Cruise Weddings?

Nauti-Lady

In May of 2004 we sailed on RC Explorer to the Eastern Caribbean to attend a wedding. It was a wonderful time, the couple was married at the Marriott on St Thomas (Frenchman's Reef) in a lovely gazebo, the ocean was the back drop. The bride chose this location because the chapel on the ship has no ocean view and she wasn't happy with the charges the cruise line would have charged. She had a light buffet at the hotel then we went to dinner on the ship (our group of 30 had several tables together right by the windows). Our waiter had decorated the tables with confetti and balloons.

The bride was concerned because she felt as though there was not enough communication between her and those planning the wedding, all fears were put to rest............it was beautiful.

My daughter's best friend got married on the Statendam 3 years ago. She got married before the ship left. There were 150 people that got to go board, go to the wedding with a short reception. The best part was about 55 people went on the cruise. It was a blast.:)

Biggest caveat about a cruise ship wedding, esp if you are planing on getting married ON an island, is the potential for a change in itinerary due to weather or other factors. If you have folks flying in for that wedding and then you miss the port, it can be a disaster. Granted, that doesn't often happen, so depends on your willingness to tempt fate.

Think if it were MY daughter, I'd be inclined to have the important parties that NEED to be at the wedding on the ship with the couple. Then it would be ok to plan an island ceremony w/ one on board as a back up plan. Or, simply fly down to an island for a land based vacation where you aren't subject to the vaguaries of a cruise ship's itinerary.

Also, not all lines will do onboard weddings the same way. Princess has a wedding chapel and can do weddings at sea by the captain. Carnival only does them while in a port, none at sea, and none by the ship captain. If your daughter has a specific idea in mind, make sure she picks a cruiseline that will accomodate her dreams. Edit--One more thing, if you have not yet found it there is a forum here just for weddings and honeymoons with a wealth of details for you.

One of my former secretaries had a "destination wedding" on a cruise. She came back furious at her whole family, both sides. Apparently, they never left her & her new husband alone. Everyone always wanted to be with the newlyweds. She hated it & said she'd never recomend inviting all those people on your honeymoon.

One of my former secretaries had a "destination wedding" on a cruise. She came back furious at her whole family, both sides. Apparently, they never left her & her new husband alone. Everyone always wanted to be with the newlyweds. She hated it & said she'd never recomend inviting all those people on your honeymoon.

No offense to the bride mentioned, but wouldn't one sort of expect to spend time with their friends and family ?? My brother got married during a cruise - and they alleviated the 'stress' of having to spend a lot of family time was by taking a 14 day cruise, while everyone else booked the 7 day. They had a week w/ friends and family - and a week by themselves.

I got the sense that she was annoyed because the friends & relatives were inconsiderate (& immature IMO) about it. They were apparently knocking on the cabin door & calling at all hours just to see if they were . . . uh. . um . . interrupting anything . . . if you know what I mean. :o

Archived