Choosing stateroom today! Two remaining questions after reading lots of reviews.

DEBBO1012

A group of 5 couples are cruising on the Bliss next August to Alaska on a 7- day leaving Seattle and returning to Seattle. My hubby and I will be choosing a balcony room. As we head north out of Seattle, is there a preference of port or starboard?  Also, I’ve been reading a lot about a cavern on the 9th floor, so is there a preference of floors and of mid, aft or forward on the Bliss? Thank you in advance.

40 minutes ago, DEBBO1012 said:

A group of 5 couples are cruising on the Bliss next August to Alaska on a 7- day leaving Seattle and returning to Seattle. My hubby and I will be choosing a balcony room. As we head north out of Seattle, is there a preference of port or starboard?  Also, I’ve been reading a lot about a cavern on the 9th floor, so is there a preference of floors and of mid, aft or forward on the Bliss? Thank you in advance.

Whatever you see on starboard side going north, you're going to see on port side coming back.

• Like 1

I guess my question is for people who have been on this trip. It looks like the port side faces the open ocean on the way up then as it proceeds through the inside passage, it will be facing nearby towns and scenery, which I assume is more interesting, but I don’t want to assume anything because this is an expensive trip and I don’t want to wish I had asked people who have been there, done that.😊

If anyone suffers from seasickness a cabin in mid ships is supposed to be best. 
but whatever you pick as www3traveler said a cabin on a deck that has cabins above and below is typically the quietest place. If you’re directly above/below a venue it could be noisy in the evening or morning depending on what it is, e.g. directly below the pool deck you’ll hear the crew moving loungers in the morning and evening. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DEBBO1012 said:

I guess my question is for people who have been on this trip. It looks like the port side faces the open ocean on the way up then as it proceeds through the inside passage, it will be facing nearby towns and scenery, which I assume is more interesting, but I don’t want to assume anything because this is an expensive trip and I don’t want to wish I had asked people who have been there, done that.😊

The Biss travels a long way out to sea and up the Western Coast of Canada before turning into the Upper portion of the Inside passage.  The Bliss does not sail between Vancouver Island and the mainland of Canada (lower portion of the Inside Passage).  The Veedam would be a small enough ship to have sailed the Lower Portion of the Inside Passage.

Edited by www3traveler
Add a comment

6 hours ago, DEBBO1012 said:

So it appears that you are going to the Dawes glacier. In that case, the port side is better for glacier day. You leave Juneau around 1:30 and get to the glacier around 6:00ish. The better viewing on the journey to the glacier would be on the port side. 

HOWEVER, the best shore excursion is to book the Glacier Explorer in Juneau. Just before the Bliss leaves Juneau, you will board a small tour boat that races ahead of the Bliss and gets up close and personal with the glacier and will stop for wild life (whales, bears, etc.). 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DEBBO1012 said:

You are way out at sea and don't see any land while transiting from Seattle up to Alaska. 

We saw land on our Alaska cruise last year... which was not a good thing because we had turned toward land for a medical emergency. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DEBBO1012 said:

Thank you. What about floors? From my reading, it seems like we should chose a floor above 9?

I am not familiar with Bliss but I always select a floor with cabins above and below. Then look at where you want to be on those floors that tick that box. Next decide near elevators or away from them as sometimes being near elevators can result in noisy people walking past against long walk to elevators/stairs. In the middle of the ship or towards front or back? These are the criteria I use.