use her on the Nordic seas, Alaska or elsewhere where a covered pool may be a selling point, and the US is not MSC's top market at the moment, nor a covered pool is a selling point there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TwoAdriftAtSea said:

Armonia didn't have YC but did well on its sailings out of Miami after moving from Cuba, Poesia and Orchestra also did well despite not having YC. Not everyone needs or wants YC cabins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidari said:

Armonia didn't have YC but did well on its sailings out of Miami after moving from Cuba, Poesia and Orchestra also did well despite not having YC. Not everyone needs or wants YC cabins.

I agree 100% with not everyone needs YC cabins, currently in one and would never choose it again. Obviously they have a larger demand for cabins hence the smaller older ships moving away being replaced by the larger capacity ships. I think the market out of S.Florida is strong for MSC or would like to hope so anyways as its our current favorite cruise line. 

23 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

May I ask why?  

I guess we are low maintenance cruisers that don't drink alcohol and don't need much hand holding. Weve been aboard the Divina for 6 days, we've eaten 3 breakfasts and two lunches in Le Muse, the dinner menus have not appealed to us to date so its buffet which is always consistently good or butchers cut. The YC staff are tremendous I just dont see the value vs cost.  My wife said walking into the top sail lounge in the evening is like walking into a funeral home, they do keep the finger foods stocked and are prepared to fix a drink.

We have enjoyed being walked off the ship for our excursions other than that just put me in a balcony cabin and I will be a happy cruiser. I am not knocking the YC at all it's just not our thing. 

Edited by TwoAdriftAtSea
corrections
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, TwoAdriftAtSea said:

The YC staff are tremendous I just dont see the value vs cost.  My wife said walking into the top sail lounge in the evening is like walking into a funeral home,

Thanks for your reply.  I understand your point of view.  Never thought about your wife's comment about the Top Sail Lounge, but, yes, if there isn't some music being played, it is a rather quiet lounge.  I rather like that, though, since I do spend a part of the evening in the area outside the YC, enjoying the activity and the music possibilities.  Coming back to the YC, a quiet nightcap in the Lounge is, for me, pleasant and relaxing way to end a day at sea.  

I chose MSC and YC because I was looking for a different cruise experience than what my signature shows that I have had.  I found it; I liked it; I would return.  (But, I would not disavow my other experiences, however.)  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sidari said:

This, exactly. Musica and Orchestra are great ships I went on back in the day. According to videos I'm watching both retrofitted during the pandemic (full color LED lighting on the atrium, high efficient LED lighting elsewhere, new theater equipment, LED theater scenario projector, new carpeting, some color adjustments in areas, renovated buffet area, at least some cabins fully redone, new TV's, etc.). The Armonia is becoming somewhat out of standards these days: Lack of balcony cabins, lack of attractive venues, and go on. IMHO; if MSC happens to purchase some of those Genting Capital assets (among others the in building mega ship) it would be time for MSC to roll out the old Lirica class. They're mostly on their 20 years old already, so let them to rest in peace.

Edited by Nunagoras
  • Like 1

MSC has said they don't want to sell ships, because that wouldn't only help building the competition. That would mean the plan is to use the older tonnage for at least another 10 years, and then beaching them in Turkey. In my experience even the oldest in the fleet have plenty of live left in them.

I fully agree that MSC is unreliable lately. Magnifica not going to the US is the newest on a long list of changes, leaving many would-be-passengers disappointed. This could cost them future passengers. Then again, they offer such good prices, that many people would probably choose MSC again, even when disappointed before.

I don't think the yacht club matters to much whether ships will be deployed in the US or not. 90% of the passengers aren't booking YC anyway, and YC is just as popular outside the US.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, sealynx said:

MSC has said they don't want to sell ships, because that wouldn't only help building the competition. That would mean the plan is to use the older tonnage for at least another 10 years, and then beaching them in Turkey. In my experience even the oldest in the fleet have plenty of live left in them.

I fully agree that MSC is unreliable lately. Magnifica not going to the US is the newest on a long list of changes, leaving many would-be-passengers disappointed. This could cost them future passengers. Then again, they offer such good prices, that many people would probably choose MSC again, even when disappointed before.

I don't think the yacht club matters to much whether ships will be deployed in the US or not. 90% of the passengers aren't booking YC anyway, and YC is just as popular outside the US.

Out of the whole current MSC fleet, only 4 ships in 21 - Lirica class - are reaching their 20+ years old and out of standards for current mainstream market. The oldest Musica class is 16 years old right now and all ships from her onward are truly up to par for current mainstream cruise market. That said, and unless one of those ships suffers from some severe under the hood structural problems nobody can assess apart the operational teams involved, I see no reason for them to roll out any ship. Surely the Magnifica seems now decommissioned after the world voyage in mid 2023, but I'm certain they'll to get her redeployed elsewhere.

Sure: They're not that reliable for now, at least for us, regular cruisers and regular CC members, but it would to be great to note that, so far in advance their booking numbers might to be somewhat low. Here in CC reports are that most US sailings are going on the 50%-75% occupancy rate. Perhaps no need for another ship there, occupying an odd berth/slot while they don't have a proper terminal in Miami to host more ships, let alone destinations. Growing pains, and 21st century problems, surely. But their value is there and the day they have actual conditions to deliver, I believe they'll be a great competitor in the region. For now let them to use the Magnifica where they can make a profit and deliver a service. Main European booking "wave" is from mid-February to mid-April. Perhaps they can cram another ship here now that they're reporting huge booking numbers for this, indeed lower season, despite inflation and the ongoing EU economic crisis.

Edited by Nunagoras
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nunagoras said:

Out of the whole current MSC fleet, only 4 ships in 21 - Lirica class - are reaching their 20+ years old and out of standards for current mainstream market. The oldest Musica class is 16 years old right now and all ships from her onward are truly up to par for current mainstream cruise market. That said, and unless one of those ships suffers from some severe under the hood structural problems nobody can assess apart the operational teams involved, I see no reason for them to roll out any ship. Surely the Magnifica seems now decommissioned after the world voyage in mid 2023, but I'm certain they'll to get her redeployed elsewhere.

Sure: They're not that reliable for now, at least for us, regular cruisers and regular CC members, but it would to be great to note that, so far in advance their booking numbers might to be somewhat low. Here in CC reports are that most US sailings are going on the 50%-75% occupancy rate. Perhaps no need for another ship there, occupying an odd berth/slot while they don't have a proper terminal in Miami to host more ships, let alone destinations. Growing pains, and 21st century problems, surely. But their value is there and the day they have actual conditions to deliver, I believe they'll be a great competitor in the region. For now let them to use the Magnifica where they can make a profit and deliver a service. Main European booking "wave" is from mid-February to mid-April. Perhaps they can cram another ship here now that they're reporting huge booking numbers for this, indeed lower season, despite inflation and the ongoing EU economic crisis.

Magnifica will be sailing the Med in 2023, the itinerary though leaves much to be desired.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sidari said:

Magnifica will be sailing the Med in 2023, the itinerary though leaves much to be desired.

Many thanks to the nice insider info! I can't locate the itineraries anywhere. Can you give us a glimpse of it, Sid, please?

I sailed the Poesia in September from Copenhagen to Barcelona (13 days). I was apprehensive because I had sailed into Copenhagen on the worst ship I had ever sailed, the Island Princess. It should be scrapped. However when I was within half a mile from the Poesia I could tell it was going to be very nice.

Since I really liked HAL's old ships, particularly Rotterdam and Maasdam, I decided to take a chance with older ships on other lines. The Poesia has been immaculately maintained and I look forward to sailing her again, even though she is quite different than the modern ships. No steakhouse, but there is a sushi bar. I was very pleased with my balcony room, and the staff was wonderful. Also the food was much better than what I have experienced with MSC out of Florida. I loved the itinerary, which included Germany, Belgium, Portugal and Spain.

I'll be sailing the Divina on Monday so that will be my 3rd MSC ship. What I do NOT like about MSC is their poor US itineraries. The Seashore visits St Thomas, but leaves at 2pm! There is also a call at San Juan that arrives at 5pm and leaves at 1am. Those are both very nice ports, but that is not enough time to do them justice. The Seashore also doesn't doing any overnights at Ocean Cay, which I really like. Yet the Divina and Meraviglia do.

Last year the itineraries were better. I sailed the Meraviglia to Curacao, which I love. As far as I can tell they have no plans to return there. So, I will have to look at other lines even though my onboard experiences with MSC have been very good.

• Like 2