Damajagua, option to bypass jumps?

limu1

The Damajagua Waterfall Full Experience (NCL Gem, February) looks amazing and is something my children (9, 11) would love to do.  We're a family of 4 and I'm not concerned with fitness levels for the hike but one member of our family (me) has a nasty fear of heights.  It's one of those uncontrollable ones where if I feel like I'm going to take a steep fall, I may freeze.  I looked at pictures and watched some videos of this excursion and I think it's somethin I may be able to handle if I prepare myself. I know this post reads a little strange but if I can research this excursion well enough I may want to try and do it with my family.  So, if you've done this excursion, how "bad" was it?  At every jump is there an option for stairs if I can't jump? 

• Like 1

So if I remember correctly there is generally at least a slide or jump option at all of the falls and some have a bypass completely option.  The only place I feel like you might have trouble is the big jump.  The only options are to jump or climb down a pretty long rope/wood ladder.  I am afraid of heights and I did the jump option (with lots of encouragement from my husband and the guide) because the ladder terrified me more.  I did the jumps at most of the smaller ones but did do the slide at the very last one because it felt easier mentally than the jump on that one.  We used Iguana Mama and would highly recommend them!  The guides were all very helpful and considerate.  This ended up being probably my favorite excursion of any we have done even with the heights thing!  🙂  Good luck with what ever you decide!

3 hours ago, HangryGrl said:

So if I remember correctly there is generally at least a slide or jump option at all of the falls and some have a bypass completely option.  The only place I feel like you might have trouble is the big jump.  The only options are to jump or climb down a pretty long rope/wood ladder.  I am afraid of heights and I did the jump option (with lots of encouragement from my husband and the guide) because the ladder terrified me more.  I did the jumps at most of the smaller ones but did do the slide at the very last one because it felt easier mentally than the jump on that one.  We used Iguana Mama and would highly recommend them!  The guides were all very helpful and considerate.  This ended up being probably my favorite excursion of any we have done even with the heights thing!  🙂  Good luck with what ever you decide!

Thank you so much, I appreciate your input!

I just did this in early November.  The first waterfall, the jump was about 12 feet, and there definitely was a wooden ladder you could opt to climb down.  As @HangryGrlnoted, there is a (definitely) wood ladder at the waterfall with the higher jump, and I noticed that the guides were very supportive in whatever the guests chose to do.  It was an awesome experience :-)

• Like 1

There are ladders at the bigger jumps.  But it seems to me that the ladders looked worse than the jumps.  

I don't have this fear, so, please forgive me if this question isn't appropriate.  You say "freeze" - is that the only concern?  What if I told you the guides would give the needed push?  Becuase they will if asked. They are all very good and accommodating. 

I am like you, booked this excursion for the benefit of my son who I knew would love it.  I had done something more extreme in Dominica with jumps, slides, and repelling.  I was so thankful to be done that day but also so glad I did it and lived to tell about it.  

So for the D Falls, we did the 12.  It has been a year since we were there, but I do know I was so relieved to see the ladders at the big jump falls and grateful to the Iguana Mama guides for accommodating me with all the non-jump options which included descending by slithering down the rocks on my but where there were no ladders.  

I would advise you from one person with acrophobia to another, to take one for the team and do it!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

No real swimming is required.  You will be provided life jackets.  When you jump you of course will go under but will pop right back up.  Then it will be a very short distance to doggy-paddle to get to a spot that is shallow enough to sit or stand.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...