Scarlet Lady Review 11/11-11/16/2022

Host Joe

33 minutes ago, Dylan0474mac said:

Thank you for taking the time to review. I am a big fan of VV and have been on 3 this year.  I agree with a lot of your points about having to work for your vacation. We do feel rushed to get on the app immediately in the terminal or else everything will be sold out.  There is still plenty of room for improvement. 

We are on Valiant Lady Dec 11th but trying out first celebrity cruise on Beyond in February. Excited to compare the 2 brands and experiences.

That is fantastic! I will be very interested to see your thoughts between them. We were on Edge last summer and I feel that class of ship would be the best to compare. 

• Like 1

Every room does have a steward you can ask for more water, towels, the bed to change to a sofa etc. It’s not just for suites. Pretty certain that’s a stander thing on all cruise lines not just Virgin?

I’m not disputing that they need to run more showings of some shows, but that member of staff that guessed at the room capacity was wrong, just a rough count of seats and the number of rows I got to around 300 when onboard. 

I think most of the shows should be on 2-3 times a week to ensure everyone has a chance to see them. 
Realistically the capacity of the ship might be 2800 but there will never that many guests onboard due to solo travellers etc. but they do need to ensure they have capacity for the 1200-2000 range that they are getting. 

On 11/16/2022 at 9:36 PM, Host Joe said:

Have you been on this ship? 

I am saying that there were NO bookings available. Simple math. 200 people in a show… one show… 1700 onboard. Rockstars board first and there are a lot of them. When these ships start sailing full I cannot imagine the show and dining problems that are already out of control. 

On the app you can request fresh towels, etc. You missed the point. You should not have to do that.

Test kitchen is a robotic service with set menu and portions. We went to the Galley afterwards and all that was available at that hour was burgers and all day breakfast. Pizza was not even open. 

Bars are different from lounges. You know, where there is a/c and you are dressed for dinner… so that eliminates all of the outdoor bars… I am talking about lounges. There are two. Sip and On The Rocks. 

There was really no reason to be so rude. No, I’ve never been. We have a cruise coming up. I was genuinely curious/ concerned about many of your comments. Have a nice night.

On 11/16/2022 at 11:51 PM, Roel94 said:

Think these people needed air con to drink but  different bars have different hours,yes, you can get  cleaning help in cabin by asking.

Thank you. Prefer it was automatic too but I have no problem requested the cabin service I want.

On 11/17/2022 at 9:00 AM, Host Joe said:

Please remember this is my review, my opinions and my views. I have been on almost 90 cruises and have been a host here on Cruise Critic for 20 years. I definitely have my research capabilities down, and I also know what I like and that is okay. There are a lot of people who appreciate balanced reviews like I took the time to write… which is all about my experience.

My hope and intention was for the community to enjoy a well written and well balanced review.. and I know many do, and that is why I do it. Some feel they have to try and contradict, question and berate the OP for their opinions… and if they are a cheerleader for that line then they feel they have to defend and bully the OP instead of respecting their views and opinions. 

Note… the count of how many can fit in the theater is from asking a VV team member, “about 200”. Even if it were double that… and if they did two shows, with a capacity of 2800 it will never ever give everyone onboard the opportunity to see the shows. We looked over and over for openings. A couple of nights there were a couple shows… but sold out. I am not interested in showing up early for a show and stand in a line hoping for no-shows to allow us in. One couple told us they plan for this every night… they grab a drink and stand in line for 45 minutes ahead of the show and “most” times it works. That is not vacation to me. 

One mentioned asking your “host” for help with services.. that is only for those in suites and are are Rockstars and have paid major $$. Those of us in regular balcony cabins get to to try and figure out everything on our own. Again, information is limited for everything. 

This line felt to us that it is full of “secret” things… apparently that is attractive to some, they love the mystery. I love cruising, enjoying vacation, good food, good service… not a mystery for everything. 

I love and respect all those that enjoy VV… there are lines for everyone. From their marketing and from the cheerleaders who did so many reviews I thought it may be for me too. The point of my review is to be honest and say it most definitely is not. 

For the rest of us yet to sail VV, what are these secret things?

50 minutes ago, conandrob240 said:

So there are really only 2 places inside that you can order a drink? This is very weird 

Oh many places, but the OP wants a lounge place vs a bar place.one bar I missed was the Mexican one but onky open at night. Not all bars are open all day or all night

1 hour ago, conandrob240 said:

There was really no reason to be so rude. No, I’ve never been. We have a cruise coming up. I was genuinely curious/ concerned about many of your comments. Have a nice night.

I apologize if it came off as I rude, I just asked if you have been on this ship. 

1 hour ago, conandrob240 said:

Thank you. Prefer it was automatic too but I have no problem requested the cabin service I want.

But… when I called and asked they refused, saying it was only once a day. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, conandrob240 said:

I am still not fully understanding. Meaning like a big atrium?

I think that's what OP wanted.  Bottom line, VV is not like Celebrity or Royal or Princess or NCL.  If you want what those ships offer, go on those ships.  Virgin has lots of smaller lounge areas with bar service, but there is no huge central atrium like you'll find on other ships.  I was on VV for 14 nights in October.  Many things I experienced were quite different from what is quoted here BUT I can't say what OP experienced.  Maybe the Tomahawk steak did increase from $75 to $125,   Maybe everything he said was accurate.  It just doesn't correspond to my experience in a sea terrace cabin only a few weeks before he cruised.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cantgetin said:

I think that's what OP wanted.  Bottom line, VV is not like Celebrity or Royal or Princess or NCL.  If you want what those ships offer, go on those ships.  Virgin has lots of smaller lounge areas with bar service, but there is no huge central atrium like you'll find on other ships.  I was on VV for 14 nights in October.  Many things I experienced were quite different from what is quoted here BUT I can't say what OP experienced.  Maybe the Tomahawk steak did increase from $75 to $125,   Maybe everything he said was accurate.  It just doesn't correspond to my experience in a sea terrace cabin only a few weeks before he cruised.

The experience menu is $125pp and includes the Tomahawk 

17 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

I don’t care about an atrium. I’d rather sit in quieter venues. I prefer a city at sea kind of feel where I’m going to different bars, restaurants , clubs

• Like 2

I was in a suite. I went to  one show that you pre booked.  The other never made it it to.was with friends eating, I stood for most of the drag show Abd liked it. The dance party thing is standing so just walked in.  Next time I would make sure I saw all the shows.

I personally only drank at Sip, Dock and Off the Rocks besides dinner. Next time I want to try the Mexican Bar and another. Cabin seemed to be cleaned twice a day. 

I got ice whenever I wanted. Wad putting in fridge for water or drinks.ice bucket small And does not last.

due to,friends we had that steak. I rather have seafood tower.

I felt in general food was good ..I. Just wish they would not serve so fast in some places. 

2 hours ago, conandrob240 said:

Seriously? They won’t change the bed? The whole point of the rooms is couch all day, bed at night!

No.. that is in their marketing but not in reality … in order to change that, you would need service twice daily, right? See now you are catching on to why I don’t get their plan for services. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, conandrob240 said:

I don’t care about an atrium. I’d rather sit in quieter venues. I prefer a city at sea kind of feel where I’m going to different bars, restaurants , clubs

Me too. Atriums are not our thing. Lounges are. There are two. And in each we had to seek out service every time we went. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roel94 said:

I was in a suite. I went to  one show that you pre booked.  The other never made it it to.was with friends eating, I stood for most of the drag show Abd liked it. The dance party thing is standing so just walked in.  Next time I would make sure I saw all the shows.

I personally only drank at Sip, Dock and Off the Rocks besides dinner. Next time I want to try the Mexican Bar and another. Cabin seemed to be cleaned twice a day. 

I got ice whenever I wanted. Wad putting in fridge for water or drinks.ice bucket small And does not last.

due to,friends we had that steak. I rather have seafood tower.

I felt in general food was good ..I. Just wish they would not serve so fast in some places. 

That is a suite difference. If you were in a regular balcony you would have had my experiences. 

58 minutes ago, Host Joe said:

That is a suite difference. If you were in a regular balcony you would have had my experiences. 

I always get a suite  on all ships.I am reading another persons review and her bar bill must be scary. At least I had drinks .

• Like 1

And as far as the Red Room goes, this is what the company that designed it said about capacity:

Our project is the Red Room – the world's first flexible, multi-form and multi-purpose theater on a cruise ship. The theater can transform from a 450-seat proscenium theater to a 550-seat alley configuration, to a flat floor – and mosh pit – for up to 800 people.

• Like 4