Soda Stream Cartidges

We're sailing on Oasis in January, and stopping in Puerto Rico where we will be visiting a friend.

Does anyone know, can we bring sodastream cartidges on board? We thought we might be able to grab some for her at Target in Miami before we get on the ship, and then pass them off. We have no intention of actually using them while we're on board. We know we cannot fly with them. 

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Yup.  I don't see anything in FAQs about gas bottles except scuba, and the cruise contract also doesn't mention it.  I only commented because other folks might want to fly with it.

I looked into Sodastream for home but decided that cost plus syrup cost plus gas cost is more than buying soda in grocery.  Now if you factor in $8.99/day for two people it might make sense to buy one just for onboard use.  Catch for us is that we couldn't fly with a gas bottle and only stores I have seen the refills at are Target.

Makes me wonder - if, for medical purposes one can being on Oxygen bottles on a ship, why not those small little CO2 cartridges (if not allowed)?  Yes, I understand CO2 and oxygen are very different things.  But, neither are flammable, in and of themselves.  I'd say CO2 is/should be allowed on a cruise ship.

Just my thoughts and still wondering!

Since the OP is sailing this month, we would be interested in knowing what happened.

FYI-the xrays of checked luggage are looking primarily for weapons and banned electrical appliances not small gas cylinders so I would guess they  wouldn't even get noticed.

Edited by mac66

31 minutes ago, mac66 said:

Since the OP is sailing this month, we would be interested in knowing what happened.

FYI-the xrays of checked luggage are looking primarily for weapons and banned electrical appliances not small gas cylinders so I would guess they  wouldn't even get noticed.

Soda stream cylinders aren't that small.  Their echo on the xrays could easily flag that bag for further inspection.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Soda stream cylinders aren't that small.  Their echo on the xrays could easily flag that bag for further inspection.

Yep.  And depending on the training and policy, even if the operator doesn't have a clue what a CO2 cartridge is or looks like, it should spark interest as an unknown object(s), for further investigation.  

Having said that, I don't think we know for sure if they are banned or not.  Do we?  

21 hours ago, LeeW said:

Yup.  I don't see anything in FAQs about gas bottles except scuba, and the cruise contract also doesn't mention it.  I only commented because other folks might want to fly with it.

I looked into Sodastream for home but decided that cost plus syrup cost plus gas cost is more than buying soda in grocery.  Now if you factor in $8.99/day for two people it might make sense to buy one just for onboard use.  Catch for us is that we couldn't fly with a gas bottle and only stores I have seen the refills at are Target.

For home use, if you use the co2 cartridges it is pretty pricey.   But we use a co2 tank.   Amazon has a cable that connects the tank to the Sodastream.   You can get the tanks from Lowe's.  The price for a really large tank that lasts us many months is $25-$35ish.  Maybe the OP could mention that idea to her niece and just bring a cable?   

I had been pondering the idea for price, but the soda cans were just so darn convenient.   I had to give up nutrasweet when I discovered that I was addicted.  Anything that wasn't air or water that made me feel that crappy when I went without, couldn't have been good for me.   Getting sodas wasn't a problem, though, since Diet RC and Coke Zero both used Splenda.     Then the lockdown happened.   Diet RC disappeared and Coke Zero switched to Nutrasweet.   Everything on the soda aisle was made with either corn syrup or nutrasweet, except for Zevia which tastes bad.  Even the sugar sodas disappeared for a long time.  

So, we got the sodastream and I adore it.  I've also made some syrups.   That is still an ongoing process.  The recipes out there fall into two audiences, the super-natural where you use fruit juices and maybe stevia, or those that want to use sugar syrup.  So I modify.   One try at Diet Coke ended up tasting like a Mountain Dew and Fresca had a child.  Then I discovered that Sodastream has a Diet Orange!    Diet and Orange together and tasting good.  

We taken it on road trips using the canisters.  In the future, I'll probably just bring my syrups and buy sparkling water.  

4 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

For home use, if you use the co2 cartridges it is pretty pricey.   But we use a co2 tank.   Amazon has a cable that connects the tank to the Sodastream.   You can get the tanks from Lowe's.  The price for a really large tank that lasts us many months is $25-$35ish.  Maybe the OP could mention that idea to her niece and just bring a cable?   

I had been pondering the idea for price, but the soda cans were just so darn convenient.   I had to give up nutrasweet when I discovered that I was addicted.  Anything that wasn't air or water that made me feel that crappy when I went without, couldn't have been good for me.   Getting sodas wasn't a problem, though, since Diet RC and Coke Zero both used Splenda.     Then the lockdown happened.   Diet RC disappeared and Coke Zero switched to Nutrasweet.   Everything on the soda aisle was made with either corn syrup or nutrasweet, except for Zevia which tastes bad.  Even the sugar sodas disappeared for a long time.  

So, we got the sodastream and I adore it.  I've also made some syrups.   That is still an ongoing process.  The recipes out there fall into two audiences, the super-natural where you use fruit juices and maybe stevia, or those that want to use sugar syrup.  So I modify.   One try at Diet Coke ended up tasting like a Mountain Dew and Fresca had a child.  Then I discovered that Sodastream has a Diet Orange!    Diet and Orange together and tasting good.  

We taken it on road trips using the canisters.  In the future, I'll probably just bring my syrups and buy sparkling water.  

That's interesting. I like the idea of a tank.  We got a sodastream for Christmas as my wife drinks La Croix by the case. La Croix is not sweetened. I don't drink it and never understood what the big deal with sparkling water was but I'm starting to like the plain sparkling water.  She doesn't use the syrups but does add a couple drops of non sweetened lemon juice just to add some flavor.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Based on appearance of the cylinder it could be an armed response.  Especially if they have any cables in the bag near the cylinder.  We almost always have to pull the liquid silver necklace out already.

13 hours ago, LeeW said:

Based on appearance of the cylinder it could be an armed response.  Especially if they have any cables in the bag near the cylinder.  We almost always have to pull the liquid silver necklace out already.

In that case I would take on in my carry on and just walk it through. Not much different than a steel thermos bottle or a steel insulated mug.