Hotel Choices in Tokyo

foser22

I am overwhelmed with the hotel choices in Tokyo!!  We will be there for 3-4 nights prior to a cruise in October '23.  Which area is the better choice?  I am looking at hotels near the Imperial Palace or hotels near the Shinjuku Station.  Or....is there another location that is centrally located that might be better?  I know we'll have to figure out the subway no matter where we stay.  We're not big shoppers or bar/nightlife people although it would be nice to be able to walk to a few restaurants.  We're mostly interested in Japanese culture and history, although we will want to see some of the shopping districts.  I'm just curious where people have stayed and found it to be convenient.

Metro Tokyo is the largest city on Earth. The choices there for just about anything are often overwhelming. 

Hotels near the Imperial Palace will put you close to Ginza and Tokyo Station.

Hotels in Shinjuku will put you near Shinjuku Station in Tokyo’s major entertainment and shopping district.

Both locations are excellent for connections to Narita, Haneda, Yokohama, Cruise Terminals, Bullet Trains, Subways, Buses,  and Taxis.

In the Imperial Palace area, accommodations are generally more upscale and more expensive - but not always.

In Shinjuku, accommodations are generally less expensive - but not always.

In the Imperial Palace area, you are more likely to spot Japanese ladies in Kimonos, shopping in upscale shops. 

In Shinjuku, you are more likely to spot young people partying in clubs and bars.

Imperial Palace area and Shinjuku are only 10 to 15 minutes apart by taxi or train. 

Either location will be easy and fun.

Edited by BruceMuzz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2022 at 3:21 PM, BruceMuzz said:

Imperial Palace area and Shinjuku are only 10 to 15 minutes apart by taxi or train. 

Either location will be easy and fun.

Thanks so much!  I feel like I should just close my eyes and pick🤣.  We'll probably be happy in either place.  I usually like to walk out of the hotel and be able to walk to some of the places we're interested in seeing.  That seems virtually impossible in Tokyo, since there's so much scattered all over the place.  Although, it's nice to  get back to the hotel and have choices for restaurants. 

Thanks again,