Specialty restaurant age restrictions on the Spirit

brendanspop

Because we'll be travelling with (2) 18 month-old toddlers, are we going to have to stay clear from the specialty restaurants (Cagney's, Le Bistro, etc)? Or are they accomodating with high-chairs, etc for the kids? We've called and there doesn't seem to be any kind of info online or in our cruise docs. We know that RCL has an age restriction in their specialty restaurants so we just want to find out beforehand. Thanks!

I am not certain about age restriction but someone else will be I am sure: I will say the dining experience is meant for those who want a 2 hour long, very intemate and special experience. I really think 18 month old may have a problem with this. Only you know your children. NMNita

Though I do not believe there is an age restriction for the specialty restaurants, I respectfully suggest that you do not bring them to the restaurant. As Nita said above, people generally go to the specialty restaurants for an intimate dinner or for a special time. It is very hard to have an intimate dinner with young children in the room (no offense). In addition, the tables tend to be rather close together. I dont want to make any assumptions about your children, but I have seen some rather badly behaved children in the restaurants in the past, and honestly it can really ruin a dinner for others around you.

~Intrepid

I just returned from the Spirit with my five year old son who is extremely well behaved. we ate in specialty restaurants every night. At least half the nights there were some horrible screaming children with oblivious parents disturbing our dinner. If your child is not old enough to sit quietly and be respectful then please don't bother- the restaurants are small and intimate .

I just returned from the Spirit with my five year old son who is extremely well behaved. we ate in specialty restaurants every night. ...

Hi, Mommybunny21,

Did the specialty restaurants charge the full cover charge for your 5-year-old? I've just been hearing conflicting information on this, am wondering if this varies from ship to ship, or from one restaurant to another, or from one person to another who prints out the bill each time at a restaurant. As we will have a five-year-old with us, your situation will fit us perfectly. Thank you.

Thanks for the advice - we will definitely keep that in mind as far as the intimacy is involved. Would a large party (around 8 adults) also be frowned upon because of the small atmosphere?

Absolutely not! Just remember to make your reservation as soon as possible after boarding the ship, as it could be difficult to accomodate a party of 8 in the Specialty restaurants. Choose your date and time as quickly as possible so as not to be disappointed! ;) Enjoy!

:D

Brendanspop, Could you possibly hire one of the sitters available for one evening so you could have a nice dinner for 2, in a more intimate setting. I know this will make it a bit pricier but sometimes just to have a few hours alone is priceless!! Just a suggestion. Good luck with your planing

Thanks for the advice - we will definitely keep that in mind as far as the intimacy is involved. Would a large party (around 8 adults) also be frowned upon because of the small atmosphere?
Intimate was the word I used as I couldn't think of a better one, but this doesn't mean a large group can not enjoy themselves. I don't want to use the word Upscale nor romantc; We have gone to Le Bistro with 6 (all adults) and had a marvelous meal and experience. Nmnita

Pepper: Thanks for the advice - we hope the concierge will be able to help us with that.

Glamourgal: I don't think they sit for kids under 2, but maybe we can talk grandma or grandpa to watch them for one night - although this is a family vacation so we'll have to see.

Would the teppanyaki restaurant be more conducive to having kids with us? I know that that kind of atmosphere is a little less on the intimate side.

Would the teppanyaki restaurant be more conducive to having kids with us? I know that that kind of atmosphere is a little less on the intimate side.

The Teppanyaki Restaurant has a HOT STOVE directly next to the surface for your dinnerware and is not recommended for young children due to the danger of burns, etc.

Edited to add: Of all the specialty restaurants, Salsa is the one that I think my children will like best. We also plan to take the kids to the Blue Lagoon. We will also have one evening at Le Bistro without the kids (we plan to feed them at the buffet first and then take them to the Kids Crew).

My five year old was charged half the cover every night whether he ate off of the specialty menu or not. I would recommend Teppanyaki for well behaved children who know to sit in their seat. The stove top was never close enough to my little guy sitting properly in his seat. It was his favorite resataurant and a great experience

We kept to the buffet and main dining rooms when the kids were small. They would be bored to tears in a long dinner and when they get bored they are going to cry. Does not make them bad kids....is only natural and why put you or your kids through it if you can avoid it. Now it is easier because we can use the kid's program...they do not offer babysitting for children under 2.

Have a great time.

We kept to the buffet and main dining rooms when the kids were small. They would be bored to tears in a long dinner and when they get bored they are going to cry. Does not make them bad kids....is only natural and why put you or your kids through it if you can avoid it. Now it is easier because we can use the kid's program...they do not offer babysitting for children under 2.

Have a great time.

/such good thinking: I have almost always said the kids on ships, in Vegas or any other vacation spot and I am referring to the little ones are not bad, just either bored or very tired. Mommy and daddy need to realize when they choose certain types of vacation with young children, they too will give up somethings. This is not to criticize those who choose cruising but to remind parents that there are compromises to make. NMnita

Archived