Costa compared to Carnival

JOHN 57

We will be on the Venezia 29 September.  I have questions 

1. What is the difference between Costa and Carnival?

2. I have seen a number of videos, and I am impressed. Why would Costa exchange ships with Carnival?

thank you.

Costa is owned by Carnival. For them to move some ships from the Costa Fleet to the Carnival fleet is most probably because they have lost some Asian and Russian Tourists and cut down on their offered cruises in Asia with recent events. Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The pictures I saw here on cruise critic showing the Venezia in a new design combining elements of both Costa and Carnival brands are not matching reality. I saw the Venezia earlier this week in Civitavecchia and the hull was all white, no blue bow at all. The writings didn’t mention Carnival, no stupid slogans as “fun Italian style”. Everything was for 100% Costa design. When Carnival Corporation and Plc really wants to introduce Costa to the US market it would also be better to keep it as it is. For early promotion it might be fine to show a link to a known brand, but it was a wise decision to keep Cunard, Aida, or Holland America to name a few separate from the brand Carnival. I don’t know whether Seabourn guests would be happy to sail suddenly under the brand Carnival. P&O adult-only ships serve a very different clientele than Costa with an extremely child-friendly policy. To flatten the Italian style to Carnival fun would not be the key to a new market.

13 hours ago, At7Seas said:

The pictures I saw here on cruise critic showing the Venezia in a new design combining elements of both Costa and Carnival brands are not matching reality. I saw the Venezia earlier this week in Civitavecchia and the hull was all white, no blue bow at all. The writings didn’t mention Carnival, no stupid slogans as “fun Italian style”. Everything was for 100% Costa design. When Carnival Corporation and Plc really wants to introduce Costa to the US market it would also be better to keep it as it is. For early promotion it might be fine to show a link to a known brand, but it was a wise decision to keep Cunard, Aida, or Holland America to name a few separate from the brand Carnival. I don’t know whether Seabourn guests would be happy to sail suddenly under the brand Carnival. P&O adult-only ships serve a very different clientele than Costa with an extremely child-friendly policy. To flatten the Italian style to Carnival fun would not be the key to a new market.

They are dry docking her before transferring to Carnival.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jsglow said:

They are dry docking her before transferring to Carnival.

May be. However, doing the major works first after leaving service would be the least surprising - and this did not happen. I passed along more or less in dark and inside she was on several decks fully lit, perhaps for removal of all the Chinese signage and minor repair as needed after such a short time in service. And since it is no transfer to Carnival (the brand now) and this project is completely new, we all don‘t know what to expect.

On 12/17/2022 at 10:12 AM, At7Seas said:

The big difference will be service, will it be carnival (probably) or Costa?

50 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

The big difference will be service, will it be carnival (probably) or Costa?

It is called Costa by Carnival. Since Costa SpA is owned by Carnival Corporation and Plc every Costa is a Costa by Carnival. Costa cruises exclusively sold by Carnival Cruises? Definitely yes. Costa ships operated by Carnival Cruises? Some claim so, but neither Costa nor Carnival.

That there will be differences is understandable. Italian hardly will be leading language for cruises that can be booked from the USA only. Or that the typical Italian food could be watered down to an average American taste to avoid the complaints sometimes heard from US customers. We have to wait and see.

• 2 months later...
On 12/15/2022 at 1:05 PM, Dancer Bob said:

Venezia and Firenze were designed for the Chinese market and are not really Costa ships to begin with. It's my understanding that they will be operated by Carnival as a Carnival product for the US market.

They are also decorated with elements resembling the cities they were named after. I believe that would not have worked in the European market, or especially the Italian market, since people from this part of the world are probably not interested in a cardboard version of their own cities. I am sure Costa/Carnival Venezia/Firenze are pretty ships, but Venice and Florance are prettier.