Visiting Pompeii

doones2

We saw Pompeii as part of a Rome in Limo tour which included a drive to Sorrento. The driver got us to Pompeii super quick, so we were allowed in  a few minutes before the gates opened. This was fantastic because it kept us ahead of the crowds for the whole time we were there and we were able to get amazing pictures with no crowds in the way! We were handed off to the Pompeii Guide who was so knowledgeable. Though we were just there 2hrs I think we saw and learned more then we would have on our own.

10 hours ago, cleobella said:

We saw Pompeii as part of a Rome in Limo tour which included a drive to Sorrento. The driver got us to Pompeii super quick, so we were allowed in  a few minutes before the gates opened. This was fantastic because it kept us ahead of the crowds for the whole time we were there and we were able to get amazing pictures with no crowds in the way! We were handed off to the Pompeii Guide who was so knowledgeable. Though we were just there 2hrs I think we saw and learned more then we would have on our own.

Same experience with Rome In Limo.  

On 11/12/2022 at 10:05 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Resources for visiting Pompeii on your own (or just doing advance research):

Map of the site and mini-guide (printable):  http://pompeiisites.org/en/visiting-info/map-and-guide-to-the-excavations/

Pompeii in pictures:  https://pompeiiinpictures.com/pompeiiinpictures/pompeii.htm

AD79 Eruption (photos and descriptions of all excavated parts of Pompeii and other sites destroyed in the 79 AD eruption of Vesuvius):   https://sites.google.com/site/ad79eruption/pompeii

Best book to read in advance:  https://www.amazon.com/Pompeii-Life-Roman-Mary-Beard/dp/1846684714/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2JUM3QWWGGHH1&keywords=mary+beard+pompeii&qid=1668265483&sprefix=mary+beard+pompeii%2Caps%2C117&sr=8-1

Thank you so much for posting these links. I have been trying to find a printer friendly map of Pompeii for my April 22 cruise. These are so great! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chad_O said:

Thank you so much for posting these links. I have been trying to find a printer friendly map of Pompeii for my April 22 cruise. These are so great! 

If you're interested, the definitive map is sold at the bookshop near the main entrance to Pompeii. You can stop by there as you're getting your tickets and purchase a copy. 

Once you're inside the site, sometimes it can take a while to work out the directions. Excavators have divided up the site into regions and this is the first number you'll see when looking at the address of a house or building (e.g., "Regio III, Regio VI"). They are color-coded on the map I linked.

Regios are further divided into blocks, like modern cities. They use the Latin word for block, which is "Insula" (literally means "island"), and each Insula has a cardinal number (e.g., Insula 1, Insulae 3). Those numbers are also on the printable map, in square boxes indicating each block.

You will not always find street names readily apparent. Signs are more likely to indicate the Region and Insula nunbers (e.g., Reg IV, Ins. 2).  If you wanted to find the House of Venus in the Shell, for example, it is located at Regio II, Insula 3. A large house or property might take up an entire block.

22 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

If you're interested, the definitive map is sold at the bookshop near the main entrance to Pompeii. You can stop by there as you're getting your tickets and purchase a copy. 

Once you're inside the site, sometimes it can take a while to work out the directions. Excavators have divided up the site into regions and this is the first number you'll see when looking at the address of a house or building (e.g., "Regio III, Regio VI"). They are color-coded on the map I linked.

Regios are further divided into blocks, like modern cities. They use the Latin word for block, which is "Insula" (literally means "island"), and each Insula has a cardinal number (e.g., Insula 1, Insulae 3). Those numbers are also on the printable map, in square boxes indicating each block.

You will not always find street names readily apparent. Signs are more likely to indicate the Region and Insula nunbers (e.g., Reg IV, Ins. 2).  If you wanted to find the House of Venus in the Shell, for example, it is located at Regio II, Insula 3. A large house or property might take up an entire block.

I plan on buying one there but I wanted to plan my route prior to arrival. Your map will get me started. Thank you again! 

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone and especially cruisemom42 for sharing in this thread.  

We’ll be in Naples late June with two kids under 13. We definitely want to do Pompeii and Mount Vesuvius but not looking for a whole day tour. I think we will take the train to Pompeii and explore there.  Are there taxis (or ride sharing) at Pompeii to hire to take us to Mount Vesuvius and then back to the ship?  What if we get out at Mount Vesuvius, are there transport from there down or are you typically taking the same vehicle up and down?

Does anyone know approximate cost of train/bus/taxis between these places?  Are taxis metered or are you negotiating the rates in advance?

At Pompei you would be picking up a local, metered taxi and it would wind up being very expensive.  You'd do better, if this is what you want, to arrange a transfer with a stop at Vesuvio with one of the car service companies.

There is public transport but it won't work within the limitations of a cruise port day.  The only options are the public EAV bus that goes round trip between Pompei and Vesuvio, or the private Vesuvio Express service that goes round trip between Ercolano and Vesuvio.  There is no way to switch from one to the other at Vesuvio.

Be aware that tickets for Vesuvio must now be purchased in advance, you cannot show up and buy them on site:  The Great Cono | Vesuvius National Park (parconazionaledelvesuvio.it)

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Thanks 1

I will just put in my 2 cents, having done the hike to Vesuvius twice on separate land tours. It's really NOT that interesting, especially for kids. We had a geologist accompany our group and there is a lot of fairly academic information shared about volcanic conditions, geology, monitoring etc. 

You can get some great views on a clear day (my second visit) but if it is cloudy or hazy -- which it often is -- the views are less compelling. 

This website gives a good overview of what you can see during the hike, sort of brownish gray dirt, scrubby growth, etc.:   https://www.timetravelturtle.com/hiking-mount-vesuvius-naples-italy/

Again, I don't think my son at age 12-13 would've found it very interesting...

• Thanks 1