Blue Cross Interruption / Cancellation Insurance - Annual Plan

CDNPolar

Hello,

Anyone with experience with the Blue Cross Trip Interruption / Cancellation plan?

This plan allows for multiple trips per year but only compensates to a max of $5,000.00 per person per trip.

Anyone with experience with a claim payout?  My Insurance broker is advising against going with Blue Cross.

Are you sure it’s $5,000 and not $5,000,000. I read its $5,000,000 per trip. 

From Blue Cross website-

Both Annual Travel plans are available in the following per trip maximum durations:

• Choose a 4, 8, 17, 31, 60, 90, 120, 150 or 180-day maximum per trip duration. Take as many trips within the year, up to your selected per trip duration.

Both plans include:

• $5,000,000 for emergency medical care per trip
Edited by DHP1

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

Wasn't  the OP asking about Blue Cross Cancellation/Interruption coverage and not medical? $5000/pp would be understandable.

Depends on the cost of the trip 

if you need medical as well  it could be  a problem

We usually spend 2X that ea  for  a cruise  so does not work for everyone

We do not know what the  OP's cost  was  they were trying to cover & if they have other medical coverage

18 hours ago, LHT28 said:

would not cover much if you got sick in the USA

I am not asking about Medical.  I am only asking about trip interruption and cancellation.  I have more than sufficient medical coverage for travel through my job.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, DHP1 said:

Are you sure it’s $5,000 and not $5,000,000. I read its $5,000,000 per trip. 

From Blue Cross website-

Both Annual Travel plans are available in the following per trip maximum durations:

• Choose a 4, 8, 17, 31, 60, 90, 120, 150 or 180-day maximum per trip duration. Take as many trips within the year, up to your selected per trip duration.

Both plans include:

• $5,000,000 for emergency medical care per trip

Only asking about Trip Interruption and Cancellation.  NO medical in the plan.

Thanks for your responses, but I am only thinking about purchasing cancellation and interruption insurance with NO medical attached.  I have medical through work that is a very good plan.

More so, my question is does anyone have experience with a claim to Blue Cross?  Especially interruption or cancellation?  My insurance broker tells me that they have a very poor claims payout timeframe and high frustration level for claimants.

Under the annual interruption and cancellation plan, you can have a year of coverage for unlimited trips up to 31 days for about $1000.00 (for the two of us based on age) but it only compensates up to $5,000.00 per person regardless the cost of the trip.

We are considering doing some land based tours over cruising in the next couple of years and we could do multiple that are under the 5K limit in a year.

This would be a considerable saving on cancellation and interruption insurance, but is the saving worth the hassle?

Our broker wants us to buy single trip cancel / interruption insurance through Manulife instead.  

3 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Thanks for your responses, but I am only thinking about purchasing cancellation and interruption insurance with NO medical attached.  I have medical through work that is a very good plan.

More so, my question is does anyone have experience with a claim to Blue Cross?  Especially interruption or cancellation?  My insurance broker tells me that they have a very poor claims payout timeframe and high frustration level for claimants.

Under the annual interruption and cancellation plan, you can have a year of coverage for unlimited trips up to 31 days for about $1000.00 (for the two of us based on age) but it only compensates up to $5,000.00 per person regardless the cost of the trip.

We are considering doing some land based tours over cruising in the next couple of years and we could do multiple that are under the 5K limit in a year.

This would be a considerable saving on cancellation and interruption insurance, but is the saving worth the hassle?

Our broker wants us to buy single trip cancel / interruption insurance through Manulife instead.  

Sorry, but in all our travels (touch wood) we've never had to use cancellation or interruption insurance. Manulife is generally way more expensive than other companies.

Unless you foresee an issue in your travels, I would go with the best coverage at the best price.

I have coverage through my credit card but on our last last cruise, I purchased additional insurance from Desjardine as BMO was having issues with covid coverage at that time. The year plan for two of us was only about $30 more than a single trip plan. I researched mulitply companies and read wayyyy too many policies, that had clauses buried in the fine print that wouldn't cover cruise ship interruption. That was after speaking to agents and specifying exactly what coverage I was looking for and being reassured the policy was good for that. One agent said she'd been selling that policy for several years and didn't know the clause existed. It was in the 54th clause near the end of dozens of pages of fine print. With covid many companies have reworded policies.

Blue Cross we've bought many times through the years.

A friend of ours spouse fell and hit her head on holiday. She was in a coma and their trip was interrupted and delayed. They had to put out over $50,000 in expenses for medical and travel. They were reinbursed later but their insurance didn't cover it until their return as they weren't contacted prior to initial treatment. Due to it being immediate emergency. The insurance company did assist with the arrangements for accomodations and return to Canada. Something to be aware of. Insurance companies are rarely willing to part with money easily.

• Like 1

Have not used  Blue cross since the 70's

We use RSA or TIPS  but  insure the the cost of the cruise/trip  which is  a lot more than $5000

The premium is usually about $500 + ea

We have had to use it  a couple of times & they did pay out  in about 2 mths

Road trips  are different as you will not lose a chunk of $$  but if your medical plan  covers  you for hospital stays

Check your work plan they may cover you for returning home if you needed to fly back

Check if any reviews online  for Blue Cross

all ins companies  like to take their time to pay out

• Like 2

On 11/18/2022 at 7:58 AM, CDNPolar said:

Hello,

Anyone with experience with the Blue Cross Trip Interruption / Cancellation plan?

This plan allows for multiple trips per year but only compensates to a max of $5,000.00 per person per trip.

Anyone with experience with a claim payout?  My Insurance broker is advising against going with Blue Cross.

FWIW, we did make a claim some years back with Blue Cross. It was at the end of a Princess trip returning to Galveston. We woke up to some of Galveston's horrible fog and couldn't dock until mid-afternoon, thereby missing our flight home. BC paid out almost all our expenses without issues, and reasonably quickly as I recall. AC flight change fees, hotel, rental car, even a small meal PD. The only thing I remember them not covering was my cheeky claim for an extra day's airport parking here in YUL. We, too, have the annual plan with BC though have not had to make a claim since that one some years ago, so I can't speak to their recent performance. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lx200gps said:

FWIW, we did make a claim some years back with Blue Cross. It was at the end of a Princess trip returning to Galveston. We woke up to some of Galveston's horrible fog and couldn't dock until mid-afternoon, thereby missing our flight home. BC paid out almost all our expenses without issues, and reasonably quickly as I recall. AC flight change fees, hotel, rental car, even a small meal PD. The only thing I remember them not covering was my cheeky claim for an extra day's airport parking here in YUL. We, too, have the annual plan with BC though have not had to make a claim since that one some years ago, so I can't speak to their recent performance. 

Helpful for some experience for sure.  Thank you.  I don't get the impression that BC is a popular insurance, but then it is not available in every province....?

When I called for a quote for cancellation/interruption only (we already have more than enough medical), I was told that there is a cap on the amount per trip when you choose the annual plan (more than one trip per year), but you can always call to increase the insurance should you have a trip that is more (you'll have to pay for it though). Alternatively you can just purchase your cancellation/interruption per trip (based on the cost of that specific trip), rather than an annual plan, and they will cover the full amount of trip per person.