Streaming internet

journeymore

I tried asking a NCL rep but was told she only had the information I had that was on the website. So, I’m asking here. I’m thinking of booking a 15 night cruise and the free at sea is included. I would need streaming internet. 
can the free at sea internet be upgraded or do I pay the full daily rate?
The website says 13 or more days streaming internet comes with a discount. How much is the discount? How much would 15 nights of internet cost?

I have a 11-days cruise booked for next year, with the regular Free at Sea internet included. When I log on to my ncl-account, I have the choice to upgrade it to the streaming type internet for a total of $259,89 - and that equals about $23,60 per day extra. So my guess is that streaming internet access for a 15 days cruise where you have the Free at Sea internet included, would be around $355....

I can upgrade from Free at Sea internet to unlimited streaming for $149.91 CAD for a 7 day cruise. This makes it roughly $21.42/day Canadian. Over 15 days that would work out to $321.23CAD. Convert that to your local currency and it may not give you the exact dollar amount but it will give you a good idea of how much it would cost.

It's been said many times but be aware that upgrading to streaming does not get you faster speeds.  Only lets you connect to streaming sites.  Actually streaming can be hit or miss as the network is so slow at times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, kapcruiser said:

How much would it be to upgrade from free at sea to unlimited regular internet

no streaming?

If you log into your account and open your cruise booking, then scroll down a little way, the offer to upgrade "should" show.

Currently, if purchased pre-cruise, it costs about $10/per person, per day, more.

• Like 1

The "streaming" satellite WiFi internet access onboard will - probably - cost you an extra $10 per day over the basic unlimited access, less the trade-up or trade-in discount applicable,  but no additional discounts or stacking of Latitude discount are given (feel free to ask onboard about it)   Pricing has been the same regardless of charging for the upgrade pre-cruise or waiting until embarkation (where any/all OBC can be used to offset or lower the final net costs)

The package discount (20% for our Sapphire tier) is only valid if you do NOT have the Free At Seas promotional minutes (100, 120, 150, etc.) and getting the package at the regular pricing - then you get a percentage off.  

See screenshot below of our "offered" upgrade pricing for upcoming NCL cruise in early 2023, for 12 days (with about 5 sea days) - which was calculated to be $30 per day x 12, less a $145 credit for upgrading to the basic unlimited plan, at almost $215.  If we wait until 12:01 am midnight, it's considered Day 2 and we (should) are charged for 11 days, reducing our cost to "only" about $185 instead - before applying OBC.  There aren't too many 15 days cruises these days with NCL as the daily cost are supposed to be lowered ... Prices hasn't changed or been raised over the past 5 years for these turtle-like copper DSL line speed - #cough #cough #cough - hold your breath as I would not be one bit surprised if they do.  

For our ports, we are going to be kicking up dusts with our 4G/LTE and 5G "roaming" access using Google Fi - it's just a matter of do we feel like paying for the access on sea days and at night, cruising between ports and out of range of land towers.  Last time we did 14 days on the Escape doing the East Caribbean, we managed with our 300+ minutes just fine, "paid" for an extra 100 minutes toward the end of the cruise to keep in touch with home/extended families - for other reasons.  

Not sure what ship OP is planning to sail on ... unless NCL roll out Starlink and/or similar equivalent speed upgrade, the onboard WiFi is simply slow ... don't plan on and expect a smooth connectivity in streaming content, not with latency at 500 to 600ms and the narrow bandwidth as cached & shared.

NCL internet upgrade option 12 days - Jan 2023.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Thanks 1