In Covid isolation on the Nieuw Amsterdam

birdie16

My wife spent the last 5 days of our Oosterdam cruise from Venice in Covid isolation after she tested positive on August 30th. I was negative until the day we disembarked in Venice. We both spent 4 days in isolation in a crappy hotel in Maghera Venice. Guest services lied or mislead us on everything we could expect with isolation and expenses including prepaid hotel in Maghera with a $100 per diem for meals paid directly to us. The hotel was not prepaid, we had to pay for our rooms with a CC and cover all meals. Since September 4th when we got off the ship not one word or correspondence from HAL. We do not care about any FCC for the 5 missed days as we probably will not book another HAL cruise before it would expire. Fortunately, we had travel insurance through my TA's company, and we received a very generous cash settlement for all of our expenses, which we applied to our Celebrity cruises in 2023. This experience with HAL has left a very bad taste with us and I doubt if we ever will cruise with HAL again. We sailed exclusively for the last 10 years with HAL and made 3 star mariners. We now have 4 future cruises booked with Celebrity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, melspar said:

My husband and I spent 12 days of a 14 day cruise in quarentine in Oct. on the Neu Statendam. We did “the right thing” and turned ourselves in. Very elderly population on HAL ships. Really didn’t want to risk infecting others. We were promised future cruise credits for each of the days we were quarentined. We’ve been trying to book another HAL cruise using these promised credits and can’t get anywhere through our travel agent or the HAL “cruise concierge”. I’ll never book another HAL cruise if they don’t get this straightened out. Any advice cruisers?

You should have received a letter stating you would get FCC and also certificate from ship doctor of when you tested positive and finally negative listing time in quarantine. Have your TA send these with requested booking (or if on ship, ask guest services supervisor to get through to Corp with your documents). Hopefully these will help. It's a frustrating process. 

We finally received refunds for our excursions in mid-December for our June COVID “experience”. Then, a miracle! We received full reimbursement for our quarantine hotel and per diem right before Christmas. We are very relieved, but right now have no desire to attempt another cruise with any line. When we do, I will look thoroughly at other lines to find good customer service.