Debarkation Day - ship hang out locations?

The only overpacking I do is OTC meds.  I have everything anyone on board might ever need!  Cold medicine, Dramamine, Imodium, Tylenol, ibuprofen, sunscreen, aloe, pepto, ambesol, benedryl, bandages, moleskin, antiseptic.  You name it, I got it.  I can wear outfits more than once & wash stuff in the sink but no way am I gonna be without an OTC!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, poocher said:

The only overpacking I do is OTC meds.  I have everything anyone on board might ever need!  Cold medicine, Dramamine, Imodium, Tylenol, ibuprofen, sunscreen, aloe, pepto, ambesol, benedryl, bandages, moleskin, antiseptic.  You name it, I got it.  I can wear outfits more than once & wash stuff in the sink but no way am I gonna be without an OTC!!

I'm with you on that.  I don't want to be forced to bring myself to the attention of the medical staff for something that could've been so easily "fixed".  I bring small containers, so my first aid kit fits in a red pencil pouch /is easy to bring ashore. 

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Seriously, though, aside from a few clothes, you really don't need much onboard, and the rooms are small.  Bringing extras can easily backfire.

Well, once you bring your pillows and comforter, the carry-on idea goes out the window :)   We have a lot of duffles and packing cubes and the luggage that fits within each other for storage.   Also, bins that fold flat and pop-up hampers.   Our room will look cluttered, but that is OK.  

3 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

We are people that would rather have lots of luggage than do without creature comforts that we can think of that is possible to get onboard.    For example, a back scratcher and real maple syrup are both essentials.   So, we'll be putting our luggage out the night before.  

OMG!

1 hour ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Well, once you bring your pillows and comforter, the carry-on idea goes out the window :)   We have a lot of duffles and packing cubes and the luggage that fits within each other for storage.   Also, bins that fold flat and pop-up hampers.   Our room will look cluttered, but that is OK.  

Pillows???  Comforter?????  You bring your own?????

• Like 1

You can pack a lot of luggage under the bed, I mean a lot.

4 hours ago, poocher said:

I’m the same way. We are cruising next week, so I better stock up at the drug store soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

Lol and maple syrup!

Ok I gotta ask why?  Why your own bedding?  Of course we fly so they would be out of the question but I can’t imagine why I would need to.  I do some of my best sleeping on a cruise.

9 hours ago, poocher said:

Ok I gotta ask why?  Why your own bedding?  Of course we fly so they would be out of the question but I can’t imagine why I would need to.  I do some of my best sleeping on a cruise.

I don't know about cruises, they might actually wash their blankets.    But the ones in hotels are absolutely disgusting!    They are never washed and think about what people have done on them! 

First things I do in a hotel room is to toss the blanket(s) on the bed into the corner.   Wash my hands.   Do bedbug inspection with black light.  Don't accidentally reverse that order (shudders).   

If I drove I then add my pillow and blanket.   If I flew and therefore needed a blanket, I'd call down to the desk tell them I needed a new blanket because I 'spilled a drink on it'.      

I am not a clean-freak, but those blankets/bedspreads in hotel rooms are gross! 

I used to travel for work spending 180-ish nights in hotels.  There was one place close enough to drive and I'd love it because I'd sleep like I was home in my own bed since I could bring my own pillow and comforter.   

Now that travel is with the family, when we drive we like to have blankets and pillows in the car to help us get comfortable and sleep.  We'll be driving to the cruise, so might as well bring them with us.   Also, I can't use wool blankets.   

As for as why we bring Maple Syrup?   Well, once you have the real thing that 'pancake syrup' is no longer edible.  Real syrup is one of those creature comforts I enjoy when traveling. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

We bring exactly the clothing we need, so it fits in the drawers without difficulty.  We place our one suitcase (open) in the closet and toss our dirties into it all week.  On the last day, we zip it up, and we're packed.  

Our room is not cluttered, so it feels peaceful and inviting.  

I am not a clean-freak, but those blankets/bedspreads in hotel rooms are gross! 

Easier option:  Two weeks before your cruise, email Special_Needs@rccl.com and ask for a "full change" of bedding.  Explain your allergies.  Ask for an eggshell mattress topper for comfort too.  

Maple syrup still has me baffled.  

Thanks, but no.   We will have the blankets and pillows in the car with us anyway.  All we have to do is to shove them in a duffle.   Although, ... considering what I've found between the supposedly clean sheets into hotel rooms I've just checked into maybe I should do that anyway.  On the other hand, I've got this idea that on cruise ships the between-guests clean is more thorough mainly because they don't want the norovirus taint.  Could be wrong.