Are drones allowed to be transported on Ponant ships?

Catlover54

DH and I will be touring a country that allows drone usage (with certain rules) before we then board a Ponant ship, and DH hopes to use his drone for photography in areas where it is allowed.  I know that some ships won't allow drones on board even if you don't use them, others allow them on board and are fine with them living in your cabin as long as you do not use them on board or in port.  Every line I know of prohibits use of drones while on the ship, that is clear.

I cannot find the Ponant policy on drones on the website (a search does not take me to anything about drones), but I seem to recall having read somewhere a few months ago that you can take them on board as long as you don't fly them.  I just cannot find where I read it. Calling and asking won't do us much good because 30-40% of the time, in our experience, the call center clerks give out erroneous information, and we don't want to risk having our expensive drone confiscated prior to boarding due to detrimental reliance.

Do you know if Ponant has a strict prohibition on drones boarding a ship (even if not used), or do they allow them (as long as not used on board or in ports)?

If allowed, do you have a link to written information? 

Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

Ponant does not prohibit drones from coming on the ship. As you suspected, drones can’t be flown from the ship. I’ve had a drone with me on most Ponant cruises and it has never come up. 

On every cruise’s page under “Important Trip Details,” you can find the following text:

Warning about the use of drones: the use of drones aboard PONANT ships, whether they are sailing at sea, at a port of call or anchored, is strictly forbidden. The use of drones on land in the Arctic and Antarctic regions is also strictly forbidden by international polar regulations. In other regions, it may be possible to use drones on land if permission has been obtained from the relevant authorities of each country and each region travelled through, as well as a pilot’s licence that should be obtained from your home country. Passengers are responsible for obtaining these permits; they should be able to present them at all times. Passengers who do not obtain these authorisations expose themselves to the risk of legal proceedings.

• Thanks 1