Symphony of the Seas MDR disappointment

Lugger11

Halloween 2022 - RCCL Symphony of the Seas

The short version: Yawn and ew...

So, I know everyone is having staffing problems, and MDR service was always slow, so I'll just say, yeah it was slow, especially drinks. Not like I was ordering something fancy. Just wine off the wine menu. Shouldn't take 10-15 minutes to arrive.

Disappointments:

Escargot: came in a cream sauce instead of clear garlic butter. I know it's topped with garlic and whatever, but underneath I expected clear butter. Seeing the cream sauce made me think it wasn't done right. It tasted fine, but still unsure if this was right.

Prime rib: it was ok, but there was no seasoning, no rub. Just plain. I guess some people don't like the seasoning so they just served plain. Sad for the rest of us

NY strip steak: a go-to when you aren't in to anything else on the menu that night. Was over-cooked and cold when arrived. texture of shoe leather

Up charge Lobster: For $36 extra, I expected something special. Instead, I got something so over-cooked the meat had shriveled up in to about 4 bites worth. So sad.

Coconut Shrimp: Actually, this wasn't bad, but there was no coconut either. I think the same things as the prime rib. They are so afraid of offending people with flavor that they make it bland to be safe

Cheesecake with Strawberry: The cheesecake was fine, but there was no sauce of any kind, just a small strawberry on top. So it was bland and a bit dry.

Almost every meal came with some kind of deep-fried mash potato, but there was no gravy, butter, or sour cream. Just bland potato.

Did I complain the waiter? No, because he was already over-worked, and anything he could have done to remedy the situation would have taken even more time.

You know, the food is one of the main reasons I choose cruising over resorts, so if you fail at food, you fail on the whole. Not in any hurry to book RCCL again, and will be trying out different cruise lines instead of staying loyal.

I'm sorry you were disappointed.  I can't comment on meats or seafood, as I don't eat them, but personally I would be disappointed if I ordered cheesecake and it came with sauce on it. Cheesecake, to me, is much better plain.

The vegetarian, and occasional chicken dishes I've had on our four RC cruises on Enchantment this year have been good to excellent.

And we do enjoy a leisurely dinner of at least 1 1/2 hours, with some time to digest each course a bit before moving on.  Our waiter did not appear to be overworked; she just seemed to understand that we did not want to rush and run.