Getting from Point A to Point B-What would you do?

We are trying to figure out the best way to get from one place to another before and after our cruise. I asked a similar question earlier, but without much detail. I'm willing to dig, but am hoping someone has an easy answer. ;) We've never been to the East Coast, so we really don't know anything about this other than what we have read. This is a little complicated, so I hope I can lay it out in a form that makes sense!

DH and I, along with DD, DSIL, and DGD are flying into Newark on 6/1 in preparation for our cruise on 6/2 departing from Cape Liberty in New Jersey. We are staying at a hotel near the airport. Transfers to the hotel are included, but we will need a way to get from the hotel to the cruise terminal on 6/2. With 5 people and luggage, we can't take a single taxi, so we're looking for the best way to get there. I looked at limo services, but most of them had a 3-hour minimum, taking the cost way up.

On the day of debarkation, DD, DSIL, and DGD are heading to the airport to return home, but DH and I are heading to Manhattan for another 5 days. However, the kids' flight doesn't leave until evening, so they might come up into Manhattan with us for a few hours. Is that even feasible? We looked at limo service for that, as well, but it is difficult to schedule considering that we have no idea when we will actually get off the ship and clear customs. Trains, etc. don't seem to be a good option because of all the luggage. An estimate for a taxi (again, wouldn't hold all of us, so we'd need two) is about $50 plus tips and tolls.

When DH and I leave Manhattan, we will need to get back to the Newark airport.

For each of those transportation situations, what would you choose?

Sorry to just ask questions; this is our first "big" cruise, and it feels like the very first time! After this one, I'm sure I'll have more to contribute. ;)

Buy a transfer from RCL to the pier. You will have to make up a dummy flight.

You get back to the airport using the hotels shuttle.

At the end of the cruise, if you all want to go to Manhattan.. well...there really is no easy way to do it cheaply. You would take the RCL transfer to Newark airport, then take one of the Express buses into Port Authority in Manhattan.. and then a cab to the hotel. I say forget that option.. and just geta car service or limo to pick you up at the pier.

To get back to EWR, the kids can take an express bus from Port Authority. That is the cheapest option.

When you get to the hotel, ask them for the number of a car service they like to use. Call them and request a minivan. Talk to that driver about your plans when you get back. He will probably give you either his direct number, or a number to call his company when you know what time you need a pickup at the pier upon your return.

You are going to NYC darlin...no shortage of transportation options and people who will be eager to get your business. :)

Tracy

There are several web-sites giving a complete run-down on transportation to/from EWR and Manhattan, including the recent opening of direct (Not non-stop!) train service. That would probably be cheapest, if you can figure a way to handle/store the luggage. Because of the complexity of your situation, you may not find an "easy answer". You might be able to "Google" most of what you need to know, but only you will know what is worth paying for and what your tolerance level is for the hassles of the Big Apple. It is a very exciting place, but the first few visits can be stressful, especially if you are footing the bill and there are children (DGD?)involved in part of the trip.

All of that said though, I bet you will be glad you didn't pass-up the chance to enjoy all that is New York.

I would just rent a van.

This would solve all your issues.

When leaving for the cruise you drop the van at the airport and there is a free shuttle to the pier, if I remember correctly.

Driving in Manhattan is easy. It's busy yes, but not worse than any major city and just take your time.

Buy a transfer from RCL to the pier. You will have to make up a dummy flight.

You get back to the airport using the hotels shuttle.

At the end of the cruise, if you all want to go to Manhattan.. well...there really is no easy way to do it cheaply. You would take the RCL transfer to Newark airport, then take one of the Express buses into Port Authority in Manhattan.. and then a cab to the hotel. I say forget that option.. and just geta car service or limo to pick you up at the pier.

To get back to EWR, the kids can take an express bus from Port Authority. That is the cheapest option.

But then they need to carry their luggage through the airport to meet up with the RCCL rep. 5 people - lots of luggage. I wouldn't want to do that.

Ask the hotel staff for a recommendation on a taxi service. They do have minivan style taxis for larger groups.

Archived