Cost of Costa coffee onboard Ventura.

Marmadukes

My wife and I are on the Ventura in March next year and are weighing up the relative costs of the drinks package versus buying them individually. Neither of us drink much but I do enjoy a good coffee and my wife loves a non-alcoholic mock tail from time to time. The non-alcoholic drinks package is showing as £19.95 per day (per person?) and we are on the ship for 35 days. The website states there would be a discount for cruises over 30 days and presumably I would get an extra discount as we are Mediterranean level. I’m thinking that paying as we go will be the best route but would like to know what the current prices are for coffee and mock tails.

5 hours ago, Marmadukes said:

but I do enjoy a good coffee

Although what the Costa’s onboard sell is better than the brown water served elsewhere, it unfortunately isn’t what I wouldn’t call it ‘good coffee’ - adequate at best.

And don’t rely on the pricing on the menu on the ship’s ‘app’ as the prices have increased by 10% from the prices shown, so although an espresso is shown as £1.95 it is actually £2.15 (plus another 10% if in a Spanish port).

Edited by 9265359
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 9265359 said:

Although what the Costa’s onboard sell is better than the brown water served elsewhere, it unfortunately isn’t what I wouldn’t call it ‘good coffee’ - adequate at best.

And don’t rely on the pricing on the menu on the ship’s ‘app’ as the prices have increased by 10% from the prices shown, so although an espresso is shown as £1.95 it is actually £2.15 (plus another 10% if in a Spanish port).

Why is the coffee more expensive in a Spanish port?

8 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

On a slightly related point, why is all the ‘free’ ‘coffee’ served on P&O so disgustingly bad? It’s genuinely the worst tasting coffee I’ve ever encountered anywhere in the world. Is it the desalinated water? Or maybe the Bromide?

Probably the cheapest coffee that they can buy.

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

On a slightly related point, why is all the ‘free’ ‘coffee’ served on P&O so disgustingly bad? It’s genuinely the worst tasting coffee I’ve ever encountered anywhere in the world. Is it the desalinated water? Or maybe the Bromide?

Its better han Princess!

8 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

Why, on an English ship which has presumably bought the coffee in Southampton, do we pay Spanish VAT if we are drinking it on the ship? It seems ludicrous.

Have you not come across this before?  It was brought in about 5 or 6 years ago, and I think Italy is also applying this as well now. It applies on all drinks while you are in port, not sure about the shops though.

Edited by terrierjohn

20 hours ago, Marmadukes said:

I do enjoy a good coffee

Well you should steer clear of Costa!

I used to enjoy Costa Coffee on P&O until a couple of years ago when it became weak and nasty tasting. Particularly, for some obscure reason, in the Atrium on Britannia. Maybe they used the grounds twice to save money!!

The chocolate is ok though.

4 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I think it's a cruise ship thing. Celebrity and RC is also pretty dire. Not to mention airlines...oops, just did.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Pine Man said:

Well you should steer clear of Costa!

I used to enjoy Costa Coffee on P&O until a couple of years ago when it became weak and nasty tasting. Particularly, for some obscure reason, in the Atrium on Britannia. Maybe they used the grounds twice to save money!!

The chocolate is ok though.

Personally, I don't think it's ever been very nice since it was first introduced on board. 

12 hours ago, Britboys said:

I don't think it's ever been very nice since it was first introduced on board. 

You're probably right.

Costa coffee certainly has never tasted as good on P&O ships as it does on land in their own coffee shops

• Like 1