Carnival Venezia - May 29, 2023 Transatlantic

mik0227

On 5/17/2023 at 8:02 AM, sailing.duo said:

Hello fellow cruisers!  My name is Kayla, my husband is Devin and we are originally from Virginia.  Avid cruisers, but this will be our first transatlantic.  We have been living in Europe for a little while, so we're using this cruise to get back to the US.  Much more pleasant than a flight 😁

We are a bit slow to planning this time, but if anyone else is looking for a private tour in Ponta Delgada, Azores, here's the one we have planned.  I've been emailing with Sarah Santos, the owner of Harmony Trail Azores, a family-owned company for a 5-6 hour tour of the island.  Devin and I are are most interested in spending some time at the spectacular viewpoints for the crater, the blue and green lakes, and visiting Sete Cidades.  So, if that sounds similar to what you'd like to do and you don't currently have anything booked, let us know!  You can email me directly at perduekn@gmail.com if you'd like.  Sarah offers a private, small group tour, at least 2 people, no more than 7 guests for 250 Euros, divided among everyone.  She said that if we had cloudy weather and the visibility is low, she knows beautiful areas to visit.  Thanks for reading, see you on the ship 😊

Hi Kayla, 

I haven't scheduled anything yet and would love to be part of your group, if possible. I will email you directly.. 

Thanks, 

Angie

• Like 1

My husband and I are also on this cruise. Mike and Paula from Indianapolis, IN. This is our 3rd transatlantic cruise. We were also on the Celebration first cruise last fall. We look forward to 15 relaxing days with all you fine folks.

Hi.  I'm NOT part of this cruise, but Brand Ambassador John Heald made an announcement about some special guests on this sailing.  I made a thread about it on the Carnival board:

TL,DR:  Carnival President Christine Duffy and Chief Culinary Officer Emeril Lagasse will be on this TA.  They'll host some special events - one of which will be a chance to cook with Emeril (for a price - though it will be donated to St. Jude)

Hello all!  I haven't participated in roll calls in a while - and although I'm Pinnacle on Royal Caribbean, this is my first Carnival cruise in over 20 years!!  I've had a heartbreak reading through this thread, as my best friend Denise (Denny) posted here early on - we were doing this cruise together - but in the interim she has passed away, so I'm now sailing solo. 😪 Determined to have a wonderful time in her memory; we met on a cruise in 2014 and have done dozens together over the past 9 years.  I miss her more than I can say - indeed, we were supposed to come over on the Virgin Voyages TA together, but she was gone before we set sail.

Anyway... I have tours booked for all the ports except Ponta Delgada... where I want to take a cab to the Terra Nostra hotel and buy their 10-euro pass for access to the gardens and the large thermal pool (jacuzzis are closed right now for renovation).  However, the cab there from the port is 50 euro each way - still about the same price as most of the Carnival tours, but I'd much rather share the cab with 1 or 2 people, and we'd have a lovely spa day at a very affordable price.  I'm not interested in an island tour as I've done a few here, and don't need to do it again.

If no one wants to share, I may do it alone... or just wander the city near the port, which is beautiful

I look forward to meeting new friends onboard.

Just wanted to say so sorry for your loss and I know you will keep your friend's memory alive on this cruise!

Lots of solos onboard so you won't be alone (unless you want to be?).  Safe travels...  (when do you arrive in Barcelona and where are you staying?)

• Like 1

I am so sorry for your loss.  There are several people going solo, so you will be in great company!  I have already booked all my tours and they are picking us up at the port.  Hopefully you will find someone to share the cab!

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words and good wishes, I trust I will keep my friend in happy memory.  I travel solo a lot so I'm sure I'll meet new friends - and hopefully find someone to share that cab!  I've been traveling in Europe since arriving on the VV transatlantic May 7:  2 nights Barcelona, then a week on the MSC Grandiosa circle med cruise (just fascinating the way they pick up and drop off passengers in nearly every port)... now 4 days each Budapest, Bratislava (where I am now), then Vienna... then just 1 night Barcelona, at the Hyatt Regency Tower (Denny and I had stayed there before and we were going to be sharing a room before the cruise) - I'm excited to see the new "Carnival Italian Style" cruise!  Actually, when the VV ship was in port in Cadiz, I saw the Venezia in the shipyard being refitted!!  Again, many thanks for the sweet thoughts, it will help.

• Like 2

On 5/22/2023 at 11:40 PM, EmpressofPurple said:

Thanks for the kind words and good wishes, I trust I will keep my friend in happy memory.  I travel solo a lot so I'm sure I'll meet new friends - and hopefully find someone to share that cab!  I've been traveling in Europe since arriving on the VV transatlantic May 7:  2 nights Barcelona, then a week on the MSC Grandiosa circle med cruise (just fascinating the way they pick up and drop off passengers in nearly every port)... now 4 days each Budapest, Bratislava (where I am now), then Vienna... then just 1 night Barcelona, at the Hyatt Regency Tower (Denny and I had stayed there before and we were going to be sharing a room before the cruise) - I'm excited to see the new "Carnival Italian Style" cruise!  Actually, when the VV ship was in port in Cadiz, I saw the Venezia in the shipyard being refitted!!  Again, many thanks for the sweet thoughts, it will help.

I am very sorry for your loss. My sincere condolences. I happened to have only one 

On 5/22/2023 at 6:15 PM, EmpressofPurple said:

Hello all!  I haven't participated in roll calls in a while - and although I'm Pinnacle on Royal Caribbean, this is my first Carnival cruise in over 20 years!!  I've had a heartbreak reading through this thread, as my best friend Denise (Denny) posted here early on - we were doing this cruise together - but in the interim she has passed away, so I'm now sailing solo. 😪 Determined to have a wonderful time in her memory; we met on a cruise in 2014 and have done dozens together over the past 9 years.  I miss her more than I can say - indeed, we were supposed to come over on the Virgin Voyages TA together, but she was gone before we set sail.

Anyway... I have tours booked for all the ports except Ponta Delgada... where I want to take a cab to the Terra Nostra hotel and buy their 10-euro pass for access to the gardens and the large thermal pool (jacuzzis are closed right now for renovation).  However, the cab there from the port is 50 euro each way - still about the same price as most of the Carnival tours, but I'd much rather share the cab with 1 or 2 people, and we'd have a lovely spa day at a very affordable price.  I'm not interested in an island tour as I've done a few here, and don't need to do it again.

If no one wants to share, I may do it alone... or just wander the city near the port, which is beautiful

I am very sorry for your loss. My sincere condolences

This is my second time on Carnival after 15 years. I am Diamond on RCCL (still a way to go before Pinnacle...🙂). I will be traveling with both of my kids (young adults) and I happen to have only one tour booked independently for Ponta Delgada with a tour operator that we used in the past and are very happy with. I originally wanted to go to Terra Nostra hotel and soak in the giant thermal iron pond! However, this tour includes a stop at another hot spring. Here is the link http://www.azoreantours.com/index.php?lang=en&option=shoreen

Just a reminder....  There will be an

Inter-Denominational Gathering on Venezia’s Trans-Atlantic Crossing,

May 29-June 13

10-10.45am on each At-Sea Day, 

in the PIANO BAR, deck 5. 

All are welcome for relaxed informal fellowship and sharing together.

For more info, contact:  colemanis@gmail.com

Looking forward to a memorable transatlantic crossing ~ almost here!

3 hours ago, christinetuniket said:

I...I happen to have only one tour booked independently for Ponta Delgada with a tour operator that we used in the past and are very happy with. I originally wanted to go to Terra Nostra hotel and soak in the giant thermal iron pond! However, this tour includes a stop at another hot spring. Here is the link http://www.azoreantours.com/index.php?lang=en&option=shoreen

Thank you!  I have done this tour, it's lovely but does not include the opportunity to soak in the hot springs, only to visit them (in fact, the springs are boiling hot and one cannot touch them).  Enjoy the time with the adult children, I love traveling with mine, too. 🙂

On 5/22/2023 at 12:15 PM, EmpressofPurple said:

I am so sorry about your friend Denise; how terribly sad. Your travels prior to this cruise sound fantastic; I’d love to hear all about them! If you see me around on the ship (short gal with curly red hair, ya can’t miss me!) please come over and say hi! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jcruiser201 said:

Leaving for the airport shortly.  So excited.  First transatlantic.  I noticed the meet and mingle is "paused".  Is there one booked for this cruise? 

I haven’t seen any meet and mingle scheduled since before Covid😢

Anybody else onboard with internet?  I work every day when I travel, so I purchase the highest quality offered on every cruise.  I'm loving this trip so far.  Ship is beautiful - Still exploring all the beautiful venues.  Have already (randomly) met six other solo travelers, plus couples and families, many frequent floaters like myself, all warm and friendly.  And I found a duck!  Tiny and red, tucked in a chair cushion outside the dining room my first night.  After a pretty abysmal check-in process, the cruise is very smooth.  Enjoyed the Venetian mask-making craft project in the Gondola lounge (simultaneous with various trivia games in the same large space), and the "fireside chat" in the theatre with Carnival President Christine Duffy and Chief Culinary Officer Emeril (only wish they had invited audience questions).  Food selection is limited but I always manage to find something good to eat, even as a relatively new Vegan,  Love the Burrito bar!  And I just saw there's a veggie burger available in the deli, I'll try that one day, too.  Looking forward to getting through the ports and enjoying that long stretch of sea days - transatlantics are my favorite, especially westbound with all those 25-hour days.

• 3 weeks later...