Galapagos cruise questions

RELS

We're on the Origin in late February 2023, and I have a few questions for folks who have sailed on her recently:

- Should we plan to bring our own wetsuits? Are there enough on board for everyone?

- What hotels does Silversea use in both Quito and Guayaquil?

- We just got our flight info. Our Details doc on MySilversea says we'll get a day room in Guayauil, but our flight from there to Miami doesn't leave until the next morning. Has anyone had this situation? What did Silversea do?

- Are hiking poles allowed on the islands (they aren't allowed some places)?

- I understand that this cruise is seafood-heavy. Are there choices for those who cannot eat crustaceans or mollusks? Especially since I can't eat pork products, either

I have read @wineasmusic's review of their trip earlier this year, and I've gotten a lot of good information as to what to expect. Are there any other good Galapagos/Origin topics I should look for in this forum?

TIA , folks!

There are enough suits on board…they are shorties…a great trick is to were 2 wet suits. We also wore skins underneath the suits it adds an extra layer of warmth and makes getting the suit on a lot easier. My wife did take her own suit a long one she is cold natured…it’s amazing 

• Thanks 1

We were on the Silver Origin 3rd week of August this year 2022.  Yes there were plenty of wetsuits.  We wore leggings and long sleeve rash guard underneath ( as tight as you can).  For some reason, it really helps keep you much warmer.  We did not wear the 1st day,  then we heard other people suggesting it.  Not cotton leggings, but spandex and nylon or poly fabrication.

Some people brought their own poles, and on some hikes, they had a barrel with lots of poles in it, and I took them from that.  So, if you don't mind schlepping yours, go ahead.  If you dont want to, they have them.

We don't eat ANY seafood ( by choice, just don't like it) and there was plenty of veggie and chicken dishes.  We do eat pork, so we had that too. But other types of seafood I hear was delicious.

Day room in Guayguil.  We had a night flight out, so we only used it for a few hours, but others stayed in it overnight who had a flight the next day.  Pro Verde was the hotel. We were in Quito for the week before the cruise, so we had an AirBnb.  Not sure which hotel they use...

Any other questions, just ask.  We LOVED it, DH wants to book the Northern Loop. He didn't want to go on this, and it's been his favorite trip. We've been traveling all over South America since February.  Just have to come up with the $$$$.

• Thanks 1

We are going on this trip in early February. SS uses Marriotts on both ends of the trip. Quito is the JW Marriott. 

• We are in the same situation - flying out the following day. I brought this to the attention of our SS customer service person and he is making sure we are booked at the Marriott overnight. 
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, kimanjo said:

We were on the Silver Origin 3rd week of August this year 2022.  Yes there were plenty of wetsuits.  We wore leggings and long sleeve rash guard underneath ( as tight as you can).  For some reason, it really helps keep you much warmer.  We did not wear the 1st day,  then we heard other people suggesting it.  Not cotton leggings, but spandex and nylon or poly fabrication.

Some people brought their own poles, and on some hikes, they had a barrel with lots of poles in it, and I took them from that.  So, if you don't mind schlepping yours, go ahead.  If you dont want to, they have them.

We don't eat ANY seafood ( by choice, just don't like it) and there was plenty of veggie and chicken dishes.  We do eat pork, so we had that too. But other types of seafood I hear was delicious.

Day room in Guayguil.  We had a night flight out, so we only used it for a few hours, but others stayed in it overnight who had a flight the next day.  Pro Verde was the hotel. We were in Quito for the week before the cruise, so we had an AirBnb.  Not sure which hotel they use...

Any other questions, just ask.  We LOVED it, DH wants to book the Northern Loop. He didn't want to go on this, and it's been his favorite trip. We've been traveling all over South America since February.  Just have to come up with the $$$$.

I have a medical issue which dictates I should not get cold.   Sooo I have no intention of missing out and have bought myself a full length wetsuit and intend to get a thermal rash vest and shorts to wear underneath plus a hood, gloves and boots.   If you feel the cold then prepare ahead and get some extra "stuff".  

• Thanks 1

Stayed in the JW Marriott in Quito.  It was nice.  Safe enough to walk around the neighborhood and look for some convenience stores (might be different now given the changing political climate).  In Quito I forget the name of the hotel.  Stayed overnight because our flight back to the US was the next day.

If you are concerned about the cold water, then bring your own wet suit.  Otherwise, they have plenty of wet suits onboard for everyone.

While the ship is heavily oriented towards seafood (ceviche available at every meal), you can certainly have non-fish and non-pork meals.  There is definitely a slant towards local cuisine, which I enjoyed.

To date, the Galapagos has probably been our favorite trip, and I would love to go back and do the other loop.  Or the same!   It was amazing.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

The wet suits SS provides are fine.  The fins are even ok.   The water temp is neutral, you aren't diving,  just snorkeling, so I wouldn't worry too much about gear.  I would absolutely though bring your own mask and snorkel.  Also essential are water shoes.  A quick story, we went snorkeling the second day off a beach, that was next to a sea lion rookery,  There were maybe 100+.  When we got in the water, the sea lions came in too.  They wanted to play.  Don't freak when one of these things comes at you at 30 mph.  They won't hit you.  They'll veer off. or go over you or under you but they won't crash into you.  Most fun I had on any of my adventures.  Oh. When the beach master-the 750 lb male that rules the beach, wakes up and starts bellowing, exit the water.   Have fun.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1