Addo Elephant Nat'l Park/St Croix Penguin Colony on our own

CountessP

We will be in Port Elizabeth overnight.  Wondering about doing this attractions on our own.

I get the impression we can take a taxi there and then hire a car/jeep with driver to take us through park?

Or perhaps better to hire someone at the dock?  I believe that the ship tours are unreasonably expensive compared to the cost of doing it on our own.

Also, since we are there overnight, and I read on their website that the "safari" takes about 2 hours, any nearby attractions that we can combine.  Thinking about the St Croix Penguin Colony but can't find anything online. Don't know how far it may be from PE.

Any info/help appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

We've driven a road tour of South Africa, including overniting in both Kruger Nat Park (touring in our little rented car) and a private safari park in Greater Kruger (in park's safari jeep), and a day-trip into Addo in our rented car 

You've got a few options ............

Book the complete tour from Port Elizabeth (which I shall continue to call "Port Elizabeth" because "Gqeberha" is quite a mouthful 😏)

. Sorry, I've got no recommendations but a google search of "Port Elizabeth safari operators" brought up quite a few,  including       

https://addogamedrives.co.za/ 

and 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/AttractionProductReview-g312559-d16873150-Addo_Elephant_National_Park_from_Port_Elizabeth_FD01-Port_Elizabeth_Eastern_Cape.html 

and 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/AttractionProductReview-g312559-d15125987-Addo_Elephant_Park_Full_day_Safari_Shore_Excursion_from_Harbour-Port_Elizabeth_Eas.html

A 4WD safari jeep would be ideal, but there's only one small corner of the Park that's inaccessible to regular 2WD cars, and all vehicles must keep to the gravel tracks, so the only significant advantages of a jeep are the better viewing and more-professional guides.

A self-drive car would be cheaper, especially if you opt for an overnight. It's not as daunting as it sounds. and there's a selection of international rental agencies in Port Elizabeth. 

Since you're porting overnight, consider an overnight in the Park - best viewing is early morning.

In the main camp inside the northern entrance the Parks Service offers a selection of accommodations from guest houses thro cabins & rondevals to permanent tents plus restaurant, shop etc. There are also some options near the southern entrance.

Another option is to either a self-drive or pre-booked taxi from the cruise port to the main camp, then join one of the Park's own safari jeeps - but separate transport to the Park and in the Park seems like poor value. 

https://www.sanparks.org/images/parks/maps/main-game-colchester-area-map.jpg

https://www.sanparks.org/parks/addo/camps/addo/tourism/accommodation.php

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

Do another drive to Addo Elephant Park on your own.Go thru dome dicey areas and driving on the other side of the road..It is a over an hour drive and cabs are Notto be trusted!

penguin sight depends on the western as it’s a very windy town and you have to make reservations way in advance that can be cancelled only that be cancelled at a moments notice.

znopefully there will be some yours st the dock.

I am originally from Port Elizabeth now living in the USA.Do Be.I Eve me I know these are all true facts!

Just now, loerie said:

Do another drive to Addo Elephant Park on your own.Go thru dome dicey areas and driving on the other side of the road..It is a over an hour drive and cabs are Notto be trusted!

penguin sight depends on the western as it’s a very windy town and you have to make reservations way in advance that can be cancelled only that be cancelled at a moments notice.

znopefully there will be some yours st the dock.

I am originally from Port Elizabeth now living in the USA.Do Be.I Eve me I know these are all true facts!

Sorry just had eye surgery - meant to say Do Not drive on your own!

Thank you Ioerie.  Alot of what you say makes sense.  I'll look for a tour, someone established in the area.  

Thank you, John, for the tour recommendations.  I'm talking to them!

Loads of tours to the Elephant Pk.  Am having trouble finding any to Penguin Island, except with ship.  May have to do that. 

Do you know how the penquin colony in Cape Town compares to this one?  I was planning to go there as well.  Maybe don't need to do both?

27 minutes ago, CountessP said:

Thank you Ioerie.  Alot of what you say makes sense.  I'll look for a tour, someone established in the area.  

Thank you, John, for the tour recommendations.  I'm talking to them!

Loads of tours to the Elephant Pk.  Am having trouble finding any to Penguin Island, except with ship.  May have to do that. 

Do you know how the penquin colony in Cape Town compares to this one?  I was planning to go there as well.  Maybe don't need to do both?

Penguin Volony inCape Town is much better ?As ai said before -The ocean can be tough and it’s very windy —trip can be cancelled at a moments notice.I am originally from a port Elizabeth.Years ago you could swim at the apenguin beach and the penguins would poop on you as you sun tanned on the beach .Boulders Beavh in Cale Town is beautiful.