Nami sushi for dummies

Florida_gal_50

I’ve never been that fond of sushi but I’m finding it’s really growing on me lately.  I think I many have sushi at my next tamarind outing.  Can I get some advice?

1) I like fish but I’m less excited about the fishy sushi  ones.  Which ones do you like the best out of the  fishy or non fishy?

2) about how much do you tend to spend?  Just wondering how much to order.

3) I’m assuming I’m not going to be able to use my 5 star freebie for this, correct?

4) I’ve never mastered chopsticks.  Will there be other dummies eating with a fork?  

Internet is a bit shaky today so hopefully I’ll get to see the replies.  Thanks so much.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’ve never been that fond of sushi but I’m finding it’s really growing on me lately.  I think I many have sushi at my next tamarind outing.  Can I get some advice?

1) I like fish but I’m less excited about the fishy sushi  ones.  Which ones do you like the best out of the  fishy or non fishy?

2) about how much do you tend to spend?  Just wondering how much to order.

3) I’m assuming I’m not going to be able to use my 5 star freebie for this, correct?

4) I’ve never mastered chopsticks.  Will there be other dummies eating with a fork?  

Internet is a bit shaky today so hopefully I’ll get to see the replies.  Thanks so much.

Tuna, salmon and hamachi (aka yellowtail) are all mild choices. Hamachi was truly amazing on our last cruise and is much pricier in a regular sushi setting. The service was really fabulous and after we put in a positive comment about it on the app, they greated us by name the second time we came back and treated us wonderfully again.

We spent about $45 for the two of us, but that might have been because we got a 25% discount for being 3* at the time. So it was actually cheaper than most specialty dining. I want to say I saw on the HAL website that the 3/4/5* Mariner discount no longer applies there, but it's still reasonable in price.

I use a fork too.

6 minutes ago, Greysandy said:

Tuna, salmon and hamachi (aka yellowtail) are all mild choices. Hamachi was truly amazing on our last cruise and is much pricier in a regular sushi setting. The service was really fabulous and after we put in a positive comment about it on the app, they greated us by name the second time we came back and treated us wonderfully again.

We spent about $45 for the two of us, but that might have been because we got a 25% discount for being 3* at the time. So it was actually cheaper than most specialty dining. I want to say I saw on the HAL website that the 3/4/5* Mariner discount no longer applies there, but it's still reasonable in price.

I use a fork too.

This is excellent information.  Thanks so much.  I’m glad there are others that use a fork.  Thanks so much.

• Like 2

I have always been told that the *appropriate* way to eat sushi is with your hands; it is a traditional finger food.  When sushi started out, it was much larger (like three times larger) and couldn't be picked up with the chopsticks.  Later, after Edo was westernized, they started cutting them smaller, but the traditional manner remained.  

The big key is clean hands, and eat the whole piece in one bite for maximum correctness.  Also, don't stick your chopsticks vertically in your rice; that is a super bad mojo thing (something to do with Japanese funerals, I'm told), as is crossing the sticks on the table, or rubbing them together after separating them (saying they are cheap).

They also say don't put wasabi in your soy sauce.  But my wife does it anyway.

*edited to add - here's a great video:  How to Eat Sushi : You've Been Doing it Wrong

Edited by Don Kehote
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with the poster who said salmon, hamachi and tuna.  I don’t like fishy fish either.  I don’t even like cooked salmon.  I don’t like the nori wrap either so I don’t get rolls.  I stick with the sushi or sashimi.

• Thanks 1

I have developed a taste for mackerel.

And yes, I've learned that sushi and sashimi are finger foods. Even so (ingrained guilt?), I tend to use chopsticks when feasible (like for segments of a roll).

I couldn't imagine not putting wasabi in the soy sauce.

=Bob=

• Thanks 1

My very favourites at Nami Sushi are the panko coated asparagus, the hamachi usuzukuri and the lobster roll.  That comprises my dinner there - I often do it when others at the table are doing the "real" Tamarind menu.   Then, one scoop of lychee sorbet completes a wonderful meal for me.  The sorbet isn't on the Nami menu but they never seem to mind giving it to me!

• Thanks 1

Tuna, albacore, and yellowtail are probably the mildest of all the raw fish.  The tuna poke (cubed tuna tossed in a citrusy soy sauce with avocado and I believe mango) at Nami is amazing and a must get for us.  I would also recommend trying eel (unagi), which is actually cooked.  It's flaky and tastes similar to a teriyaki sauce.

They make have chopstick helpers (a little plastic thing that clips on the end of the chopsticks to hold them together in proper form and make them easy to use) if you ask, but using a fork or your hands is also fine to do.  We always tend to overorder at Nami since we absolutely love sushi, but the prices are incredibly reasonable compared to any sushi restaurant on land so it's a good way for you to try some new things without spending a bunch of money.

• Thanks 1