Antartica Expedition Gear

flare3192

Thought I would start a thread here for tips and recommendations on things needed for an Antarctica cruise. Right now I am looking for glasses and considering ski goggles but would like recommendations -- gloves, glove liners, socks, etc. If you have been there what did you bring that worked for you. What did you bring that you wish you didn't? Any information would be helpful

The binoculars are far better on expedition cruises. We made a mistake and took ours. The temp onshore was 0C for us. 2 pairs of socks, sunglasses, gaiter, ski leggings and base layer with a light top. Gloves. I used my winter cycling gloves. We were warm even when there was wind. 

LindaS

The expeditions thread has gotten so long at 29 pages that it is difficult to find anything which is why I started this. I thought a thread related to the gear you need to have or not have would be useful.And perhaps things brought but not needed or things needed but not brought would help more than me. 

The roll call for the trip is very inactive

• Like 1

It isn't going to be THAT cold.  Here is the climate data for McMurdo Station - https://weatherspark.com/y/144751/Average-Weather-in-McMurdo-Station-Antarctica-Year-Round.  The average high temperature at McMurdo for  December and January is ~ 30 degrees.  That isn't warm but I will bet that it higher than you expected.  Granted that McMurdo is not where you are going to be but the data is relevant.

DON

We are going to Antarctica in January and looking into buying gloves and sun protection. If you have been, please let us know what did and did not work for you. Were mittens better than gloves? Did you use hand warmers? Which gloves did you buy that you liked?

Did you use your regular sunglasses or did you get glacier specific sunglasses? If you did purchase sunglasses are you able to use them at home or are they too dark? Did you purchase polarized or non polarized?

Thank you

yes FB  I wasn't sure I could say that.  We were to be enjoying the trip on the Polaris on December 27...unfortunately my husband's aortic valve has other ideas!!!  Hopefully we can go next year!  You should be receiving an email from Viking to order sizes for your gear and other clothing suggestions.  Have a wonderful trip!!!